Quantcast

1st Year Clinical Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rsx989

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Do all medical schools give their first years clinical experience? I think not, as some schools use this a selling point on their websites.

drizzt3117

chick magnet
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Most schools have some sort of clinical class, that is of varying amounts of utility.

mvenus929

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think it's been less in the past, based on the complaints I've heard from past med students about being thrown into 3rd year rotations without really knowing what to do.

Of course, I'm willing to bet that all schools have some sort of 'physician' class, where you learn to do a good H&P, but usually that's done with standardized patients, rather than real ones. If you consider that 'clinical experience' then I guess all schools have it.

If, on the other hand, you mean the glorified shadowing (where you do the H&P in an actual clinical setting in your pre-clinical years), then I'm not sure if all schools have it or not. I think a lot of schools don't do that sort of thing until second year (when you've had enough of that 'physician' course to actually be useful).

rsx989

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, thanks. Yes, I was referring to interacting with real patients.