1st DAT on 8/21. Any advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrDisrespect

Reaction score
I’ve been doing BC and have been through the 1st week. I don’t know when I should start doing practice problems/tests from DAT Destroyer for the sections I’ve reviewed so far. For Keyhole/TFE, I’ve been ~80% after doing the Practice Sets. BIO/GC, been getting the same, ~80% for the quizzes. Since I’m doing BC and some Day’s are packed, when is it a good time to go back & “review” material?

RSS I have along with BC:
- Cliffs AP BIO, Kaplan Review Notes & Prep Plus, DAT Destroyer, Math Destroyer. I’m wondering if anyone recommends any other rss, or should I be good with these? I’ve been thinking about CRACK PAT, and maybe... Chad’s Videos?

I know there’s a lot of questions I’ve asked, but this is the last one! What is a GOOD AA & TS score??? Is it at least a 22-23 For both?
THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP & RECOMMENDATION! I appreciate you all in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I would do 1 month of Destroyer, PAT practice (PAT Booster is great stuff. I'd save the PAT on Bootcamp for full lengths), and RC booster pack from Bootcamp. Then I would do 1 month of 2 full lengths per week with PAT Booster practice and Destroyer review in between. These full lengths are important to get used to the length and format.

If you have already completed your content review, I would review the material as you encounter them in your practice. I would really focus on understanding something 100% almost immediately after I encounter it. NEVER delay reviewing something you don't understand for another day and don't settle for a "I kinda get it but not entirely".

Check out my breakdown and study approach thread for more info.

Last edited:
I would do 1 month of Destroyer, PAT practice (PAT Booster is great stuff. I'd save the PAT on Bootcamp for full lengths), and RC booster pack from Bootcamp. Then I would do 1 month of 2 full lengths per week with PAT Booster practice and Destroyer review in between. These full lengths are important to get used to the length and format.

If you have already completed your content review, I would review the material as you encounter them in your practice. I would really focus on understanding something 100% almost immediately after I encounter it. NEVER delay reviewing something you don't understand for another day and don't settle for a "I kinda get it but not entirely".

Check out my breakdown and study approach thread for more info.
1 month of destroyer as in after I finish 3 more weeks, I should start on Destroyer for the stuff I already learned??

I just read your breakdown and DAMN you did amazing!! I feel like I have the same breakdown/thought process as you do. So will definitely use this breakdown along with the DAT BOOTCAMP study schedule. When do you feel like it is a good time to start integrating Destroyer? I'm half way through with GC, and still only on chapter 4 for bio. Ochem was my strongest class out of all during undergrad. So i feel like Ochem will just be a review of mechanisms, concepts. I appreciate your feedback much! HAS HELPED ME MUCHO!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
1 month of destroyer as in after I finish 3 more weeks, I should start on Destroyer for the stuff I already learned??

I just read your breakdown and DAMN you did amazing!! I feel like I have the same breakdown/thought process as you do. So will definitely use this breakdown along with the DAT BOOTCAMP study schedule. When do you feel like it is a good time to start integrating Destroyer? I'm half way through with GC, and still only on chapter 4 for bio. Ochem was my strongest class out of all during undergrad. So i feel like Ochem will just be a review of mechanisms, concepts. I appreciate your feedback much! HAS HELPED ME MUCHO!!!!
Since you've already started Destroyer, continue with it. I would not try and find specific questions in Destroyer to do during your first pass through it. Go in order so topics are random in order. In 3-4 weeks, you should aim to have at least completed 2 full passes through Destroyer. During the final month before the test, try to do another pass through Destroyer while doing full lengths. A week before the test, I would suggest doing a final review of your notes and questions that you had a tough time on. If you use a spreadsheet like I recommended in my other thread, you should know which questions to target.

Also, I'm sure the DAT Bootcamp schedule is fine but don't be afraid to deviate as necessary to target weaknesses. I would do this targeting AFTER the first pass through Destroyer though.

Hi! This is just my opinion, so take it as you will. If your exam is coming up in a little under two months, I think you're using a lot of different resources that may drive you a bit crazy.

If you already have Bootcamp and the Destroyers (math and general), try not to spend more money and focus on what you have. I swear by the Destroyers and went through them a few times for the sciences and especially the Math Destroyer for QR, and I found that perfect for my review. If you want to throw in BC, go for it. Just know that the full lengths in there may not be true estimates of your actual score. Those exams are many years old now, so if anything use it as practice to gauge your confidence. If you know the information behind each of the sections, you'll be ready for the exam. Practice tests may not tell you that.

As for the PAT, I've read and heard that it is more accurate than BC for the PAT. It certainly did me very well. But if you think BC will suffice, stick with that and save some cash. Applications are super expensive, so don't spend all your money on this test. For RC, I never really used anything for practice, so I can't comment much there. I pretty much only read science articles everyday. I've heard of some people using GRE free RC exams online, but do what you already have.

Last suggestion material wise, steer clear of Crack the DAT. I bought the full pack last year and it was absolutely useless. Nothing seemed representative to me, from the few practices I took.

And everyone above is right about the ideal score I believe - 19 should really be the minimum, 21 to be competitive. Regardless, these numbers shouldn't matter in your preparing. You need to shoot for a 30 on every section and go into that test believing you can do it.

Best of luck! Keep us updated on how you do.