1st year and 1st semester of college over, did I ruin my chance at Med school?

Protagonistic

Removed
Jun 21, 2010
If you know me then you know the answer.
Status
Pre-Medical
I attend a local university, live at home and commute, finished high school with a 3.4 GPA and made a 1950 on my SAT. I live with my parents.

Well, my first semester of college and first year of college is over. I do not
attend a top university but I am at a honors program in a tier 4 school (if opportunity allows I want to transfer elsewhere but right now that seems unrealistic). Here is how my first semester of college has been.

So far I took 5 classes (bad idea). I know of my grades in two classes, I have an A in sociology and a C in *coughs and waits*, Principles of Chemistry (Chem 1211).

I am sure I have a B in all other classes when I met with my professor and two have confirmed I have at least a B in their class. My history class I may have an A in. So far here is how it looks like:

Sociology : A
Chem: C
Precal: B (maybe an A)
Honors English: B
History: High B or an A

Thing is I thought Ratemyprofessors was a bunch of crap, well I regretted it deeply as one of my classes had a professor who only lectured about irrelevant stuff for the first hour of class and the final minutes told you he would test you on the following chapters, tests had the smallest detail from the chapters.

I will most likely either pull out with a 3.2 or 3.0 GPA my first semester of college and I am disappointed in myself for it. A lot went wrong.

First of all I was too concerned about other irrelevant stuff like will girls like me because of my race/ethnicity (I am an Indian (India) guy) and I was worried about living independently and things.

I do want Med school to be an option for me but I really f*cked up my first semester. Did I just ruin my chance at med school?

Ewt812

7+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2010
Status
A lot of people that I met (including myself) bombed the first semester/quarter in college. I had a 3.0 in my first quarter of college, but now I have a 3.7. I think it is okay to bomb your first quarter/semester as long as you realize you're no longer in high school and recover your gpa quickly.

Nov 27, 2010
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
  • Too early to quit.
  • You can retake classes and improve you grades if you really want to.
  • Those grades are not terrible.
  • Relax and take a deep breath.
  • Trust in Ratemyprofessor.com. While some of the reviews are bs, probably the students fault for getting a bad grade, the majority of the reviews are pretty legit. My classes and grades definitely have improved significantly once I started picking my professors more wisely.

Jul 13, 2009
Status
i started college with slightly below a 3.0 and finished with a 3.7+

you can do it, don't give up

Aug 13, 2009
Status
Medical Student
You're doomed, if you even think of applying, AMCAS will know, and they'll send white coated ninja assassins trained in medicine to make them extra deadly, who will kill you before you can even blink. :D

It's your first semester, not an amazing start, but not completely terrible. People recover from much worse, and this early, if you improve I can't imagine that C being anything but a minor issue, if that. Calm down, breathe, and do well from now on. You'll be fine :D.

rafflecopter

MS-0
10+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
I had a 3.1 overall GPA for undergrad before starting post-bac work and my pre-med requirements. Ended up with a much higher overall GPA, 4.0 science GPA, and an acceptance to a US Med school. So no, you're not even close to doomed.

OP
Protagonistic

Protagonistic

Removed
Jun 21, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks, one more question, do med schools look down on transfer students?

Like lets say if I transfer from my current university to somewhere else, will that limit my med school choices?

Salient

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2008
Status
Medical Student
I had something like a 1.6 my first year in college including at least one D and two F's. You'll be fine, just don't bite off more than you can chew in the future, try to pick your profs more wisely, and study hard!

chman

5+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2009
Status
Pre-Psychology
Thanks, one more question, do med schools look down on transfer students?

Like lets say if I transfer from my current university to somewhere else, will that limit my med school choices?
No, it shouldn't matter.

OP
Protagonistic

Protagonistic

Removed
Jun 21, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
  • Too early to quit.
  • You can retake classes and improve you grades if you really want to.
  • Those grades are not terrible.
  • Relax and take a deep breath.
  • Trust in Ratemyprofessor.com. While some of the reviews are bs, probably the students fault for getting a bad grade, the majority of the reviews are pretty legit. My classes and grades definitely have improved significantly once I started picking my professors more wisely.
Had I taken that advice I would be sitting at a 3.6 to 3.8 GPA right now.

littlealex

little tiny alex
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I can never tell if these threads are serious. I mean do the math. If you got 3.0 your first semester and then gets 3.8 every semester after that, what'll be your approximate cGPA? About 3.6 at the end of your junior year. Now tell me, did you ruin your chance at med school?

