moe619

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
I have attempted 250 units (Philo major, working on a second major in Biology).

Currently, my sGPA is 2.46 and cGPA is 2.92

I plan on taking one more semester, possibly 2, for a total of about 20 units of science classes.

If I hypothetically get all As for these next ~20 or so units, I can get my cGPA to a 3.0. My sGPA will still be under 2.7 though.

What would my next steps be? Would a SMP accept me witha sGPA of less than 3.0?

Would I have any chance of newer DO schools?

AnatomyGrey12

2+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2015
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
Your possibilities have been used up I'm afraid. Medical school is no longer on the table with your academic history. The only option available to you is to move to Texas and take advantage of that program they have where if you are 10 years out from school your grades get erased, and then start all over from square one.

Nov 5, 2018
Status
Medical Student

I plan on taking one more semester, possibly 2, for a total of about 20 units of science classes.

If I hypothetically get all As for these next ~20 or so units, I can get my cGPA to a 3.0. My sGPA will still be under 2.7 though.

That sGPA is pretty brutal and is not indicative of an ability to succeed in med school. Do you have an upward trend in your grades, a bad year due to personal issues or anything? This will need to be explained with good reason for you to have a chance.

Oct 19, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical

250 units? As in 250 credits (i.e., 120 = bachelors degree at most schools)?

If so, at what point did you decide you wanted to go to medical school? How were you in school for so long without graduating?

There’s a lot to your story that isn’t spelled out in your post. I would guess that there’s a lot in your life going on behind the scenes, or a lack of motivation, causing you to perform poorly. In either case, going forward with an SMP will most likely result in failure.

Have you thought about taking some time off from higher education?

Last edited:

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student

Read this:

I'm not a fan of magic thinking. Why do you think that you can suddenly now get 20 credits worth of As?

Oct 19, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
@moe619

I checked your post history to see your story. I noticed that 5 years ago, you were talking about a “hypothetical 3 years of straight A’s.”

I know you’re not feeling so hot right now, but I really think some time off from school and medicine could be helpful to you. There are many other areas in the world, and in your own life, that are worth exploring. You seriously shouldn’t keep trying to bulldoze this process with a system that’s not working.

OP
M

moe619

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
250 units? As in 250 credits (i.e., 120 = bachelors degree at most schools)?

If so, at what point did you decide you wanted to go to medical school? How were you in school for so long without graduating?

There’s a lot to your story that isn’t spelled out in your post. I would guess that there’s a lot in your life going on behind the scenes, or a lack of motivation, causing you to perform poorly. In either case, going forward with an SMP will most likely result in failure.

Have you thought about taking some time off from higher education?
I will be graduating with a bachelors in Philosophy and a B.S in Biology. First in the family college student. Did not think about college till well into the first semester of community college. Had no idea what I was doing or what I wanted to do. Received 2-3 F by not dropping classes appropriately or just not attending classes due to depression.

I was doing well on my Philosophy degree with a GPA of over 3.3 but going into the sciences destroyed me at first. Had to start at pre-algebra and level 100 bio and chem and worked my way up to Calculus and level 500 bio classes. Stumbled the entire way.

Oct 19, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
I will be graduating with a bachelors in Philosophy and a B.S in Biology. First in the family college student. Did not think about college till well into the first semester of community college. Had no idea what I was doing or what I wanted to do. Received 2-3 F by not dropping classes appropriately or just not attending classes due to depression.

I was doing well on my Philosophy degree with a GPA of over 3.3 but going into the sciences destroyed me at first. Had to start at pre-algebra and level 100 bio and chem and worked my way up to Calculus and level 500 bio classes. Stumbled the entire way.
Mental health comes before medical school. It’s not optional, it’s a requirement.

I’m not saying that you’re not going to be a doctor. In my opinion, you should take a few steps back, truly sort yourself out and reassess in the future.

Good luck.

OP
M

moe619

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Mental health comes before medical school. It’s not optional, it’s a requirement.

I’m not saying that you’re not going to be a doctor. In my opinion, you should take a few steps back, truly sort yourself out and reassess in the future.

Good luck.
Thanks. I will spend this summer figuring out what other medical careers are more realistic for me.

