1st diag score under 18 but real thing over 30? Anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Streamline

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone gotten a diag score under 18 and manage to pull off 30+ on the real thing? If so, how did you boost? What did you use as prep?

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't get below an 18, but if i remember correctly, I got a 21 on my Kaplan diagnostic and got a 34 on the real thing. What I did is study Kaplan stuff for 8 hours a day everyday for the 2 weeks up to the test. Although to be honest, I don't think I tried all that hard on my diagnostic (plus the Kaplan diagnostics tend to be more difficult anyway).

one of my good friends got a 16 on the diagnostic kaplan and a 38 on the real thing. I believe his highest score on an AMCAS practice test was a 33 too. weird **** happens!!!!

it is a diagnostic. It tells you what you need to study NOT what you are going to get on the actual exam--unless of course you don't study in your weak areas

Members don't see this ad :)
we have heard stories of people that did better than their best practice test and people that hit their average practice test score on the real mcat... but does anyone know someone that did worse than their average or equal to their worst practice test score?

Yes, I know someone who scored lower than her average practice results, though I don't know by how much lower (or what the exact digits were). Considering she's in med now, I doubt it was a significant difference.

I've said this a billion times on similar threads... but YES, it's possible.

It probably just means you're not a science major, am I right?

A friend got an 18 diag, 34 real thing, and pulled some 36 practice scores. It's well within the range of reality.

I got a not so great score on my kaplan diagnostic. I haven't taken the real MCAT yet (I'm taking it on Friday), but my scores have risen dramatically. Just lots of practice and studying does the trick. I found that reading the Kaplan books multiple times as well as doing a lot of practice problems really helps.

I have gotten as high as 38 on Kaplan full legnths and 36 on the AAMC CBTs. It's possible. You can do it. I have taken 25-30 full verbal tests (I also have a subscription to the Economist) and I have seen my verbal score consistently rise. Today I got a 13 on the verbal section on CBT 6. Just practice practice practice practice. You'll be fine if you put in the time.

Last edited:
17 on my first diagnositc

33 on the real thing

I took Kaplan. I didn't think they're classroom was helpful, but the amount of materials they give you is amazing. like everyone else, i spent time focusing on my weaknesses and enhancing my strengths. i went through every test (full length, section, subject) until i knew why i got questions right and wrong.