1st year Over!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phdmed07

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just finished 1st year this morning!!!! Never been so happy. I have to say that M1 year was torture, the volume incredible. Thank god we have this summer off. Going to be a little wierd getting into the hang of not having to pick up a book. To all the entering M1s, do enjoy the summer bc 1st year is no JOKE. Anyway, getting ready to open up a nice cold one.

ECU Med 07

Members don't see this ad.

:D enjoy your summer

Second year's a lot more interesting

Shut up! I still have another wk left! +pissed+

Members don't see this ad :)
I just started my first year of medical school and I'm already looking forward to the 2nd year. Anatomy is draining me beyond words. I'm so tired that my bed calls me at 8pm when it's still light outside. Well only 4 more weeks of anatomy then perhaps the stressful part will be over.

Jasminegab said:
I just started my first year of medical school and I'm already looking forward to the 2nd year. Anatomy is draining me beyond words. I'm so tired that my bed calls me at 8pm when it's still light outside. Well only 4 more weeks of anatomy then perhaps the stressful part will be over.

Not to shovel more crap onto the pile, but if you think anatomy is draining, wait until you have neuroscience. the horror....

We also just finished our spring semester finals last week
on physiology, microbiology, neuroscience, physician & society (ethics),
and pas (doing H&Ps) ....the second years keep on telling us that 1st year spring semester was their hardest semester of the first two years, so hopefully it's all downhill from here in terms of the workload...

We have another 5-week summer session starting monday on
pathology, pharm, human behavior, and human sexuality, then we
finally have our well-deserved summer break...

Anyone else who also has required summer session?

ivyleague22ny said:

yeah...as DW said, we go till June 18th. :( oh well, at least I find this semester more interesting than picking apart dead bodies :)

We started the first week of August (orientation was late July) and we won't be done until June 30!!!!! :eek:

After my Physiology NBME tomorrow morning I'm done. Now should I study tonight or watch The Last Samurai?

2 more weeks here....ah can't wait til may 28

I'm sooo glad i never have to do this ever again.

those poor incoming MS1s. suckas!!! ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Ahhh, 2nd day as a M2, feels really good. So far I love being a M2!

ECU Med 07

If you think the volume during 1st year is a lot, wait until 2nd year. muwaahahhaha.

ivyleague22ny said:
We also just finished our spring semester finals last week
on physiology, microbiology, neuroscience, physician & society (ethics),
and pas (doing H&Ps) ....the second years keep on telling us that 1st year spring semester was their hardest semester of the first two years, so hopefully it's all downhill from here in terms of the workload...

We have another 5-week summer session starting monday on
pathology, pharm, human behavior, and human sexuality, then we
finally have our well-deserved summer break...

I know you guys start about a month after us, so you're really not going any longer, but sorry about having to be in class while the weather is nice.

I just finished this morning and now its time to start abusing my liver! :)

two more weeks to go. :(

great...I'm so burnt out right now, and I'm only taking biochem and working. I mean, the thought of trying to cram anything else into my brain makes me want to throw up. Of course I just took an exam, and I think I made a reasonably poor showing, so I'm not in the most optimistic mood.
I don't know how I'm going to handle MS1 at the rate I'm going. :(

i was wondering if transferring schools during undergrad affect ur application?
if lets say ur grades increase significantly after transfering, do the adcoms focus on that too much and then jump to the conclusion that it mustve been easier thats why? Im in the situation where i really want to transfer because of an aweful year, and the school i go to wont be easy - but i know ill put my all into it and do much better. So does it really matter? Please help - u guys r already there so im asking u and hope i can get some help. Thanks=

I have less than 3 weeks to go for this horrible M1 year to end. Can't friggin wait!

I've been done for more than a week. I'm still not used to not having to study every second of the day. But I'll get there :D

Ok! NOW I can say it...

MSII BABY!!! :clap: :clap: :hardy: :clap:

one-quarter MD!!!!

:clap:

i will finish anatomy on monday....
god how i wish it were tuesday already...
we have 4 more weeks after anatomy is over. :(

amena said:
i was wondering if transferring schools during undergrad affect ur application?
if lets say ur grades increase significantly after transfering, do the adcoms focus on that too much and then jump to the conclusion that it mustve been easier thats why? Im in the situation where i really want to transfer because of an aweful year, and the school i go to wont be easy - but i know ill put my all into it and do much better. So does it really matter? Please help - u guys r already there so im asking u and hope i can get some help. Thanks=

It wont really affect you much. If your grades are really good I dont think it would be much of an issue. The only annoying thing is that you have to go to each of the transcript offices to have them sent out when the time comes

Damn, sounds like it has been an interesting road for everyone here. I'm two months away from starting, and have been thinking about retrofitting the firehose hook ups to my brain in order to handle the high psi.

Congrats to all, and to those that aren't finished yet, the light is at the end of the tunnel (it could be heaven, or it could be a train). I'll leave it up to you. :D

Good luck,

KyGrlDr2B said:
If you think the volume during 1st year is a lot, wait until 2nd year. muwaahahhaha.

She is SERIOS.

Be sure to bring a jar of vaseline for 2nd yr. You's gnna get f*cked.

people wonder where the bitterness comes from. You will all find out soon enough. Enjoy this moment, its a slippery friggen slope with a cliff at the end a shallow pool full of SHARKS WITH LASERS waiting for you at the bottom next yr.