Reactions: Goro and Kardio

chemdoctor

2+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
I think it’s POSSIBLE but you’ve got a long way to go. Try to get your cGPA to a 3.0

Calculate how many you’ll need for both to be at a 3.0

You’ll definitely need an SMP or a post bacc dude.

MemeLord

Spunky, Master of Sleeps
Feb 21, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
I think it’s POSSIBLE but you’ve got a long way to go. Try to get your cGPA to a 3.0

Calculate how many you’ll need for both to be at a 3.0

You’ll definitely need an SMP or a post bacc dude.
No. Just...no.

Did the math. OP needs 135 more credits of ALL 4.0 to get a 3.0. It is just simply not possible given OPs track record.

OP, gonna give it to you straight - health care at the bachelors degree level will not be a place you will find a job.

Look elsewhere. I can try to sympathize, but it is not genuine sympathy. Based on your academics alone, no amount of passion will move you any further on this path.

chemdoctor

2+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
@MemeLors

There are people on this forum that have been in OP’s situation and have made it to DO schools.

Yeah it’s a long path but I think if OP pursued two years of upper divisions and got a 4.0 or even a 3.9 and then pursued an SMP, and DID WELL, OP should have a few DO options...

Obviously it’s a difficult and long path. OP has dug himself a large academic hole and needs to get out of it. It’s up to you OP but if you want it then you could do it. It’s a long path tho OP.

It is advisable to keep other career choices in mind. @Goro

MemeLord

Spunky, Master of Sleeps
Feb 21, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
@MemeLors

There are people on this forum that have been in OP’s situation and have made it to DO schools.

Yeah it’s a long path but I think if OP pursued two years of upper divisions and got a 4.0 or even a 3.9 and then pursued an SMP, and DID WELL, OP should have a few DO options...

Obviously it’s a difficult and long path. OP has dug himself a large academic hole and needs to get out of it. It’s up to you OP but if you want it then you could do it. It’s a long path tho OP.

It is advisable to keep other career choices in mind. @Goro
It is hypothetically possible, but if OP posted 5 years ago about the same thing then their personal history indicates that this is merely a thought experiment. OP should steer in a different direction.

Keeping ones hopes up against all odds is a uniquely American phenomenon that has led to the destruction of many an individual.

Dec 7, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
I agree with what everyone is saying for the most part. I myself will be ending my bachelors with around 170 credit hours due to retaking some classes. I will still be under a 3.0 sGPA and cGPA. BUT I have a significant upward trend and have had to work 40+ hours a week to support my mom and siblings. Goro says with a good MCAT I am ready to go. Do you have an upward trend? Have you read Goro's thread on reinvention? I remember being where you are now when I decided I really needed to get my crap together and speaking on hypothetical terms does not really mean a whole lot. It is easy to say you will get all A's, doing it is a whole different ball game ESPECIALLY upper level sciences. I feel that you should take a step away from posting on these forums until you have a decent amount of upper level science courses aced. I would definitely suggest reading the above thread that @Goro linked you and ask yourself if this is something that you honestly believe you can handle. Good luck OP.

Dec 7, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
It is hypothetically possible, but if OP posted 5 years ago about the same thing then their personal history indicates that this is merely a thought experiment. OP should steer in a different direction.

Keeping ones hopes up against all odds is a uniquely American phenomenon that has led to the destruction of many an individual.
THIS!

Dec 20, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
I did not have quite the same number of credits as you have when I started, but my numbers looked very similar.

2-3 years ago I posted on a SDN thread with essentially the same message that you have posted here. I had a 2.4 cumulative uGPA (only 1 BS, not 2). I am a first-generation college student, as well, and had no idea that I wanted to become a physician until after I had graduated from undergrad. People on SDN ridiculed, doubted, and laughed at me just like they're doing to you right now. I read Goro's advice and its tone just aggravated me. To be fair, the thread is very accurate and I suggest you follow it, as well as, any other advice that you might see from Goro. I spent a lot of time working my butt off over the last couple of years just to get into a SMP. I didn't have a 3.0 and applied to several SMPs and only got accepted to 1 SMP. I only needed 1, so that's fine. I just finished the program with a 3.9 and will hopefully be matriculating in the Fall, given I'm pulled from the waitlist once the adcom gets back from vacation to evaluate the MS students. Even if I don't get in this year, that's fine. I know that I have a very good chance at matriculating the following year somewhere else. Like Goro says, "Medical school isn't going anywhere."

