2,3 Biphosphoglycerate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ace_inhibitor111

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I just wanted to clarify: I know 2,3 BPG reduces oxygen affinity in hemoglobin causing it to release oxygen in active tissues. However, I read online that while 2,3 BPG increases with decreasing pH, 2,3 BPG mutase, which creates 2,3 BPG, is inactivated at low pH's. How is this possible? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1220500/pdf/10477270.pdf

An initial response to acute hypoxia is hyperventilation, which causes respiratory alkalosis. If this alkalosis is prevented, the usual accumulation of 2,3-BPG is prevented. This result implicates blood pH in the control of 2,3-BPG concentration. The importance of blood pH in controlling 2,3-BPG concentration is also supported by a number of studies. Increases in pH above the usual physiological value result in 2,3-BPG accumulation, while decreases result in depletion. This pH-dependence is dramatic; the steady-state concentration of 2,3-BPG in glycolysing erythrocytes decreases from its usual steady-state value of E7 mM to zero with a decrease of only 0.4 pH unit.

Deoxygenation of erythrocytes leads to an increase in intracellular pH of 0.07±0.14 pH unit due to deoxygenated Hb (deoxy-Hb) having a higher affinity for protons (acting as a base) than oxygenated Hb (oxy-Hb).

Hypoxia -> Hyperventilation -> decreased PCO2 -> Respiratory alkalosis -> lowered [H+] -> stimulation of 2,3-BPG Mutase -> increase in 2,3-BPG -> O2 dissociation from Hb
Hypoxia -> Increased deoxy-Hb -> lowered [H+] ... etc

Rest assured that if an MCAT question EVER talks about 2,3-BPG Mutase, they will provide all the information you would need.