1st Semester Grade Update worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlphaMagnum

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've applied to ~25 schools between the US and Canada (I live in Saskatchewan), received my share of rejections, and don't have any acceptances yet unfortunately.

Most Canadian schools indicate whether they want my first-term transcripts sent to them and I've obliged with as much haste as possible. I haven't found any indication either way on American med school websites so I figured I'd bring my question here.

My most recent semester's GPA continues to reflect an upward trend in my grades, kind of like a second mountainpeak (the first peak being first year and the valley being second year/1st half of third year).

That feels significant to me, but not in an earthshaking kind of way, so I'm wondering if it's worth it to send my latest transcripts to the schools which haven't made a decision on my application yet. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

PS: To everyone else applying this cycle, I know your pain. It's not fun to wonder whether you'll get in anywhere.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, send it. Unfortunately this late in the game it probably won't help you at schools you have not already interviewed, or been invited to interview, at.

Thanks for the advice. I'll likely do just that, but unfortunately McGill has no way for me to print or download my own transcripts. The only thing I can do is request that they send official printed transcripts from the Registrar's office, which'll take 2 weeks to happen rather than just a day for me to download and upload. What can I do?

Members don't see this ad :)
At this point in the cycle most actions you can take may seem desperate, but you're running out of time as it is. Do everything you can to maybe get your file re-reviewed. Send the grades.

Sent from my Nexus 10

Thanks for the advice. I'll likely do just that, but unfortunately McGill has no way for me to print or download my own transcripts. The only thing I can do is request that they send official printed transcripts from the Registrar's office, which'll take 2 weeks to happen rather than just a day for me to download and upload. What can I do?

Can't print your own transcript? That's lame. I guess you'd have to wait for your registrar...

I just viewed my unofficial transcript online, printed to PDF, then sent it as an attachment.

I tried printing to PDF myself but it didn't work so well; I'll try again. Maybe avoiding "Print Selection" will produce a better result?

Could you write a brief update letter including your grades? Or do they need to receive an actual copy of the unofficial or official transcript?

Generally speaking most schools will accept an update letter/email where you simply mention your courses and grades received. If they don't believe you or want further proof they can ask request it from you. Obviously don't lie, if you do get accepted they will eventually see your transcript with actual grades.