To address the 5 year post prior to this one, I don't know your story and I'm not going to demand that you to tell me anything about yourself that you aren't comfortable presenting in an open forum. BUT you better have a significant upward trend whenever you decide/if you decide to apply to SMPs. You also better have a lot of clinical volunteering. For you to get into an SMP without a 3.0, the majority of everything needs to be right with the exception of your grades (to a certain point obviously). That's what the SMP is for--academic redemption.

If this is what you want to do without a doubt, and you're willing to make sacrifices, then I believe you can do it. If you have any doubt in yourself, or you don't enjoy working yourself to death, then don't do it. Don't waste the time and money. Next steps? I say you might as well finish out that second BS, but you sure as heck better kill those classes. If you have an upward trend, I feel like you should definitely be able to get into a SMP somewhere as long as your GRE/MCAT (or whatever entrance exam the programs you apply to require) are in check. When you get to your SMP, though, it has to be game time. There's only 2 options at that point: kill it or go home. After you kill the SMP (assuming you've also performed well on the MCAT), you might be able to pull it off and get accepted to a DO school. There's no guarantees here though and you have to accept that. You just have to roll with the punches, take what you've got, and do great things with what you have. Feel free to message me.

Also, Goro is still the MVP. No hard feelings haha. The tone needed to be rough in that post, and I greatly appreciate you for all that you do for us pre-med SDNers.

chemdoctor

2+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical

Not really. There’re practicing physicians right now that were in OP’s position in undergrad. They worked hard and got into med school. They may not be surgeons at Harvard but they’re physicians treating patients well.

It’s possible. That’s why @Goro ‘s guide EXISTS. It’s a long and difficult road. But it can happen. It’s up to OP if he wants to commit and work hard

Dec 7, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Not really. There’re practicing physicians right now that were in OP’s position in undergrad. They worked hard and got into med school. They may not be surgeons at Harvard but they’re physicians treating patients well.

It’s possible. That’s why @Goro ‘s guide EXISTS. It’s a long and difficult road. But it can happen. It’s up to OP if he wants to commit and work hard
I believe what @MemeLord is getting at is that yes it is possible. BUT, the fact that OP posted 5 years ago asking about the same thing and didn't get it together then is worrisome. Its never to late to get it together but I believe he is meaning it is hypothetically possible for this particular individual. Talk is cheap is basically what they are implying.

AnatomyGrey12

2+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2015
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
Honestly to all the people encouraging OP look I get it, you want to be encouraging, but it's horrendous advice. At this point there is literally a less than 1% chance, in fact it's a decimal much closer to 0 than it is to 1. At its core medicine is purely a job. There is simply no benefit in encouraging someone who is looking at easily 5+ MORE years of pre-med academics, with zero evidence it can be done to the level required to make a medical school application possible I might add, and in the process wasting literally thousands upon thousands of dollars. This advice is dangerous. That kind of debt can quite possibly ruin someone's life.

People who had 250+ credits with a GPA sub 2.5 that got into a US medical school? I mean you are literally citing the outliers of all outliers to prove your point. And sure Vince Papale walked onto the Eagles so I guess there is a chance I could play for the Eagles too. There is no "upward trend" there. There is only repeatedly getting bad grades.

Dec 7, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
I am curious though. How did OP perform in prerequisites? Did OP take orgo 1&2, genetics, cell bio, immunology? (I know the later are just recommended but curiosity.)

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Status
Non-Student
Honestly to all the people encouraging OP look I get it, you want to be encouraging, but it's horrendous advice. At this point there is literally a less than 1% chance, in fact it's a decimal much closer to 0 than it is to 1. At its core medicine is purely a job. There is simply no benefit in encouraging someone who is looking at easily 5+ MORE years of pre-med academics, with zero evidence it can be done to the level required to make a medical school application possible I might add, and in the process wasting literally thousands upon thousands of dollars. This advice is dangerous. That kind of debt can quite possibly ruin someone's life.

