1st interview of 5 on Monday UT San Antonio. Any last minute advice?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by topher67, 09.20.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. topher67

topher67 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I have spent many hours researching the school/city, and made outlines for over 50 most common/popular questions. These outlines have made it easy for me to keep a mental checklist/outline to prevent me from going blank during the interview. I have been practicing mock interview with multiple health care professionals and they all think, I'm going to nail the interview. Butttt I still have never attended a dental interview, so my mind is running with the WHAT IF factors. -___-

My outlines/response reflect my essays and every bit of information the schools have from my application, or in other words THE TRUTH lol.

I worked in a dental lab creating dentures and partials for a summer 3 years ago. I have also shadowed my general dentist every spring break and periodically throughout the summers, for the past 4-5 years. I'm a little worried if the schools are going to expect me to know every detail I have learned, which I can not remember from the lab. Just the general process of making dentures and partials.

So any advice or comments to ease my what if worries would be great. :) Thanks guys/gals!!!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. free99

free99 SDN Moderator 2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    No school wants to hear about fine details of how to prep a denture, so don't worry about that. Sounds like you've done everything you can to prep, just try to relax and go knock their socks off with your charisma and good looks.

4. SXCoronado

SXCoronado 2+ Year Member

Last edited: 08.23.15
  5. MasterDental

MasterDental 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Don't pick your nose. And you should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: 09.21.14
  6. Imrizzle

Imrizzle 5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    What source did you use for the 50 most popular questions? Thx

7. topher67

topher67 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Well.... You guys were correct, the interview went AWESOME :) I wayyyyy over prepared.

8. topher67

topher67 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    It was from a combination of google searching sources. Mainly the most common question from sources, like tell me about your self, why dentist, what are your strengths/weaknesses, what makes you stand out from others, is there anything you would like to add that is not on your application, the big one...why our school.

It was like they were trying to sell me on their school, more than interviewing me.

Imrizzle likes this.
  9. BabyShades

BabyShades 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

San Antonio interview was that chill?

10. pink_sprinkles

pink_sprinkles

Pre-Dental
    I heard you have to write an essay on the spot at the SA interview… fact or fiction?

11. cacajuate

cacajuate 2+ Year Member

Fact. Dr Segura tells you it doesn't have to be long, they just want to make sure that you actually did write your personal statement.

12. Ferneezy

Ferneezy I don't always Go Blue, but when I do... 5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    this should be every candidate's experience on the interview trail. by the time you get to this point, it's obvi the school wants you, and it should be a matter of them making their best possible bid for you to accept their (eventual) offer.

13. BabyShades

Pre-Dental
    How does that work? Doesn't your essay go through multiple editing?

14. cacajuate

cacajuate 2+ Year Member

I assumed your writing style.

They want to make sure you didn't have someone else completely write your essay. Even with some edits, the core of your writing will still be there.

15. BabyShades

Pre-Dental

Oh I always hear different things about that part of the interview. For example, I heard that they were just trying to see if you can write coherently.

16. topher67

topher67 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    They asked if there was anything I could change about my education what would it be. I talked about research, b/c I had not preformed any research in my undergrad and wish I would have. I didn't really talk about my school career in my personal statement b/c it is shown everywhere else in the application.

Last edited: 09.29.14
  17. topher67

topher67 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    University of Tennessee was even more chill than San Antonio, so instead of "having a conversation" with the three interviewers, I really focused on letting them know how my leadership, communication, and hand skill set would have a positive transition into dental school. Basically if you practice enough and make out lines you can control the interview.

About the ads