1st year mistakes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Do you have ragrets

• Yes

Votes: 21 58.3%
  • No, Not even a single letter

Votes: 15 41.7%

• Total voters

MerYangBey

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Place to share any ooops moments in med school. Anything you look back on and just wish you did differently...Whether it's related to studying, classmate drama/romance, embarrassing moments of any kind

Members don't see this ad.

Suggested adding acetaminophen for pain control in a patient with liver failure.

Everyone looked at me like the biggest idiot ever.

To be fair, you can use it in chronic liver failure but you have to dose it for them & consider the rest of their hepatically cleared meds.

Reactions: 4 users
Suggested adding acetaminophen for pain control in a patient with liver failure.

Everyone looked at me like the biggest idiot ever.

To be fair, you can use it in chronic liver failure but you have to dose it for them & consider the rest of their hepatically cleared meds.

"Guys their liver is already gone so the tylenol will work even better. It's not like you can make a failed liver fail more amirite"

Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
While my grades haven't suffered, I am addicted to looking at my phone during my 5-10 minute study breaks. I think I'd have a lot more free time in the day if I didn't do that so much....

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 5 users
1) Staying in medical school
2) Starting research
3) Not taking practice NMBE to see how they word questions
4) Not starting Uworld during M1
5) Only being attracted to 9+/10 who all turned out to be complete b-
6) Not going to church enough

Reactions: 3 users
I think I would have dovetailed First Aid with classes more during MS1. Should have been more involved with church as soon as I started school.

Reactions: 1 user
"Guys their liver is already gone so the tylenol will work even better. It's not like you can make a failed liver fail more amirite"
reece.JPG

Reactions: 8 users
1) Staying in medical school: You can always leave medical school, no one is forcing you.
2) Starting research: False
3) Not taking practice NMBE to see how they word questions: What about Uworld?
4) Not starting Uworld during M1: Worst piece of advice I've heard on this forum so far. Unless you are a systems based curriculum, don't even think about Uworld till 2nd year (most argue late 2nd year)

Reactions: 1 user
While my grades haven't suffered, I am addicted to looking at my phone during my 5-10 minute study breaks. I think I'd have a lot more free time in the day if I didn't do that so much....

I do that a lot too. Although the 5-10 minute breaks drag to 20 mins without me even realizing. I'm kinda getting sick of Facebook though . It's slightly depressing seeing all the fun things people are doing when you're studying... so I come here more often :corny:

Reactions: 2 users
I regret not pre-studying for med school.... I could have memorized all dat anatomy
IMG_3322.GIF
#saidNoOneEver

Reactions: 2 users
A very common mistake is for 1st year students to think that what worked in college will work in med school.

Place to share any ooops moments in med school. Anything you look back on and just wish you did differently...Whether it's related to studying, classmate drama/romance, embarrassing moments of any kind

Hooking up with and dating another smokin' hot med student during M1. She's now married to another classmate of mine. But I was firsssssstttt! ;) This was before tinder ughhhh :(

Putting off learning something until the day before your exam. If you do that, your practice ultrasound probe might break at the same time that mediavision randomly stops working, preventing you from completing both your ultrasound training and watching that lecture you missed. :mad: (Yes this is currently happening to me right at this very minute)

Reactions: 1 users
Five things to keep in mind:

1. Don't underestimate how much more you may need to study to do well compared to your undergrad experiences.

2. Don't wait too late to start preparing for Step 1.

3. Work on making your study habits as effective as possible. Minimize wasted time where you're "studying" but not really retaining anything.

4. Keep an open mind about your specialty choice.

5. If taking student loans, minimize the amount you borrow. You will thank yourself later!