19AA/19TS/16PAT. Retake?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nc0127

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just took the DAT on Monday and got:
19 AA/19 TS/ 16 PAT :eek:

I know the 16 in PAT is HORRIBLE so does that mean I should retake the exam?

The dilemma I face is the whole 90 day policy and application deadlines. Now that I have my score I am planning on submitting my application this week. IF it is reccomended that I re-take the exam, I wont be able to until November 8 so by the time schools receive my updated score it is pretty much too late, no?

Please let me know what you suggest. My Overall GPA is 3.417 and my science GPA is around that as well I believe.

Members don't see this ad.

So I just took the DAT on Monday and got:
19 AA/19 TS/ 16 PAT :eek:

I know the 16 in PAT is HORRIBLE so does that mean I should retake the exam?

The dilemma I face is the whole 90 day policy and application deadlines. Now that I have my score I am planning on submitting my application this week. IF it is reccomended that I re-take the exam, I wont be able to until November 8 so by the time schools receive my updated score it is pretty much too late, no?

Please let me know what you suggest. My Overall GPA is 3.417 and my science GPA is around that as well I believe.

How are your other sections on the DAT? Go with it and apply to schools that do not have a PAT cut off at 16. Apply and see if you can get a interview with it, but do plan to re-take the DAT in 3 months. Don't tell those schools that you will be re-taking in the meantime as they might put a hold on your application. It is not too late even if you get an interview after Dec. 1st.

I agree with coolslugs... a 16 PAT isn't the best score, but with solid ECs and a great personal statement, schools will still be interested. I would definitely plan on retaking the exam, however, as your GPA is around average and it'd be great to boost up those scores and up your competitive edge. After take #2, update the schools you applied to with your new scores - there is still time after your exam date (and December 1, for that matter) to get interviews. By the way, I found Crack the DAT very helpful for the PAT section. I took the DAT twice, and I felt that the Crack software was more difficult that the actual exam on both of my sittings... so if you can master that, you'll be fine on the real thing. Good luck!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much for all the advice.

My other sections were 19 bio/20 gc/20 orgo/ 19 rc/ 15 QR

(I clearly underestimate QR and hardly prepared of it, but I heard that QR doesn't really matter the much aside from affecting the academic average)

If I decide apply to schools now with the scores that I have, but then re-take in November and contact the schools at that time, won't it be too late since they may have already reviewed my application based off of my current scores?

As for Crack Dat Pat...I was using that to prepare and was scoring 18 and 19 each time, so I was really surprised when I got a 16 in PAT on the actual exam. I was taken aback by the hole punching section because I ended up having a lot of 4 fold, mid-fold punches which threw me off since I was not expecting to get that.

If I decide apply to schools now with the scores that I have, but then re-take in November and contact the schools at that time, won't it be too late since they may have already reviewed my application based off of my current scores?

The truth is you should already have submitted your AADSAS application by now, with the last piece missing being your DAT scores. Schools always welcome higher, better DAT scores, and you have the opportunity to change your chances before Dec.

hey dude,

i'm in the same boat as you. i still don't know if i should retake..i have a 20AA/20TS/16PAT and ~3.2 overall/3.0 bcp gpa . I'm still applying but if that doesn't work out this cycle I'm enrolled in a masters prog so hopefully that'll help :scared:

Schools don't seem to care for PATs overall. Probably will wipe some dust off their mahogany desk with my 22PAT and proceed to throw it into the trash bin.

Re-taking is risky, but I would with a 16 PAT. That is no bueno :(

even when i talked to the dentist i shadowed he told me that when he took the DAT (back in like the 60s or 70s) he had soap carving on his exam (US version), and he told me that he completely bombed that section 2x, and it really has no bearing on how good of a dentist you'll be.

in his words, you can most definitely pick up the skills in dental school.

even when i talked to the dentist i shadowed he told me that when he took the DAT (back in like the 60s or 70s) he had soap carving on his exam (US version), and he told me that he completely bombed that section 2x, and it really has no bearing on how good of a dentist you'll be.

in his words, you can most definitely pick up the skills in dental school.