You're just looking for people to reassure you and make you feel better about how you screwed up. Man up and stop asking about questions you already know the answers to.

2000 on SAT is about a what, 1300 back in the day? Fine, maybe you can't do math.

jvesco22

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2009
Status
What the **** is a "tier 4" school?
A school between tier 3 and tier 5 brah, duh.

But lettuce be reality. Someone saying a tier 4 school is along the same lines of someone saying "I go to a top 90 university" (lol, waiting for someone to say like 'I go to a top 120')

OP
Protagonistic

Protagonistic

Removed
Jun 21, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I can never tell if these threads are serious. I mean do the math. If you got 3.0 your first semester and then gets 3.8 every semester after that, what'll be your approximate cGPA? About 3.6 at the end of your junior year. Now tell me, did you ruin your chance at med school?

You're just looking for people to reassure you and make you feel better about how you screwed up. Man up and stop asking about questions you already know the answers to.

2000 on SAT is about a what, 1300 back in the day? Fine, maybe you can't do math.
Dude, if I got a 3.0 my first semester of college, I mean I know I did some things wrong but C in chem 1, then I just do not see how I can get a 3.8 the second semester, I can't, maybe a 3.75 since I will be taking 4 courses.

Eitherways point is I need a high GPA, if I want to transfer out and be independent or if I wanna go to med school.

Thanks for all support though.

OP
Protagonistic

Protagonistic

Removed
Jun 21, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
What the **** is a "tier 4" school?

School not even in the top 200 universities list, because Florida state is ranked 104 yet it is still "tier 1".

Tier 4 would be a school like lets say Georgia State university or University of South Florida

OP
Protagonistic

Protagonistic

Removed
Jun 21, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
nvm

I found out my grades today. I ended up getting a C in my chem class, A in my sociology class, a B in my other three classes and it gave me a 2.9 GPA since Chem was worth more credit hours......

OUCH!

luke587

5+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I dont know how you can get 3 B's, a A, and a C and be at a 2.9?

I dont man, my freshman year i got 2 B's, 2 A's, which most people would call bad on this board. Just work hard, youll be fine.

Arc10791

7+ Year Member
Oct 23, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Balloon: Your Dreams
Girl: You

But in all seriousness...
Turn around, read what you see, move on.

Arc

SFO-IST

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Balloon: Your Dreams
Girl: You

But in all seriousness...
Turn around, read what you see, move on.

Arc
HA HA HA you are my hero.

OP: Becoming a physician is a state of mind more than anything else. Think of yourself as a physician(-student) who is not yet matriculated in medical school. Join the premed club, start volunteering at hospitals, inquire with your professors about their research. read the health section of newspapers. You are competing with people who live, eat, and breathe medicine. Try it for a while and if you like it, great, you're in love. If you don't like it, I'd seriously consider another career. Oh, one last thing, you will NEVER be able to get high grades without passion for the subjects you're studying. Don't make the mistake of thinking that these classes are stepping stones to some future classes that will be fun. If you don't like the classes now, you won't like the more advanced version of these same classes.

Even if you're hoping to become a doctor, you're better off pursuing a non-science major that interests you and getting a solid GPA than pursuing a major you don't like. Ie, the 3.8 sociology major has a way better shot at an interview than the 3.1 biochem/engineering/etc. major.

OP
Protagonistic

Protagonistic

Removed
Jun 21, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
look, I would LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE to major in Lit, History or sociology but I have been cursed with a setback many are fortunate enough to not be cursed with

I have Indian parents and if you are familiar with them then you know how they function. My parents are the ones who told me to spend my first two years of college at home and then transfer somewhere else for my final two years. They won't even let me major in Biology, they keep whining and whining about the "economy" and keep saying that Biochemistry is the best major for me because it will help me do better on the MCAT. Can I rebel? Not really, because they suck so freaking much they sent me to their favorite high school (sciences high school which wasn't all that great academically, was very ghetto but just had the name attached to it, had no sports) and I ended up not doing well there so goodbye freedom.

I would love to pick my major but I don't have that freedom. You guys can say "DUUUUDDDDEEE UR LIEK 18 MAN BE A GROWN ADULT" but with Nazis as parents that is kind of hard to do. You think Asian parents are bad? Indian parents are worse.