People who had 250+ credits with a GPA sub 2.5 that got into a US medical school? I mean you are literally citing the outliers of all outliers to prove your point. And sure Vince Papale walked onto the Eagles so I guess there is a chance I could play for the Eagles too. There is no "upward trend" there. There is only repeatedly getting bad grades.
I agree 1000%. There are times where one has to be realistic and look to Plan B

chemdoctor

2+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
As I've said before, OP this is your choice. It is a long road and you've got quite a hole to dig yourself out of. The main thing you need to figure out is WHY you're doing so poorly. You posted a similar thread five years ago, and you're still struggling? What's going on?

Then you need to really think to yourself and determine if you want to pursue this path or not. It's up to you.

It's very difficult though. BUT, there ARE people in your position that have succeeded.

Step 1) Identify WHY you're doing so poorly
Step 2) Take at least a year or two of upper divisions and get a 4.0 (3.9 should be OK)
Step 3) Maybe try an app cycle as long as you get a decent MCAT score to DO schools
Step 4) SMP and then DO schools

It's possible but a long road

MemeLord

Spunky, Master of Sleeps
Feb 21, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
It's up to you.
Don’t give them the option, then they will take the option. You are trying to be encouraging, but it is just instilling what is likely false hope or, more likely, reinforcing an idea OP has ingrained in their head.
BUT, there ARE people in your position that have succeeded.
I sincerely do not believe there are people. MAYBE some who have taken the 10 year Texas route. MAYBE some down-the-road career changers. But 250 credits of 2.4 GPA? That is 2 full bachelors degrees with of C+. That is not gonna fly and I don’t think it ever has or ever will.
Step 2) Take at least a year or two of upper divisions and get a 4.0 (3.9 should be OK)
This is the part that I do not believe will happen. OP does not have a history of showing 4.0/3.9 or even 3.7 or even 3.0. You can’t just say “welp, you just gotta get 2 years of A’s.” Someone who gets more Cs than As is likely not going to get a string of As.

I know you are just trying to encourage OP, but it is not beneficial thinking and will likely only hurt OPs esteem and OPs wallet.

AnatomyGrey12

2+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2015
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
It's very difficult though. BUT, there ARE people in your position that have succeeded.
You keep saying this yet I've yet to see you actually cite an example. I'd love to know who has done what OP is attempting to do.

chemdoctor

2+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
You keep saying this yet I've yet to see you actually cite an example. I'd love to know who has done what OP is attempting to do.
Go to med school with a GPA within the 2.0s? It’s happened. Ask @Goro

Yeah 240 credits is rough for sure. But if OP can really get his **** together then...

Reactions: olabrador23

AnatomyGrey12

2+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2015
Midwest
Status
Medical Student

Yeah 240 credits is rough for sure. But if OP can really get his **** together then...
So the answer is no, no you've never actually heard of anyone that has gone to medical school after 250 credits worth of 2.4 spanning years and years.

MemeLord

Spunky, Master of Sleeps
Feb 21, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical

You are putting too much faith in OP. When you have a track record of half a decade of needing to get your **** together and never following through, it is extraordinarily unlikely that anything will snap some sense into them.

chemdoctor

2+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
So the answer is no, no you've never actually heard of anyone that has gone to medical school after 250 credits worth of 2.4 spanning years and years.
I look at it through GPA. GPAs within the 2.0s sucks but people have gone to DO sxhools with it

Reactions: premedbrah

AnatomyGrey12

2+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2015
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
I look at it through GPA. GPAs within the 2.0s sucks but people have gone to DO sxhools with it
Very very few.... and there are always mitigating factors. None of those factors are present in this case.

May 2, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Agreed with the overwhelming sentiment that it's going to be almost impossible to achieve his goal.

The only way reason I could see OP doing this if he's not paying for it himself/taking out debt.

OP, a career in healthcare does not mean you have to be a physician. There are other options include medical/pharma/device sales, research, nursing, business, etc.

You do not need to confine yourself in a box.

