2.46 sGPA, 2.92 cGPA, 250 attempted units

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just take thirty upper division sciences and see if you can get a 4.0
I know you mean well but, for the past several posts you've been giving awful advice. OP needs to find a different career to be honest. But if he/she doesn't want to quit, then take an extended break from school (like 3-5 yrs. To distance the bad grades), work, save up money, and get the depression under control. If he/she still has that fire for medicine afterwards and they really took the time to look deep within themselves about their past performance then they can do a post-bac-->then smp.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
I know you mean well but, for the past several posts you've been giving awful advice. OP needs to find a different career to be honest. But if he/she doesn't want to quit, then take an extended break from school (like 3-5 yrs. To distance the bad grades), work, save up money, and get the depression under control. If he/she still has that fire for medicine afterwards and they really took the time to look deep within themselves about their past performance then they can do a post-bac-->then smp.

I was giving similar advice to what @Goro would give. If you think it's terrible then I guess its whatever

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, sorry about my calculation earlier. I saw 2.46 as the cGPA. Either was, 2.46 for sGPA is a very hard low. To re-evaluate based on my switching the number I would agree with if you can do 30 credits of >3.5 to shoot for Podiatry or lowball DO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
At some point, one has to know when to fold and leave the game.

Yes they do. I said that OP should keep other careers in mind. It’s just that there are people that you know of that have succeeded

At some point, one has to know when to fold and leave the game.

I'll give up when I apply to schools and then get denied. In the meantime, all I can do is improve my stats as much as possible.

Reactions: 2 users
Even if you tell someone not to do something stupid you still need to make sure they know how to do the stupid thing safely.
Lol. This post is the truth.

Reactions: 4 users
OP, I commented on a few of your posts before, so you know my thought about apply to other professional schools, but ill wrap it up.

MD/DO: is most likely out unless you get into a SMP and boss it as well as the MCAT. I think an SMP is a great way to find out if you can handle the rigor of medical school. You either sink or swim, no in between and it will put to rest the "I can do it if I believe hard enough" mentality. Its hard, but people have been in your shoes before. There is an MD on the forums that had something like a 2.8 GPA after a great upward trend and got a great MCAT score and ended up getting in. You have to think realistically that its not gonna happen though.

Dental: Prolly out, but there are posts on the forum of people with sub 3.0 making it after upward trend. Again, people have been in your position before, but really only get accepted with a fantastic DAT and a close to 4.0 masters program.

PA/NP/Etc: Each one will be different. PA is prolly out, but I have known some nurses (RNs) with horrible GPAs.

OD: Gonna be a very longshot. You would have to boss the OAT to have a chance at the new schools. THere are users on the forums with sub 3.0s in OD school now, but it was usually with a 350+ OAT. You might get lucky.

DPM: Podiatry is actually an achievable/realistic goal. Ive personally met people with 487 MCAT and 2.7 GPAs doing just fine in DPM school, but they turned up the heat in professional school. The Pod forum is full of people with sub 3.0 GPAs that get a spot in a big school. Guess what, these guys do doctor stuff: draining cysts, amputating toes, wounds, prescribing antibiotics, etc. The curriculum might eat you alive, but you could at least get into a school instead of pining for a professional school that will forever friendzone you.

Dont know why DPM is so overlooked by the premed community, but there it is. Premeds visceral hatred for feet allow sub 490 premeds spots in Podiatry school all the time.

Pharmacy: This is also a possibility. Pharm school are hurting for applicants, and Ive seen a couple posts from people being accepted with 2.5 GPA and no PCAT making it into expensive schools.

Im actually really surprised by the negativity on the forums. Granted, the smartest thing to do is to cut losses and find anouther path. Not everyone is meant to be a physician and indeed, that might not be the best place for people either. Who knows, maybe OP could save more lives by developing a computer program that does stuff.

ont know why DPM is so overlooked by the premed community, but there it is. Premeds visceral hatred for feet allow sub 490 premeds spots in Podiatry school all the time.
You answered your own question. Feet are terrible. DPM is a very highly respectable profession and should not be looked down on, but for most people feet are just icky.

I’m going to support the OP here.

I’m ~2.5ish both cumulate and science. Enrolled in an SMP now. MCAT is solid. Good LOR and a few good contacts. Plus I’m 33, married, house, and baby on the way. Almost 15 years as a medic.

Difference between us is my 80+ current credits at a 3.9 including my SMP. I had a crap (and I mean freaking terrible) undergrad. And it’s been a slog improving myself to this point. But I’ve called every DO school and spoke with their admission directors. I have essentially four schools I am applying to based on those conversations . That’s it. But I made this problem for myself and only I can remedy it. Goro has given great advice and folks in my position can’t afford GPA repair. 3.0 isn’t reasonable for me. But I’ll be darned if I can’t demonstrate me now is not me five or ten years ago.

So to the OP: get your house in order, get help, and push forward but also be realistic. For what it’s worth, there are PA programs that use retakes and last 40/60 credits. But show you can handle the rigors of Medicine. Best wishes.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@MemeLord

The post above is specifically an example I’m talking about. People can and do get their **** together and make it.