Oh and here was their reply to my GPA, "well don't worry too much, next semester you are taking 4 classes, you will be better adjusted, and in life you will have to do things you don't like so MAKE yourself love chemistry, many people who don't like the subject make A's in it because they work hard, work hard and quit complaining".

I swear, these sub-egregious individuals who I have been cursed to be the son of have pushed me into a biochemistry major. I don't like the subject one bit really but they don't give a damn, to them as long as I fulfill THEIR dreams that is all that really matters. I can't really break out either since I don't have anywhere to stay, they won't allow me to get a job "jobs at an early age are for kids who have parents that don't care about them".

Daily they whine and whine and push medicine down my throat, they allow me little freedoms in the academic world. I have been forced into my major and have no guts to change it because if I do they will try their best to send me back to India. Daily they talk about how their family member made it to med school or how proud they are of one family member for doing this and that.

They have made my life a living hell, I do want to go to med school but not because THEY want to live their dreams through me. I wanted to play high school football but they just forced me into a high school that didn't have a football program.

They put food on the table for me, they supply me with money and pay for my college (of course they didn't let me apply for scholarships, they say scholarships are for Blacks and Latinos) and I can ADMIRE that they are not making me get an arranged marriage (they are okay with my Puerto Rican girlfriend) so they aren't that bad but as far as majors go, I REALLY don't have much freedom. =(

OP
Protagonistic

Protagonistic

Removed
Jun 21, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I dont know how you can get 3 B's, a A, and a C and be at a 2.9?

I dont man, my freshman year i got 2 B's, 2 A's, which most people would call bad on this board. Just work hard, youll be fine.
I got a C in chem 1 which was worth 4 credit hours, all other classes were worth 3 credit hours.

Jan 12, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
just realize what went wrong and fix it

May 12, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
short answer: NO.

although u really need to think about y u got the C in chem. Next semester, get that A in Chem 2.

OP
Protagonistic

Protagonistic

Removed
Jun 21, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
short answer: NO.

although u really need to think about y u got the C in chem. Next semester, get that A in Chem 2.
Honestly, I shot myself on the foot on the tests

I had an A average for lab and HW but on the tests, OUCH!

My last chance was with the final but the night before I had a precal exam and then I had the final, hour later I had the English exam.

djkoush

5+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Honestly, I shot myself on the foot on the tests

I had an A average for lab and HW but on the tests, OUCH!

My last chance was with the final but the night before I had a precal exam and then I had the final, hour later I had the English exam.
Study ahead?

iniquus

game recognize game and you lookin' unfamiliar
7+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2010
First of all I was too concerned about other irrelevant stuff like will girls like me because of my race/ethnicity (I am an Indian (India) guy) and I was worried about living independently and things.

I do want Med school to be an option for me but I really f*cked up my first semester. Did I just ruin my chance at med school?
You want to go to medical school, and this is on your list of concerns?

By the way, if your parents are controlling your major among other aspects of your application, ask yourself if medicine is really what you want to do? Or are your parents forcing you to become one, or have brainwashed you in wanting to become one? There are several threads here about the "negatives" of medicine, you really should be dedicated before you apply. You're still a first year though, so relax. There's time.

Shaptown

Bringer of Doom
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 28, 2008
Status
Medical Student

that was a totally inappropriate and unhelpful post and somewhat derogatory on top of it. instead of saying stuff like that, keep your trap shut :thumbdown:

OP
Protagonistic

Protagonistic

Removed
Jun 21, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
You want to go to medical school, and this is on your list of concerns?

By the way, if your parents are controlling your major among other aspects of your application, ask yourself if medicine is really what you want to do? Or are your parents forcing you to become one, or have brainwashed you in wanting to become one? There are several threads here about the "negatives" of medicine, you really should be dedicated before you apply. You're still a first year though, so relax. There's time.
I mean come on, you rarely see Indian guys with non-Indian girls and I just hate Indian girls (not hate hate them but just don't want to date or marry one).

rafflecopter

MS-0
10+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Does anyone else find it a tad ironic that the OPs name should be "Protagonistic" and in this thread he is face overwhelming opposition. Does that make us... antagonistic?

