MD & DO 2.3 uGPA, now have a job in IT but i would like to try again for medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NJ98

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Hey everyone, ill give a quick background update. I was initially premed in undergrad, due to mental health struggles I got C's in almost all my science classes and will graduate this Dec with a 2.3-2.4 gpa. I have overcome my mental health struggles and am doing much better now. I got a job in IT so i could work and earn money since getting into med school was not an option with my grades at the moment.

Medicine is my passion and I have not let go of that dream. One day, I would like to start a post-bacc and get my grades up so i can hopefully apply to medical school (either MD or DO). I'm not sure how to go about this since I will technically be coming from a different career field, but have already taken 3/4 if not slightly more of my pre-med prerequisites in undergrad.

I very well understand we deserve the grades we get, and someone who has made C's in almost all their science courses should not be a doctor. However, i have full confidence that I am not an idiot, and that I have the ability to work hard. Past trauma has played a huge role on my mental health and obviously how i performed in undergrad, but I am a much more hard-working and different person now. I understand my situation, and Im very confused and overwhelmed, and just looking for some advice or guidance. Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Do a diy post-bac at a four year college. Retake the pre- requisites you did poorly (below a C) and take some upper-level biology courses to boost your GPAs above a 3.0. After completing your post-bac, study and take the MCAT when you're fully ready.