1st INTERVIEW!!! What to wear??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BUmiken12

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just got my first interview at UT Houston, and I had one question for all of you: should I wear the white shirt, tie, black suit, traditional look or should I wear the suit I usually wear. It's an off-blue shirt with a black suit....not to sound arrogant or anything, but it's kinda trendy, and I don't know if they're frown upon that. Any help is greatly appreciated!! Take care!

Members don't see this ad.

interview already? WOW

My rec letters are still coming in!

Members don't see this ad :)
when did you submit tmdsas? how long did it take to process it? and when was it sent to schools?

Nice work on the interview, dirty. I suppose this early of an invite is to be expected though, considering that you applied to UTH through something faster and more efficient than the AMCAS black hole.

Personally, I would go with traditional. Save the flashy stuff for when you're clubbing it, player.

I actually disagree. Just find something that makes you look good. I'm for sure not going for a black suit and white shirt, that is so incredibly boring. Show the adcomms a little style, Navy Blue looks awesome with a greyish/bluish shirt or something and a nice blue tie with a little white.

Just my opinion, I'm going to my interviews looking good. I'm sure ther will be some others not dressed in black, so it won't stick out.

Whatever makes you feel good man, cuz that feeling will help ease the jitters

I usually wore a blue shirt with my dark blue suit, and it looked pretty cool. It doens't really matter what you wear as long as it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb during the interview day. There's going to be lots of other people in suits, so it doesn't hurt to stand out a little bit. Honestly though, i dont think it matters that much what color suit/ shirt you use as long as its just neat and fits nicely.
Oh yeah, and it doesn't hurt to have a cool looking tie on too.

I suggest seeing the "The official, why hunter green is an inappropriate color for an interview suit thread" for more information about the kiske interview wardrobe.

BUMiken, congrats!
bruinkid: go to the "Texas Pre-Meds" thread; there's info on there about processing dates with TMDSAS, etc.

Wear something professional. You don't want to remembered by what you wore, but what you say and what impression you give. I would go with either a black or navy blue suit. Most say your shirt should be white or blue, but I wore one that was almost goldish (with a flat black suit) and it looked really classy, but still erred on the conservative side. As long as your tie isn't loud and matches both your suit and shirt..you'll look aight. Be sure to have shoes that match your clothes (in terms of class and nattiness). You don't want to wear busted up shoes with a new suit. Believe me, I saw lots of kids doing this on interviews.

Oh, and as far as carrying around something to take notes on...I went in empty handed. I didn't want anything in my hands that I would fidget with. I felt I displayed more confidence going into my interviews with only what I had to say, in regards to both my words and my presence.

go with a nice shiny gold versace tie, and some matching cufflinks...they'll love that.