XeReX

Aspiring Surgeon
Jun 6, 2010
New Haven, CT
Status
Pre-Medical
I had something like a 1.6 my first year in college including at least one D and two F's. You'll be fine, just don't bite off more than you can chew in the future, try to pick your profs more wisely, and study hard!
Dude u had a 1.6 in first year:wow:? whats ur average now? no judging at all(i am in no position to judge anyone's academic competence rite now), so how did u improve and where u stand rite now?

iniquus

game recognize game and you lookin' unfamiliar
7+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2010
I mean come on, you rarely see Indian guys with non-Indian girls and I just hate Indian girls (not hate hate them but just don't want to date or marry one).
I'm not saying girls isn't something you shouldn't think about during college (the complete opposite). I'm saying you seem pretty naive if you're worrying if it's at all possible for girls to like an Indian guy.

I've got a couple interviews, nothing spectacular, and I have 4 C's in my pre-reqs (so you know my BPCM is not great). Motivate yourself so that this semester will be the exception on your transcript.

Salient

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Dude u had a 1.6 in first year:wow:? whats ur average now? no judging at all(i am in no position to judge anyone's academic competence rite now), so how did u improve and where u stand rite now?
My cumulative avg is 3.5, but with the exception of two A-s I've had a 4.0 since I came back to school in Fall 2008. The difference was really one of direction and motivation. Before, I didn't care about school and didn't think grades mattered. The Fs were literally because I didn't feel like going to class and figured I'd take them again later, but didn't bother to go drop them.

So now I do all the homework, go to all the lectures, figure out what's going to be on the exam, and then study until I know it. ezpz.

mdeast

7+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
First semester freshman year is usually one that can be easily overlooked by graduate school admissions committee. You'll be fine as long as your GPA continues to improve (which it most likely will).

That being said, medicine is not the only career. I think it's silly to come in as a freshman with the explicit intent of ONLY becoming a physician. Explore majors, other careers, find your passions. The person you are when you're 18 will be much different than the one you are when you graduate. So many factors will change in terms of your life goals, interests, etc. over the next 4 years. So keep an open mind to other things as well.

OP
Protagonistic

Protagonistic

Removed
Jun 21, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
How often to upward trends happen? Like I know posting about GPAs going up but is it possible for a student like me to make All A's next semester? I am going to try it regardless but I wonder if it has been done before.

chman

5+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2009
Status
Pre-Psychology
How often to upward trends happen? Like I know posting about GPAs going up but is it possible for a student like me to make All A's next semester? I am going to try it regardless but I wonder if it has been done before.
Lots of people do it.

torshi

Squirrel
5+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2010
I went to college at 16 and got a 4.0 my first year.

littlealex

little tiny alex
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]

Dbate

7+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
look, I would LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE to major in Lit, History or sociology but I have been cursed with a setback many are fortunate enough to not be cursed with

I have Indian parents and if you are familiar with them then you know how they function. My parents are the ones who told me to spend my first two years of college at home and then transfer somewhere else for my final two years. They won't even let me major in Biology, they keep whining and whining about the "economy" and keep saying that Biochemistry is the best major for me because it will help me do better on the MCAT. Can I rebel? Not really, because they suck so freaking much they sent me to their favorite high school (sciences high school which wasn't all that great academically, was very ghetto but just had the name attached to it, had no sports) and I ended up not doing well there so goodbye freedom.

I would love to pick my major but I don't have that freedom. You guys can say "DUUUUDDDDEEE UR LIEK 18 MAN BE A GROWN ADULT" but with Nazis as parents that is kind of hard to do. You think Asian parents are bad? Indian parents are worse.

Oh and here was their reply to my GPA, "well don't worry too much, next semester you are taking 4 classes, you will be better adjusted, and in life you will have to do things you don't like so MAKE yourself love chemistry, many people who don't like the subject make A's in it because they work hard, work hard and quit complaining".

I swear, these sub-egregious individuals who I have been cursed to be the son of have pushed me into a biochemistry major. I don't like the subject one bit really but they don't give a damn, to them as long as I fulfill THEIR dreams that is all that really matters. I can't really break out either since I don't have anywhere to stay, they won't allow me to get a job "jobs at an early age are for kids who have parents that don't care about them".

Daily they whine and whine and push medicine down my throat, they allow me little freedoms in the academic world. I have been forced into my major and have no guts to change it because if I do they will try their best to send me back to India. Daily they talk about how their family member made it to med school or how proud they are of one family member for doing this and that.

