19th edition of Sabiston's textbook of surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chirurgia magna

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know when the new edition will be out?

The 18th edition has been out since 2007 and 17th since 2004. Looks like it's about time for the new one. I have AMEX points and wanted to buy Sabiston with points on amazon but would rather wait a few months if the new edition comes out.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)

The 18th edition has been out since 2007 and 17th since 2004. Looks like it's about time for the new one. I have AMEX points and wanted to buy Sabiston with points on amazon but would rather wait a few months if the new edition comes out.

Thanks

Wait until the match results are out and you know what your program uses to teach from. Most programs have a favorite book and IMHO you may wish to use your points for whatever that book is. In addition, if you get a categorical position, the program may purchase the book for you.

Wait until the match results are out and you know what your program uses to teach from. Most programs have a favorite book and IMHO you may wish to use your points for whatever that book is. In addition, if you get a categorical position, the program may purchase the book for you.

Thanks Winged Scapula. I will wait until next week of course. I was just curious. By the way, I just noticed the inscription under your nick name, cougariffic. That is hilarious.

Thanks Winged Scapula. I will wait until next week of course. I was just curious. By the way, I just noticed the inscription under your nick name, cougariffic. That is hilarious.

To reiterate what WS was saying, I wouldn't just wait until next week; I'd wait until next YEAR. My program has provided several textbooks to us as interns - I'm glad I didn't drop 200-300 dollars on one ahead of time.

To reiterate what WS was saying, I wouldn't just wait until next week; I'd wait until next YEAR. My program has provided several textbooks to us as interns - I'm glad I didn't drop 200-300 dollars on one ahead of time.

Thanks for your input. I hear what you are saying, however the book will be free (with credit card points) and the program I am hoping to go only provides access to an online version of the book. I thought this would be a good time to start building my library especially since I am not paying cash for it.

Bestowed upon me by some of the other Admins.

For some reason, they think I fit the profile of a Cougar. Not sure why. ;)

For some reason, they think I fit the profile of a Cougar. Not sure why. ;)
Wait a second.... WS, your a woman??? Niiiiiiice. So here's my initial reaction if you are: :love: , followed closely by :D

As for Sabiston, I have the 18th edition. I've only read the first half but would anyone else agree that its kind of... random? No offense to anyone by that statement, but it just didn't feel right. Granted, I was a senior med student at the time so maybe thats why.

Last edited:

Thanks
I would wait until you start in your program to buy a book. Like WS said, your program might want you to get a specific one, and things may change; they might buy you a book. I know you think it's "free" with the points, but wouldn't it be nice to use those for a vacation in January instead?

And have you at least flipped through Sabiston before you buy? There are many good texts out there. Check out Cameron and Schwartz before you buy.

Does no one read the signature line anymore?

This "surprise" comes up about once every week, it seems. :)
Haha, I've read WS's signature (which I find amusing), but it doesn't imply that she's a woman. Unless, her name is Kimberly Cox as well. Which would explain... a lot.

Or look at the profile (which has my recent picture)?
Ah yes, you are indeed a woman. Sorry for the ignorance earlier. Gotta admit though, just from the smile in the picture, cougariffic sums it up pretty well. And I mean that as a compliment. :cool:

But back to Sabiston 18th edition, does no one feel the same way as I do?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
But back to Sabiston 18th edition, does no one feel the same way as I do?

I have flipped through part of Sabiston and have felt the same way in some subjects. I just figured like everything else, it's hard to get a complete picture and understanding of a topic from one book alone.

Yeah it's not my favorite.

I think everyone learns a little bit differently.

My personal bias is pro-Sabiston. I read the majority of Sabiston 17th edition as an intern, and then about half of Schwartz as a PGY-2, and I hated Schwartz in comparison. I just found it harder to read and lower-yield.

I've also read a lot of Cameron's (8th and 9th ed), and I like that as well, mostly because the chapters are short and sweet, but since the authors change with every edition, I'm unsure how consistent the product is....it does seem to be more cutting edge, with recommendations that can sometimes differ from what you'd expect.

To be honest, I haven't really read a lot of textbooks over the last 2 years. I still use uptodate from time to time, but I mostly just read journals and listen to surgery mp3s. It's suited me well.

Of course, I still read colorectal stuff. My personal favorite is the ASCRS Textbook, and I also read Fazio's book (Current Therapy in CRS) cover to cover and thought it was good (and a quicker read).

So, I have a question about programs providing books. As posted above, there was a 3 year gap between the 17th and 18th editions of Sabiston Surgery. Residency in GSx is 5 years. Do any rich (or prudent) programs that are pro-Sabiston provide a new copy to residents (now senior) as part of their training, or is it up to the residents to procure/acquire the new edition from book funds or out of their own pockets?

This is not applicable to shorter training schemes, such as IM and EM (along with the core texts not being updated as frequently).

