1st attempt at OAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aaron_Tram

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got back my official OAT scores the other day, and since all of
you put yours up, I figured I'd put mine up too!

Academic Average: 390
Quantitative Reasoning: 400
Reading Comp: 380
Physics: 380
Biology: 370
Gen Chem: 400
Organic Chem: 400
Total Science: 400

Pretty good, huh?

Studying for the MCAT really gets you ready for the OAT I guess!

Members don't see this ad.

show off... ;) :p

But serious, those are great scores.. you could pretty much pick your school with those. Berkeley bound?? or are you shooting for med school... ??

Aaron_Tram, Those are great scores, how did you do it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Those are phenomenal!
I had less than that and got accepted to all 3 schools that I wanted. You're a lock!!

Luv,
Eyegirl

Aaron_Tram

You rocked it!!! Now... help a fellow future OAT taker. I want to know in detail exactly what you did to study. I'm very nervous and will be taking the OAT next October. I'm nervous because I'm graduating Community college in May so first of all am worried about my classes being "equal" to those of a University. Most of my prereqs then will have been completed at the CC level (except my Organic and 2nd semester of Physics which will be taken at University of Illinois, Chicago- my 1st semester of Physics is Engineering Physics, but at the Community college level). Also, I'm taking the OAT early because the information will be fresh in my mind and I want to apply for early admission at ICO so I want to do REALLY, REALLY well on the OAT!!! Currently I have collected MCAT study books and MCAT study cards so will be trying to study the MCAT way...am I on the right track?? Help!!

:confused:

I used MCAT books to study for the OAT and also did very very well (not to brag but even better than Aaron_Tram...alright, I am bragging). I took it in October 2000.

I think using MCAT materials is a good way to study for the OAT, except for the mathematics part...you'll have to do that on your own or with the scarce OAT prep books that are out there unless you're a natural in math. You can also use GRE prep books for the math section (check to see if you local library has some so you don't have to buy them) as the OAT and GRE quantitative reasoning sections are very similar.

If you can do well on the MCAT you will smoke the OAT as the OAT is much more straightforward. The questions are more knowledge-type questions rather than tricky passage based ones like on the MCAT. The knowledge base is similar so those MCAT prep books can help out a lot. I found that doing as many practice questions as possible was the key to doing well.

Ok, so I'm replying to all you guys. I really have no secret when it comes to the OAT. I studied for the MCAT with the Kaplan study guide. I agree that the OAT is very much different than the MCAT, but if you know the stuff for the MCAT, then you will do well on the OAT. The OAT is much more knowledge-based whereas the MCAT actually tests your ability to think and reason. After taking the MCAT in August, I didn't even think about the OAT until the day before, when I basically just looked over physics formulas. Most people worry the most about general chemistry and organic chemistry, but I am currently a senior chemistry major at a large university. I'll admit that I didn't even study for the chemistry or biology sections. I have also taken upper-level math courses (differential equations, calculus II, and linear algebra) and biology courses. I have no secrets, but I think that there is no real substitute for knowledge and a quality undergrad education. Also, when I went to take the OAT, I was somewhat perplexed. I took the test at UNC-CH. The next closest testing center was about 100 miles away. However, there were only 26 people taking the test that day (6 guys!). What's the deal?

the larger testing centers for the OAT are where there's an OD school. I took the test at UCBerkely and there were close to 200 in the room. My friends took it at Texas Tech university and there were only 5 of them. At UNC there's no school nearby so it's not a common test to take. That's also why it's hard to find OAT books at the bookstore.

But lately the trend has been predominately female admissions. My class is 66% female and the first year class this year is 70% female. I'm not sure what's causing the swing, but I believe it has something to do with the booming (or used to be booming) high tech industry. Guys can make more right out of undergrad in computers rather than going on to a professional four year graduate program.