1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

2.3 GPA and a boring story to boot :)

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by T-Rex, Nov 26, 2002.

1. T-Rex

T-Rex Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi All!!

I'm 27. I have a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering from Univ. Texas - Austin (96) and worked for five years in the oil/gas business ...BooOOOOooring !!
    So - i did Master's coursework in computer science.....more BooOOOooring...........quit my $55K/yr job and enrolled as an intern at Boston Scientific making $15/hr and did Bio/Chem/Organic Chem over the year and am now enrolled in a Master's program in Biochemistry. I'm seeking admission for the Fall '04 class and would love to share/give advice/hints to others on this board.

I had a 2.3 GPA for undergrad (being in a rock band somehow seemed more important than fluid dynamics...)- and got a 4.0 in all the bio/chem/orgo courses i took this past year at Northeastern Univ (Baahston)......who knows if I'll get into med school - but hey, at least you can say you tried
    Takin the MCAT in April.....

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. awww u are so cute! ;) really i think u will do fine, it might be hard explaining ur 2.3 but hey us engineers never have it easy. ur story shows dedication and inspiration :) do great ur masters and ur mcats, and have good EC's, good luck!

4. DoubleDoctor

DoubleDoctor Ceder Dog's Daddy
    7+ Year Member

The main thing that I would be worried about isn't the GPA but that fact that you keep switching careers. This won't look good to the adcom because it looks like you don't really know what you want to do so you try something and then when it doesn't live up to your expectations then you move on. A good portion of medicine is tedious, repetitive work so it's not as exciting as some people think. Doctors have told me that you have to deal with a lot of boring ho hum cases until you occasionally get that one super interesting case. I'm not trying to rain on your parade but it's something to think about. You will need to come up with some good answers as to why you keep switching career not just that you found them boring. My Mom actually has a friend that is pretty much a professional student. He is up to about 6 career changes and they are always going to be great until he gets done with the classes and has to go to work, then he finds something intolerable about them so he goes back to school and pursues something else. I think you can do it if you really want it but please really give it some thought because it would be such a waste to go through med school and then find out that you really don't like it either. We need more doctors and we are already losing some who just don't want to put up with the HMO crap and stuff. It would be a tragedy if you take up a spot and then later find that medicine isn't for you. Good luck getting in if that's what you decide to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. T-Rex

T-Rex Member
    7+ Year Member

Good point - what could be construed as "life experiences" could also be taken as "indecisive". But, how does one know they are truly happy doing something without trying it? :confused:

6. 14457

14457 Guest

Pre-Medical
    Try voluntering, maybe for the red cross or doing something that gives you an idea what medicine will be like.

7. Tabstar

Tabstar Member
    10+ Year Member

I wanted to know if you still check your pm's.
    There are a few questions I Wanted to ask you after reading your posts in studentdoctor. net.

Let me know if you are available?

:luck: Tabstar