MemeLord

Spunky, Master of Sleeps
Feb 21, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
OP’s got a long and difficult road if he wants this. But yes, he has shown NOTHING to prove that he can handle this.
There is no road ahead. Don’t encourage OP. You say “there is a long road ahead” while also saying “there is nothing showing...”

You saying “you can do it if you work hard enough” flies right in the face of the 6-8 other people telling them that they cannot do it. OP will latch on to the one voice of positivity despite the overwhelming advice to find a new path.

chemdoctor

2+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
There is no road ahead. Don’t encourage OP. You say “there is a long road ahead” while also saying “there is nothing showing...”

You saying “you can do it if you work hard enough” flies right in the face of the 6-8 other people telling them that they cannot do it. OP will latch on to the one voice of positivity despite the overwhelming advice to find a new path.
You’re just so focused on telling OP to quit. It’s not your decision... let him continue if he wants.

MemeLord

Spunky, Master of Sleeps
Feb 21, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
You’re just so focused on telling OP to quit. It’s not your decision... let him continue if he wants.
It’s not about telling OP what not to do. It is about telling others to stop giving OP bad advice and false encouragement.

What OP does in the end is their own business. And if they are successful against the IMMENSE odds, then cool. Congrats. But they should enter knowing that it is likely not a wise move, not with an encouraging shove.

DrStephenStrange

OMS-II C/O 2022
Bronze Donor
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere I like
Status
Medical Student
Well, I guess it does happen according to AAMC's MCAT GPA grid. 45 people got in last cycle with a GPA between 2.40-2.59 with MCAT as low as 486-489. These people probably cured cancer though or have donated huge amount of money to a certain Hospital or Medical school.

Last edited:

MemeLord

Spunky, Master of Sleeps
Feb 21, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
I did not have quite the same number of credits as you have when I started, but my numbers looked very similar.

2-3 years ago I posted on a SDN thread with essentially the same message that you have posted here. I had a 2.4 cumulative uGPA (only 1 BS, not 2). I am a first-generation college student, as well, and had no idea that I wanted to become a physician until after I had graduated from undergrad. People on SDN ridiculed, doubted, and laughed at me just like they're doing to you right now. I read Goro's advice and its tone just aggravated me. To be fair, the thread is very accurate and I suggest you follow it, as well as, any other advice that you might see from Goro. I spent a lot of time working my butt off over the last couple of years just to get into a SMP. I didn't have a 3.0 and applied to several SMPs and only got accepted to 1 SMP. I only needed 1, so that's fine. I just finished the program with a 3.9 and will hopefully be matriculating in the Fall, given I'm pulled from the waitlist once the adcom gets back from vacation to evaluate the MS students. Even if I don't get in this year, that's fine. I know that I have a very good chance at matriculating the following year somewhere else. Like Goro says, "Medical school isn't going anywhere."

To address the 5 year post prior to this one, I don't know your story and I'm not going to demand that you to tell me anything about yourself that you aren't comfortable presenting in an open forum. BUT you better have a significant upward trend whenever you decide/if you decide to apply to SMPs. You also better have a lot of clinical volunteering. For you to get into an SMP without a 3.0, the majority of everything needs to be right with the exception of your grades (to a certain point obviously). That's what the SMP is for--academic redemption.

If this is what you want to do without a doubt, and you're willing to make sacrifices, then I believe you can do it. If you have any doubt in yourself, or you don't enjoy working yourself to death, then don't do it. Don't waste the time and money. Next steps? I say you might as well finish out that second BS, but you sure as heck better kill those classes. If you have an upward trend, I feel like you should definitely be able to get into a SMP somewhere as long as your GRE/MCAT (or whatever entrance exam the programs you apply to require) are in check. When you get to your SMP, though, it has to be game time. There's only 2 options at that point: kill it or go home. After you kill the SMP (assuming you've also performed well on the MCAT), you might be able to pull it off and get accepted to a DO school. There's no guarantees here though and you have to accept that. You just have to roll with the punches, take what you've got, and do great things with what you have. Feel free to message me.