2nd year might be bad, but FIRST YEAR IS OVER!!!! CONGRATS TO ALL THE NEW M2s. I do feel badly for the incoming first years....

ECU Med 07

phdmed07 said:
2nd year might be bad, but FIRST YEAR IS OVER!!!! CONGRATS TO ALL THE NEW M2s. I do feel badly for the incoming first years....

ECU Med 07

Out of curiosity, are the PhD years at ECU funded?

Jasminegab said:
Anatomy is draining me beyond words. QUOTE]

I feel your pain ... dead people suck the life out of you! What really is ironic though is that I have landed a job as an autopsy assistant for the summer so I have no choice but to make sure the anatomy is well and truly learnt. Damn.

Three weeks of neuroscience left...but as far as I'm concerned, it's all fluff from here on out...the eye, the ear and psychiatric disorders.

Does anyone else have to take comprehensive end of the year exams? Or are we only privy to such torture? I understand that our new curriculum needs to be gauged in some way, but for the love of God, thanks for dragging out our first year with this craptacular exams.

Oh well, it'll be over soon...then it'll be time to start freaking out about the boards.....we take ours in jan/feb! AHHHH!

We had to take the Neuro shelf on the same day we had our last neuro exam. The shelf is quite difficult, it had alot of phys and micro on it. Sometimes I didnt know which shelf I was taking.

ECU Med 07

And I worked on my Phd before med school so I dont know anything about the program at ECU.

I'm scared :( Hold me?

(entering MS1)

Chemguync said:
I'm scared :( Hold me?

(entering MS1)

Don't worry, sheer excitement at being a med student will get you through the first half of the year easy, then you get Xmas break, so you're good to go until about February, then the fatigue hits, spring break does little to revitalize you, but you only have 6-8 weeks to bring it home...it's a tough year, especially if you're hard core and study enough to be in the top 10-15% of your class, but just ride the adrenaline for now.

Good Luck, and remember that the alternative is NOT being in med school ;)

I am now a second year. Looking back, I don't know how I got through anatomy, biochem, phys, neuro....but I did it and I would never do it again. AHHHHHHHHHHHH. I am happy.

Congrats Chazie!!!!! Into my 2nd week as a M2. I feel exactly like you. Couldnt imagine having to go through 1st yr again. Enjoy the summer!

ECU Med 07

Just had my last class today and now I have one and a half days left to study for my last exam of the year! If only UM didn't screw us with a week of competency and physical exams next week my life would be so much simpler. Anyone know how to take a history and physical? jk, kinda...

-MS1, UMiami Class of 2007

Now I can finally say that my first year is over too!! YAY!! :D Just going thru my mountains of notes I've collected this semester. For some reason I just can't bring myself to throw them out, so they go under my bed with all the other non-useful things. I think that I have come to the conclusion that I, personally, have wiped out an entire forest since january...

We took our last final on May 28th and boy did that feel GOOOOOOD! :) I can't believe that I don't have to study for alomost 3 whole months!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!! :D :D

Congrats guys!!! Have a restful summer and get ready for the hell of second year to come. ;) Well, at least the material is more interesting. :rolleyes: Studying for the boards is what sucks in second year. I'm in that hell right now! Can't wait for 5:00 pm on Saturday when I can finally slam the door shut on USMLE Step 1 and second year. :D

randomlogik said:
Now I can finally say that my first year is over too!! YAY!! :D Just going thru my mountains of notes I've collected this semester. For some reason I just can't bring myself to throw them out, so they go under my bed with all the other non-useful things. I think that I have come to the conclusion that I, personally, have wiped out an entire forest since january...

Hmm, I don't seem to be having this particular problem. All my notes have been sitting in a stack on my desk, just WAITING to be thrown out. I might keep a few lectures from neuroscience, but that's it.

It does feel so nice to be done with our first year, although it hasn't really sunk in yet. I knew coming in that this would be the most difficult year of med school for me. The basic sciences are so difficult for me, but the clinical stuff is just playtime. Not that it's easy or that I'm brilliant at it. It's just that it's fun and doesn't really feel like work most of the time.

But I think the priority right now is to clean my house. :scared:

ive hd at least two mos of vacation & classes r about to strt in a week!..wuow! i dnt know what to expect now that im in my second yr..thou i think its gona b much tougher & d sched is goin to b much tighter..any junior interns there want to share their experiences last yr? it'll be of great help..thanks..

heh, so okay most people finished 6 weeks or so ago but we're finally done today - FINALLY! :clap:

tBw said:
heh, so okay most people finished 6 weeks or so ago but we're finally done today - FINALLY! :clap:

Yeah, we just finished on Wednesday. Enjoy and congrats!! :thumbup:

phdmed07 said:
Just finished 1st year this morning!!!! Never been so happy. I have to say that M1 year was torture, the volume incredible. Thank god we have this summer off. Going to be a little wierd getting into the hang of not having to pick up a book. To all the entering M1s, do enjoy the summer bc 1st year is no JOKE. Anyway, getting ready to open up a nice cold one.

ECU Med 07

To hell with that, third year is over!

(But congratulations on finishing first year. It only gets better.)

I'll be done on Monday once I finish my microbio/immuno final. Yay!!

you guys are just getting done today? when do you guys start your second year? enjoy your break. second year is tough, but if you made it through 1st yr, you can make it through anything :)

tBw said:

we finished 2 days ago!! it feels sooooo good :)