I have flipped through part of Sabiston and have felt the same way in some subjects. I just figured like everything else, it's hard to get a complete picture and understanding of a topic from one book alone.
True. One can never get the big picture from only one book, but Sabiston doesn't even come close. I don't know how many of you have read Bailey & Love, but I think it's a great book. Yea, it's probably not enough for anything past intern year, but still, GREAT BOOK.

Yeah it's not my favorite.
It's disheartening really. I heard so many good things about it only to be disappointed. Luckily I only paid $40 for it instead of full price.

To be honest, I haven't really read a lot of textbooks over the last 2 years. I still use uptodate from time to time, but I mostly just read journals and listen to surgery mp3s. It's suited me well.
Hey SLU, do you mind elaborating on what surgery mp3's are? Are you simply referring to audio files in general or is 'surgery mp3s' an actual title?

So, I have a question about programs providing books. As posted above, there was a 3 year gap between the 17th and 18th editions of Sabiston Surgery. Residency in GSx is 5 years. Do any rich (or prudent) programs that are pro-Sabiston provide a new copy to residents (now senior) as part of their training, or is it up to the residents to procure/acquire the new edition from book funds or out of their own pockets?
Good question! Can someone please address this?

True. One can never get the big picture from only one book, but Sabiston doesn't even come close. I don't know how many of you have read Bailey & Love, but I think it's a great book. Yea, it's probably not enough for anything past intern year, but still, GREAT BOOK.

I have Bailey and Love...it is too basic for more senior residents.

Good question! Can someone please address this?

Most programs that I am familiar with do not automatically provide you with new editions, but if you have a book fund, you could purchase a newer edition (although bear in mind that most stuff in medicine and surgery does not change *radically* in 5 years that would necessarily require a new text with every new edition).

Most programs that I am familiar with do not automatically provide you with new editions, but if you have a book fund, you could purchase a newer edition (although bear in mind that most stuff in medicine and surgery does not change *radically* in 5 years that would necessarily require a new text with every new edition).

There has to be enough different about it for it to actually BE a "new edition". The bigger problem might be if there are required readings, and the chapters and pages won't be the same between the editions.

If there was only 3 years between the 17th and 18th editions, there had to be something rather substantial in the update. As my fortune cookie said today, "Many littles make a lot"!

Residents where I train read a basic science book for the first 2-3 years (Sabiston, Greenfield, Schwartz), then transition to a more clinical text (Cameron, Mastery of Surgery, etc). So we end up switching books anyway. Also, not everyone really reads textbooks all thoughout residency. The later years tend to focus on journal articles and things like Selected Readings.

Just noticed the new version of Cameron is out, FYI

This is not applicable to shorter training schemes, such as IM and EM (along with the core texts not being updated as frequently).

I got lucky and was able to get 2 sabistons in my 5yr cycle- sold them both for drinking money on amazon!! was lucky because the 2nd one had online access, who reads the real book anymore?

I got lucky and was able to get 2 sabistons in my 5yr cycle- sold them both for drinking money on amazon!! was lucky because the 2nd one had online access, who reads the real book anymore?
I do. I like them. Staring at an LCD screen is tiring on the eyes. I'm also not tempted to dink around online when I'm reading a dead tree textbook versus an online version.

There has to be enough different about it for it to actually BE a "new edition". The bigger problem might be if there are required readings, and the chapters and pages won't be the same between the editions.

If there was only 3 years between the 17th and 18th editions, there had to be something rather substantial in the update. As my fortune cookie said today, "Many littles make a lot"!

I'm not so sure. Most surgical texts put out a new edition every 3-5 years; this is fairly standard. Many of them simply have the same chapters but with new authors. I see it as a money maker for the publishers and authors rather than some exciting new material that needs to be rushed into print.

There are differences of course, and additions or deletions of material, but all in all, IMHO these 1000+ page books are NOT significantly different that one needs to buy the new editions.

And I say this as someone who owns the last 4 editions of Cameron, the last 3 of Greenfield, the last ACS, Sabiston and multiple other new and old editions of surgical texts. I can look at them, read the Foreward and tell you there ain't a lot of new.

I love the Expert Consult on-line access...and while I prefer hardcopy books, you cannot beat the convenience of accessing a chapter anywhere you can get an internet signal.

I love the Expert Consult on-line access...and while I prefer hardcopy books, you cannot beat the convenience of accessing a chapter anywhere you can get an internet signal.
How much does this cost for someone out in the community? We are sheltered from the real costs of these things (and don't even have to login if we're on our university's network) while in training/school.

And I say this as someone who owns the last 4 editions of Cameron, the last 3 of Greenfield, the last ACS, Sabiston and multiple other new and old editions of surgical texts. I can look at them, read the Foreward and tell you there ain't a lot of new.

I guess you didnt sell your books for drinking money..... Must be nice to be an attending..

How much does this cost for someone out in the community? We are sheltered from the real costs of these things (and don't even have to login if we're on our university's network) while in training/school.

Comes with the cost of the new text. For example, Cameron is $159 on Amazon and comes with Expert Consult.

I guess you didnt sell your books for drinking money.....
:laugh:

No, I'm a pretty cheap drunk so didn't need much money.

I am known for going to conferences and spending several hundreds of dollars on books.

Must be nice to be an attending..

For many reasons, not the least of which is that books are a business expense that I charge to my corporate credit card.

Most senior residents "graduate" to a more clinically-oriented textbook, like Cameron's, Mastery, or Maingot's. So it's rare to have purchased more than one edition of any given textbook (the ones used in your junior years tend to be basic science-heavy).

:laugh:

No, I'm a pretty cheap drunk so didn't need much money.

I am known for going to conferences and spending several hundreds of dollars on books.

(1) I think the term is "cheap date." :)

(2) THAT'S what you're known for at conferences? Gotta work on building up your street cred then!

Most senior residents "graduate" to a more clinically-oriented textbook, like Cameron's, Mastery, or Maingot's. So it's rare to have purchased more than one edition of any given textbook (the ones used in your junior years tend to be basic science-heavy).

(1) I think the term is "cheap date." :)

Ahh...perhaps. But that would imply you wouldn't have to also buy me a pricey porterhouse to go with that wine.

(2) THAT'S what you're known for at conferences? Gotta work on building up your street cred then!

Its *one* of the things I'm known for at conferences. The others would be my shoes and clothing, my social skills in organizing everyone to go out and my networking.

Wow, you must have skipped undergrad and med school. I always wondered who the text book companies were able to keep ripping off

Wow, you must have skipped undergrad and med school. I always wondered who the text book companies were able to keep ripping off

There is only one book (beyond the ACLS/PALS/merit badge class of books) for which I've purchased several editions, and that was "Death To Dust: What Happens To Dead Bodies?" - and that was for personal perusal. There IS a marked difference between the 1st and 2nd editions of that book. The updated edition to which I referred above will be the first where I have an actual work text against which to compare.

Ahh...perhaps. But that would imply you wouldn't have to also buy me a pricey porterhouse to go with that wine.

Its *one* of the things I'm known for at conferences. The others would be my shoes and clothing, my social skills in organizing everyone to go out and my networking.

Touche!

So you're the social planner at these functions? Where do you guys go after the conference, the nearest bar? :)

Touche!

So you're the social planner at these functions? Where do you guys go after the conference, the nearest bar? :)

Bar? Sometimes although usually we just meet there and then move on to other activities.

Last year in Vegas, we went out for a Cirque Du Soleil show instead of the boring President's Gala (usually some oldies drinking and dancing) and another evening for some spa treatments.

Usually I try and get one of the device reps (Mentor, Myriad, Genomic Health, Ethicon, Bard, etc.) to take us out for an expensive dinner and drinks. I managed to arrange one for every night of a 4 day conference last year. The Genomic Health rep just emailed me for suggestions for where to have a dinner in DC for our conference in April, so I'm working on that. :D

Hey...while we're on the topic of books, I ordered the new Zollinger and Zollinger and it arrived yesterday.

I see its the "International Edition" (not available in the US - woot!). What's the difference? I don't see any funny spellings like oesophagus. ;)

Hey...while we're on the topic of books, I ordered the new Zollinger and Zollinger and it arrived yesterday.

I see its the "International Edition" (not available in the US - woot!). What's the difference? I don't see any funny spellings like oesophagus. ;)

I was debating buying the kindle edition...

Usually I try and get one of the device reps (Mentor, Myriad, Genomic Health, Ethicon, Bard, etc.) to take us out for an expensive dinner and drinks. I managed to arrange one for every night of a 4 day conference last year.
You are a good friend to have. This is awesome.

Zollinger is awesome. Underrated IMHO.

I only do it with products I actually use and with reps I actually like, otherwise I feel sleazy. :p
Commendable.

I'll have to try to submit something to a breast conference in residency... Let me know which ones you go to. :cool:

Bar? Sometimes although usually we just meet there and then move on to other activities.

Last year in Vegas, we went out for a Cirque Du Soleil show instead of the boring President's Gala (usually some oldies drinking and dancing) and another evening for some spa treatments.

Usually I try and get one of the device reps (Mentor, Myriad, Genomic Health, Ethicon, Bard, etc.) to take us out for an expensive dinner and drinks. I managed to arrange one for every night of a 4 day conference last year. The Genomic Health rep just emailed me for suggestions for where to have a dinner in DC for our conference in April, so I'm working on that. :D

Awesome! I've seen "O" myself, and it's an amazing show.

I need to work on these reps...I sure as hell know I'm going to be relying on a LOT of devices in the future...

Of course, I still read colorectal stuff. My personal favorite is the ASCRS Textbook, and I also read Fazio's book (Current Therapy in CRS) cover to cover and thought it was good (and a quicker read).

what mp3s?? just curious.

After reading British books I must say, nothing beats GORD and PaEdiatrics