Also, Goro is still the MVP. No hard feelings haha. The tone needed to be rough in that post, and I greatly appreciate you for all that you do for us pre-med SDNers.
BTW, never responded to this: congratulations on the come back! That is impressive and hoping for good news about that waitlist! This cycle is brutal for the last-minute waitlists it seems...

Reactions: NoMessEMS

Isoval

I'm marginally higher on the totem pole.
Gold Donor
Jul 5, 2017
Texas
Status
Medical Student
I’m in the camp that believes OP is not a total loss, but is very, precipitously close.

There is no way you can repair your undergraduate GPA. That ship sailed 100 credits ago. As @MemeLord calculated, it would take another whole degree of straight As to bring your GPA even to a measly 3.0. A post-bacc or other undergraduate coursework is totally and completely off the table.

An SMP could possibly work, but there are some issues here. Issue one, you actually have to be accepted to one. Contrary to popular belief, they don’t accept every premed with a pulse. The one with linkage to my school has an acceptance rate of about 25%. Your undergraduate track record does not inspire confidence. Further, you would actually have to do well. Again, given your undergraduate record, I do not have a lot of confidence in this. If you truly have managed to turn things around and you get into an SMP and you kill it with a 4.0, I think that’s borderline your one and only shot.

There are some longer shots, like gaining an incredibly unique experience and putting time between you and undergrad with something like Peace Corps or some form of military service.

I want to be very clear that your academic record does not inspire confidence for medical curricula success and you should take a step back and reevaluate before you dig even deeper into the massive, gaping hole you’re currently in. Right now, you have two undergraduate degrees with little earning potential and presumably a lot of student debt. Before you eat more of that debt, you need to know that you will succeed.

If, after some self-reflection, there is any doubt in your mind, you need to consider another path my friend.

MemeLord

Spunky, Master of Sleeps
Feb 21, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
I’m in the camp that believes OP is not a total loss, but is very, precipitously close.

There is no way you can repair your undergraduate GPA. That ship sailed 100 credits ago. As @MemeLord calculated, it would take another whole degree of straight As to bring your GPA even to a measly 3.0. A post-bacc or other undergraduate coursework is totally and completely off the table.

An SMP could possibly work, but there are some issues here. Issue one, you actually have to be accepted to one. Contrary to popular belief, they don’t accept every premed with a pulse. The one with linkage to my school has an acceptance rate of about 25%. Your undergraduate track record does not inspire confidence. Further, you would actually have to do well. Again, given your undergraduate record, I do not have a lot of confidence in this. If you truly have managed to turn things around and you get into an SMP and you kill it with a 4.0, I think that’s borderline your one and only shot.

There are some longer shots, like gaining an incredibly unique experience and putting time between you and undergrad with something like Peace Corps or some form of military service.

I want to be very clear that your academic record does not inspire confidence for medical curricula success and you should take a step back and reevaluate before you dig even deeper into the massive, gaping hole you’re currently in. Right now, you have two undergraduate degrees with little earning potential and presumably a lot of student debt. Before you eat more of that debt, you need to know that you will succeed.

If, after some self-reflection, there is any doubt in your mind, you need to consider another path my friend.
This.

100% agreed for OP, heed this advice.

@Isoval put it in a much nicer and more coherent way than I did lol

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Status
Non-Student
I look at it through GPA. GPAs within the 2.0s sucks but people have gone to DO schools with it
Too much wishful thinking, Chem. For my SMP, I would reject the OP, as there is no sign of any academic improvement, and I feel that admitting them would just be stealing their money. I would be more sanguine if there was already an upward trend.

I've interviewed people who have had two complete UG degrees, but they vastly improved int he second. No sign of that from the OP.

Aug 3, 2018
Status
Attending Physician
I was in the SMP or Post Bac camp early on in this thread. After reading the OP had been doing the same thing for 4 years, I DEFINITELY am in the Plan B camp. As Dr Phil likes to say, the greatest predictor of future success is past performance. Unless OP has unlimited funds, I would not consider Post Bac or SMP. I recommended a Post Bac to an applicant who graduated from a local Pre Med mill with a 3.7 Cgpa as a science major with a low Mcat. They were unsuccessful in meeting admission requirements. Consider Podiatry, NP, CRNA, or PA if healthcare is where you want to be. Good luck and. est wishes!

