1qwk oral morphine OCD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cbrons

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever heard of or know any other investigations with mu-agonist/glutamine antagonists in the treatment of OCD?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15766302

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is a theory I hear mentioned here and there but I cannot find validation of it in journals that u-receptor stimulation causes release of serotonin and dopamine. I have seen a guy put on Suboxone become manic, seemingly as a result of the Suboxone. It was either that or this guy just happened to have a manic episode start a few days after the Suboxone started.

How valid is the theory? Don't know. Several people abuse opioids to relieve anxiety. It could be that the euphoria caused by the opioids really isn't therapeutically doing something other than making the person more euphoric, thus improving their ability to tolerate obsessions.

There is a theory I hear mentioned here and there but I cannot find validation of it in journals that u-receptor stimulation causes release of serotonin and dopamine. I have seen a guy put on Suboxone become manic, seemingly as a result of the Suboxone. It was either that or this guy just happened to have a manic episode start a few days after the Suboxone started.

How valid is the theory? Don't know. Several people abuse opioids to relieve anxiety. It could be that the euphoria caused by the opioids really isn't therapeutically doing something other than making the person more euphoric, thus improving their ability to tolerate obsessions.

Have you heard anything about glutamate-targeted treatments for OCD? I.e. with Riluzole?

Anti-glutamatergic agents are being investigated for a host of disorders and are hotly discussed as treatments for everything from psychosis to mood disorders. It's all investigational, though. You'd be going way off-label to be trying riluzole, and that stuff ain't cheap.

Anti-glutamatergic agents are being investigated for a host of disorders and are hotly discussed as treatments for everything from psychosis to mood disorders. It's all investigational, though. You'd be going way off-label to be trying riluzole, and that stuff ain't cheap.

Dr. Koran from Standford University (the one who conducted the original research cited in the OP) got back to me. She sent me a few articles (which I attached) on glutamate-targeted research/treatment.

Attachments

• glutamate.ocd.pdf
    115 KB · Views: 37
  • Ondansetron.OCD.pdf
    81.6 KB · Views: 26
  • memantine.ocd.pasquini.pdf
    82.2 KB · Views: 33

That likely has a lot to do with the abuse of opiods, however, in this study the qweek dosing would suggest that some other mechanism is in effect as well, as the euphoria would have worn off for a significant time in between doses, and one would even expect some rebound dysphoria during that time I would think.

This is why a psych Dx is a risk factor for aberrant opioid behavior as per the opioid risk tool.