199/81 on USMLE should I be depressed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JStew32

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
199/81 on USMLE, my primary interests are Anesth, Psych, Family med, GI (IM). I feel depressed.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Less so when compared to gas. While you are a bit below the average score for those (based on match data), you arent off by much. Off hand i know that psych has an average of 208 which isnt far off from a 199.

If you decent 3rd year grades and good LORs you wont have a problem matching FM or psych and may even have a good shot at good locations.

Congrats on passing though. That is a feat in itself.

Thanks for the input all.

ANP, I like your attitude. Sounds like very good advice.

199/81 on USMLE, my primary interests are Anesth, Psych, Family med, GI (IM). I feel depressed.

You have the option of studying your rear end off and taking Step II early (get a very strong score). Armed with this and good third year grades, your Step I score becomes less of an issue. Family med and Psych won't be much of a problem for you with that Step I score. Anesthesia will be a reach as it's pretty competitive now. GI will also be a reach for you as you need to match into a solid university IM program (these are competitive) to be in the running for a GI fellowship (one of the most coveted IM subspecialties).

Again, do very, very well on Step II (both parts) and have those scores on your ERAS when you apply for residency. You passed Step I (below the mean) but a pass so it's behind you. Now, you dig in and control your future not by being depressed but by taking action and acing Step II. The good thing is that Step II is much easier to do well on than Step I. It's mostly Internal Medicine (put your focus there) with other things scattered in.

A good score on Step II can get you into the ranks of Anesthesia and university IM programs. Good luck and happy studying.

Umm...i think people are underestimating gas. It used to be that they would roll out the red carpet for any FMG, but it is probably one of the most desirable specialties among med students nowadays...talk to your dean.

You have the option of studying your rear end off and taking Step II early (get a very strong score).

Again, do very, very well on Step II (both parts) and have those scores on your ERAS when you apply for residency.

Does this mean Step II marks back by Nov?