2.4 gpa 4 semesters remaining

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefulgirl19

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

SO heres the situation, I have 4 semesters remaining with undergrad and right now have a gpa of 2.4. I know I can do better and work harder and I'm determined to bring this up in the next two years. My gpa has an upward trend, I am an URM, female, and go to UConn. My question is what should I start doing to make my application stand out in two years because my gpa won't be strong enough (3.5+). Also, when should I start studying for the MCAT? Pretty much any advice would be helpful for how I can get the most out of these next two years. Also if anyone has been in this position and rose above to gain acceptances at MD or DO.

Members don't see this ad.

I think GPA repair should be your priority right now. Focus on getting "A's" for now and when you learn how to be an "A" student I would begin adding ec's, research, MCAT studying, and shadowing. Many people of all races have been in your position and successfully turned it around to get into MD and DO schools. If you want it bad enough make it happen. For now, take this time to work on building "A+" study habits because you really cannot afford anymore damage to your GPA.

Reactions: 3 users
What ECs are you currently involved in? Leadership, teaching, volunteering, research, shadowing, sports, music, etc?

What do you mean by upward trend?(ie have you managed to have any semesters that are good enough for MD/DO schools?)
Have you worked out the problems you had in the past with your academics?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys,

SO heres the situation, I have 4 semesters remaining with undergrad and right now have a gpa of 2.4. I know I can do better and work harder and I'm determined to bring this up in the next two years. My gpa has an upward trend, I am an URM, female, and go to UConn. My question is what should I start doing to make my application stand out in two years because my gpa won't be strong enough (3.5+). Also, when should I start studying for the MCAT? Pretty much any advice would be helpful for how I can get the most out of these next two years. Also if anyone has been in this position and rose above to gain acceptances at MD or DO.

While I haven't been accepted yet ( just applying this cycle) I had a serious upward trend. I just made a thread if you want to take a look. This upward trend was the result of tons of hard work and completely changing the way I lived my life. To make your application stand out, get straight A's from here out. Do a year post-bacc, also get straight A's. Fill in EC's with non-cookie cutter stuff, and considering your URM status, you should get in....provided you don't bomb the mcat.

You can really do anything you want to, that's the key. I had a 2.8GPA entering Spring 2012 and now have a GPA of a 3.6 after this past semester. Luckily I didn't take any science courses during my bad period, but I believe you can raise it to about a 3.2-3.3 range which should be fine for DO. Good Luck, but the result of being able to accomplish what you strive for is amazing.

Hi guys,

Correct me if I read this wrong... You have a 2.4 and you believe you will end up with a 3.5? Even with a 4.0 for the next semesters, you would only get a 3.2 average.

I suggest you retake the science courses and apply to stzzzszhslow MD and DO. This assumes you get a 4.0 from now on. Do you have a plan for this? And make sure you do well on the MCAT

Edit - I think I posted before I was done and am pretty sure my thumb had a seizure...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Do your best to repair your GPA. Apply broadly to low tier MD if you hit a 3.2, and apply broadly to DO no matter what your GPA ends up being.

Reactions: 2 users
Correct me if I read this wrong... You have a 2.4 and you believe you will end up with a 3.5? Even with a 4.0 for the next semesters, you would only get a 3.2 average.

I suggest you retake the science courses and apply to stzzzszhslow MD and DO. This assumes you get a 4.0 from now on. Do you have a plan for this? And make sure you do well on the MCAT

No. I know I won't get a 3.5. I'm saying my gpa WONT be strong meaning it won't be a 3.5 or higher. My plan is to do really well on the mcat and get my gpa up to as much as possible. I'm shooting for 4.0 and I know I can do it so thats the plan for now? Thank you for your advice :)

What ECs are you currently involved in? Leadership, teaching, volunteering, research, shadowing, sports, music, etc?

What do you mean by upward trend?(ie have you managed to have any semesters that are good enough for MD/DO schools?)
Have you worked out the problems you had in the past with your academics?

No but my gpa started from a 1.9 and has only gone up since then. And it will continue too, the next semesters I plan to get gpas that would be good enough for at least DO schools. But I will still try at some MD. EC wise Im starting to work on that this summer, going to do as much shadowing as possible, and volunteering at a hospital.

Are you able to retake anything that was a D and below? It is amazing how much that can raise your GPA by replacing a few D's with A's.

Are you able to retake anything that was a D and below? It is amazing how much that can raise your GPA by replacing a few D's with A's.
The only two Ds I have are in calc. Which isn't even a pre-req so do you think its worth it to retake? I plan to retake my Cs in science courses for DO grade replacement.

The only two Ds I have are in calc. Which isn't even a pre-req so do you think its worth it to retake? I plan to retake my Cs in science courses for DO grade replacement.
Math courses are included in your science GPA so if you feel you can do better it may be worth the retake. If math is not your strong point then perhaps it's best to move on. Retake any bad grades and take some upper division bio courses when you are confident that you can ace them.

Reactions: 1 user