It's funny, ask this same question to someone who did really well at that same section and I'm sure their answer would be exactly the opposite, that it absolutely affects how you will perform as a dentist. Funny how that works

Members don't see this ad :)
It's funny, ask this same question to someone who did really well at that same section and I'm sure their answer would be exactly the opposite, that it absolutely affects how you will perform as a dentist. Funny how that works
I got a 22 on the PAT and I don't think it'll do jack for my application. Doesn't change the fact that I have 2 left paws and can't catch a mouse. :(

hey dude,

i'm in the same boat as you. i still don't know if i should retake..i have a 20AA/20TS/16PAT and ~3.2 overall/3.0 bcp gpa . I'm still applying but if that doesn't work out this cycle I'm enrolled in a masters prog so hopefully that'll help :scared:
What type of Masters program are you in? Is it an SMP? I am thinking about it

Re-taking is risky, but I would with a 16 PAT. That is no bueno :(

I disagree, not a lot of weight is given to the PAT, compared to everything else. 19aa and 19ts are both solid, don't let anyone else tell you otherwise.

However, it should be noted that both your DAT and GPA are very average. I think that would hold you back more than anything, not a 16 on the PAT. But then again, i am just a predent.

Schools don't seem to care for PATs overall. Probably will wipe some dust off their mahogany desk with my 22PAT and proceed to throw it into the trash bin.

California Schools care about it BIG time!! a friend of mine had solid scores (20's) except for the PAT (17) and some CA schools said "if you retake the DAT and get a better PAT scores we'll definately consider you" Her GPA was around 3.8

PAT depends on the school. Find out what the cutoff is and make your decision. The cutoff at LSU is 17 but they made an exception for my friend. Talk to the dean and ask him what you can do to be exempt from the cutoff.

You should really call every school and/or check their website before you can apply with confidence. Don't listen to the vibes people on this forum are giving you, because some schools either have cutoffs or they don't, and they even really care about the PAT or they don't. Get the facts.

@desi don

it is a 1 year masters program at UMDNJ. it's pretty solid because you get to actually take some dental school courses and if you do well in them and attend UMDNJ for dental school, you're exempt from taking them again

*edit*: do you guys think that a solid masters gpa (like a 3.8) would outweigh a 16 on the PAT section?

Wow,
I have not had the chance to log on for a few days and after seeing what everyone has written I feel a little more confident. Thank you all so much for words of encouragement and your advice.

I started my personal statement MONTHS ago with the plans of submitting my application June 1...that did not work out so well. I ended up submitting my application today, and I am hoping that it is not too late :/

After giving it much thought, I have decided to not re-take the DAT. I called up all 15 schools on my list (15 I KNOW :eek:) and only a couple of them said that I should re-take them.

Tufts has a cutoff of 17 in all sections.
UoP suggested I re-take since their averages are 20s+, but for some reason I am still applying there. I have this gut feeling and I could not get myself to remove it from my list. Probably a stupid decision and a waste of money on my part, but the way I see it is "you never know until you try"

By the way, I know a lot of people who did a master program at UMDNJ for various reasons, most of them being that their DAT scores were not high enough for the cycle or their GPA needed some boosting. They all really liked it.
I was doing some research in the oral biology department there and there were a few masters students who were also performing research as part of the curriculum (which I think is great!)

How do you know she's not a cat? lol. And I just looked at her picture, creepy.....

Wow,
I have not had the chance to log on for a few days and after seeing what everyone has written I feel a little more confident. Thank you all so much for words of encouragement and your advice.

I started my personal statement MONTHS ago with the plans of submitting my application June 1...that did not work out so well. I ended up submitting my application today, and I am hoping that it is not too late :/

After giving it much thought, I have decided to not re-take the DAT. I called up all 15 schools on my list (15 I KNOW :eek:) and only a couple of them said that I should re-take them.

Tufts has a cutoff of 17 in all sections.
UoP suggested I re-take since their averages are 20s+, but for some reason I am still applying there. I have this gut feeling and I could not get myself to remove it from my list. Probably a stupid decision and a waste of money on my part, but the way I see it is "you never know until you try"

By the way, I know a lot of people who did a master program at UMDNJ for various reasons, most of them being that their DAT scores were not high enough for the cycle or their GPA needed some boosting. They all really liked it.
I was doing some research in the oral biology department there and there were a few masters students who were also performing research as part of the curriculum (which I think is great!)

Great strategy calling up all the schools. Now you know you stand a better chance!

yanqin4.jpg

yanqin2.jpg

yanqin3.jpg

Thanks so much for all the advice.

Last edited: