1st Generation Doctor - Advice is Welcome & Encouraged!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Labrine

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well I guess I should start with a simple "hello"!

So I'm a first generation soon to be M1 and I've worked my ass off just like everyone else to get this far. However, here is the point where I acknowledge my lack of knowledge from a support system perspective. I am the first on my father's side to obtain a bachelors and on my mother's side I am the first to even get a masters degree. There is a lot of uncharted territory with the progression to MD. I'm so excited and I'm 100% geared to face whatever is thrown at me. The only thing is I don't know what that will be. I know the gist and some 3rd hand commentary, but this is just an area where a lot of unknowns exist for a 1st generation. (I still get this big goofy grin on my face when I think about the fact I'm going to be a doctor.)

From the aspect of interacting with patients I think I'm pretty well set. I've handled patients as an EMT for 6 years and I've spent the last 3 years at a drug addiction center going through HIV and Hep C testing and counseling. I cried like a freaking baby the first time I had to tell a mother that she was HIV positive and she had no idea. I kept it together and was professional during the session, but afterwards it was almost as heartbreaking as the first time I lost a patient as an EMT. But I picked myself up and I kept going with more vigor than ever and my patient care skills were better for it. I understand these demands. What I don't know is what I well ... what I don't know. So this is to all of those current physicians, medical students, and multigenerational physicians! I am asking for the insights I have no way of knowing. From private practice to a large hospital system to what demands clinical trials lie upon a physician and how well patient care can be balanced with those demands along with a whole host of whatever it is I haven't even though of to think of. I love to learn so PLEASE!!! share your insights, commentary, and observations!

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

First- congratulations. I was also the first physician in my family. While they were extremely supportive, the "been there, done that" knowledge was clearly lacking. Fortunately, I didn't find that to be much of a problem. The "progression to MD" can be daunting, but most US schools are going to provide you with the support you need as far as actual career progression. I know mine did- it would have taken a conscious, concerted effort not to progress through the requirements to my degree. I wouldn't start worrying about different practice models or anything like that just yet - for first year, focus on figuring out what method of learning the material works best for you. Then focus on learning it.

Reactions: 1 users