They have made my life a living hell, I do want to go to med school but not because THEY want to live their dreams through me. I wanted to play high school football but they just forced me into a high school that didn't have a football program.

They put food on the table for me, they supply me with money and pay for my college (of course they didn't let me apply for scholarships, they say scholarships are for Blacks and Latinos) and I can ADMIRE that they are not making me get an arranged marriage (they are okay with my Puerto Rican girlfriend) so they aren't that bad but as far as majors go, I REALLY don't have much freedom. =(
You seem like a whiner. Calm down. You messed up, now just work harder. Take less courses if it allows you to work better and maintain a higher GPA in the classes you do take. Also, try to explain to your parents that many non-science majors get accepted into medical school, perhaps you can even find a quote from a medical school admissions officer testifying to the fact. That should allay their fears.

Overall though, you should be grateful that your parents care enough about you to take an interest in what you are doing. There are tons of people who either don't have parents or whose parents care little about them. Your parents love you and that is why they want you to be successful.

Although I am not Indian (I'm black), I have several Asian friends and know how asian and Indian parents are. The reason they put pressure on you to succeed is because of all the hard work they had to do just to come here and give you the opportunity for a better life. Instead of being resentful, you should understand and appreciate how much your parents care about you.

OP
Protagonistic

Protagonistic

Removed
Jun 21, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Well, I got the warning label from the Honors program today, I need to pull my GPA up to a 3.3 in order for me to stay in.

I will need to basically get All A's next semester, boy the pressure is on.

Sep 10, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
You seem like a whiner. Calm down. You messed up, now just work harder. Take less courses if it allows you to work better and maintain a higher GPA in the classes you do take. Also, try to explain to your parents that many non-science majors get accepted into medical school, perhaps you can even find a quote from a medical school admissions officer testifying to the fact. That should allay their fears.

Overall though, you should be grateful that your parents care enough about you to take an interest in what you are doing. There are tons of people who either don't have parents or whose parents care little about them. Your parents love you and that is why they want you to be successful.

Although I am not Indian (I'm black), I have several Asian friends and know how asian and Indian parents are. The reason they put pressure on you to succeed is because of all the hard work they had to do just to come here and give you the opportunity for a better life. Instead of being resentful, you should understand and appreciate how much your parents care about you.
I'd like to second what Dbate has said, and I'm an Indian guy myself so I know what you're going through. Be a little bit more appreciative of what you DO have. Imagine going to school and coming out with > $100K loans that you now have to pay off monthly? You are quite lucky and fortunate (just like I have been) to have parents who have steered you into a proper direction and are willing to let you live off of them and pay for your education.

My parents are not as gung ho as yours are about medicine, and being a doctor, etc. But part of this is also because of me. Learn to stand up to your parents, like I did. My parents had looser restrictions, they wanted me to do something in a technical discipline (engineering, sciences, or whatever). I told them firmly that I'm going to do what I want to do, that's that. Your parents will support you regardless, since they care about you.

I'll tell you this: people always want to become rich and famous and extremely successful. You cannot at all do this if you are working towards something you don't enjoy. Medical school can be a great option for some if you are passionate and care about serving others, are genuinely interested in medicine/science, etc. But there are other options: starting a startup, working in the tech sector, working in any industry and going for an MBA, finance, or law. Currently, I'm an engineer, and working full time for the past couple years has allowed me to reflect a lot. Start reading all sorts of blogs to get inspiration and books: TechCrunch.com, AboveTheLaw.com, studentdoctor, etc. Go ahead and pick up the book Outliers by Malcom Gladwell while you are at it, I think it might actually do you some good and it's an excellent book about successful people and how they got there.

For the girl part: Dude I've come to realize that there are things in life you can change, and those you can't change. No point in being all worked up about how you're Indian..and I'm also a short guy which sucks, but whatever that's that no point in crying, move on. These are things that CANNOT be changed. Focus on what you CAN change..which is getting good grades, pursuing your hobbies and dreams and being a better person.

Sorry I'm rambling, but let me just sum up: stand up for yourself, and truly try and go for something you'll enjoy doing (as you'll probably end up more successful in life).

Good luck on next semester, and going back to your original question: a LOT of people **** up freshman yr..don't sweat it and work harder!