Osminog

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
Dec 8, 2017
Pacific Ocean
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
OP, if you get a 500+ MCAT score, you'll have a shot at podiatry school, an uncompetitive DO SMP, or a Big 4 Caribbean school. Given your academic track record and the inherent risks involved in pursuing any of these paths, I'd advise you to choose another career.

Well, I guess it does happen according to AAMC's MCAT GPA grid. 45 people got in last cycle with a GPA between 2.40-2.59 with MCAT as low as 486-489. These people probably cured cancer though or have donated huge amount of money to a certain Hospital or Medical school.
According to the grid you linked, 45 people got in with MCATs of 489 or below at any GPA. Only one person got in with a sub-489 MCAT and GPA in the 2.40-2.59 range.

OP
M

moe619

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
According to the grid you linked, 45 people got in with MCATs of 489 or below at any GPA. Only one person got in with a sub-489 MCAT and GPA in the 2.40-2.59 range.
But aren't those cGPA? My cGPA is 2.92

No. Just...no.

Did the math. OP needs 135 more credits of ALL 4.0 to get a 3.0. It is just simply not possible given OPs track record.

OP, gonna give it to you straight - health care at the bachelors degree level will not be a place you will find a job.

Look elsewhere. I can try to sympathize, but it is not genuine sympathy. Based on your academics alone, no amount of passion will move you any further on this path.
I used Raise My GPA and it says to raise my cGPA to 3.0 I would need 21 units of all A's. And to raise sGPA I would need 85 units.

chemdoctor

2+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Just take thirty upper division sciences and see if you can get a 4.0

If you can get a 4.0, then your cGPA will be a 3.0 but your sGPA would still be below a 2.9

Maybe then really think about your career choice and whether or not you want to pursue this. It’s up to you, but you haven’t shown anyone that you can handle this. If you can get a 4.0 in thirty credits, then that’s something

Osminog

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
Dec 8, 2017
Pacific Ocean
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I used Raise My GPA and it says to raise my cGPA to 3.0 I would need 21 units of all A's. And to raise sGPA I would need 85 units.
85 credits is a lot. Assuming lecture-and-lab courses at your undergrad are 4 credits each, you'd need to take 21 lecture-and-lab science classes and get straight A's in them in order to push your sGPA up to a 3.0. Assuming you take four of them per semester, you'd be in school (full time) for at least two and a half more years. Given your academic history, we have to be honest with ourselves and admit that this simply isn't realistic.

Medicine isn't the ultimate holy grail, and it's not worth going down this long road of masochism and disappointment. Find another career path that fulfills you and better fits your credentials.

Dec 22, 2018
I had a very low GPA at one point too, fortunately, I hadn't sunk many credit hours into making my GPA essentially immovable. Even though I did bring my GPAs above 3.0, I still have not been accepted to a medical school and I still worry about not being accepted. As many have said it will come at costs mentally, financially and opportunity cost for something that is not guaranteed.

I will not tell you what to do, because that is ultimately your decision, but you should certainly explore other options if healthcare is what you want to do, there are many moving parts in such a big machine.

May 10, 2019

I would work on the depression first by getting help for it. Medication, therapy, Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation are some of the treatments for depression. Then find out why you are not doing well. Do you have a learning disability? If you think you do, you can go to your learning center at school, and get help for it. Could it be the way you are studying for your science courses? But, you need to get help for any mental health issues before you work on study skills and making another attempt at coursework.

Reactions: Shotapp and Goro

artist2022

yes, I'm a girl
2+ Year Member
Dec 25, 2016
Status
Dental Student
Since this was posted in four different forums, and this thread received the most responses, I'm going to direct all other input here.

If you would like to give OP your thoughts on their situation and their "chances" at Dent, Pod, Pharm, Opt, or Med school, post here.

My personal thoughts, I'd say dental school is probably out at this moment. Having a science GPA below 3.0 will most likely cause you to be auto-rejected from schools. I'd try to do a Masters with nothing but As to have a shot at dental schools. Don't know about other professions though. Good luck