Reactions: 1 users
@MemeLord

The post above is specifically an example I’m talking about. People can and do get their **** together and make it.
Difference between us is my 80+ current credits at a 3.9 including my SMP.
This is the key component. @dxu did terribly in undergrad a long time ago, took time off, and came back. OP is just chugging along. OP can leave and come back. But they don’t need encouraging advice now. They need encouraging advice in 5-10 years.

Reactions: 5 users
This is the key component. @dxu did terribly in undergrad a long time ago, took time off, and came back. OP is just chugging along. OP can leave and come back. But they don’t need encouraging advice now. They need encouraging advice in 5-10 years.

True. OP definitely needs to prove to us and to himself that he can do well

I'm in med school now with a 3.2 cGPA and a 2.9 sGPA from undergrad... there's always a chance

OP,
You'll have to get into a linkage masters to a DO/MD school and put it all on the line.
Oh and you'll have to take MCAT too...

@MemeLord @chemdoctor

Know what made me get my act together? It was an MD with whom I work. Same age as I am. Looked me in the eyes and said “wtf are you doing”? Another MD told me he wondered when I would finally say enough is enough and get my butt in med school.

When two stellar EM docs tell you “go!!” You freaking listen and believe and get your **** together. As Goro told me, getting accepted is 100% on me. Game on.

You posted this post in the dental forum and I'll chip in. I like to stay positive but in the end sometimes you have to step back and look at reality. There is always a chance you can get in but it's really not in your favor. Even if you have a huge amount of resource, it still might not be worth it. I get that our generation is always rooting for the underdog and there are many good stories but there are many more that do not make it and we do not hear from them. It is a pity that no one was there before to prevent you from going deeper or maybe you just ignored the advice and kept pushing with the belief it would be alright. The world is very unforgiving unless you're really lucky or have connections. No one really brags about their failures and they would not even have the time to be on forums. We can only speak and give you advice from our perspective. If I were in your position I would not look into MD, DDS, DO. Might look into pharmacy. If you pulled up your gpa a bit sgpa 2.8 and up (do your due diligence and read up the current state of the career if you are serious). I'm assuming you have an amazing story for the bad start or else you almost have no chance if admissions sees that you just did not care. I do not have much insight on the other healthcare professions and other people can possibly help you with more alternatives. Just like what artist2022 said, a decent amount of D. school will auto reject you. Look at it realistically because from your previous posts you've been really optimistic. The future is unpredictable and you may find another source of happiness in another field. Like you said in a previous post, there are people with 3.6gpa that are stressing with the chance of getting in. I had around a 3.5 and above average DAT scores and I did not get into dental school 2 years in a row! First gen student pressure was strong. It takes a strong mind and a decent amount of resource for the healthcare field. Take in the negatives and the positives and the decision is all yours to make.

Good luck!

For podiatry school, the only schools you have any chance at all are Barry, Kent, and Scholl. I'd say MD/DO is out of the question so forget SMP. Take your MCAT, do well, apply in August to the 3 schools mentioned and see what happens. If you don't get in, re-evaluate your situation.

. Consider Podiatry, NP, CRNA, or PA if healthcare is where you want to be. Good luck and. est wishes!
OP, if you get a 500+ MCAT score, you'll have a shot at podiatry school, an uncompetitive DO SMP, or a Big 4 Caribbean school. Given your academic track record and the inherent risks involved in pursuing any of these paths, I'd advise you to choose another career.

With all due respect, a 2.49 sGPA is not going to cut it in podiatry school.

I understand people like bashing on DPM programs or do not realize how difficult the training is, but the curriculum is challenging on top of board exams and residency. OP has not proven they have had success in classroom work, standardized exams, or clinical skills.

Any DPM program accepting him with a 2.49 sGPA should be put under review.

Unfourtunantly, there are a couple of DPM schools that will give him an interview if OP manages a 493+ On the MCAT .

Nobody except for maybe DO students at Pod schools with joint lectures who take classes with DPMs understands podiatry training and rigor.

Getting through, I’d doubt OP could make it.

I understand people like bashing on DPM programs or do not realize how difficult the training is, but the curriculum is challenging on top of board exams and residency. OP has not proven they have had success in classroom work, standardized exams, or clinical skills.

Lol, ohhh the rigors of pod school... sure it's tough bc is another extension of school, but it's not very tough to get in. People who flop the MCAT with 490's apply and get in. OP, go for that you'll be good.

Lol, ohhh the rigors of pod school... sure it's tough bc is another extension of school, but it's not very tough to get in. People who flop the MCAT with 490's apply and get in. OP, go for that you'll be good.

I completely agree that it is very easy to get in.
I am concerned about their success after getting in.

Change starts from the inside. One of the ways to push profession forward is to increase the caliber of students coming in. Not important to you I'm sure, but something I feel strongly about. That is the reason behind my advice for OP.

I have about equal or potentially worse GPA then you and I got into a pretty good SMP program w/ DO linkage (maybe some of you have seen my thread) and I'm starting in the Fall. Haven't read through all of the responses here, but if you're set on doing Med School (MD/DO) it seems the consensus is that SMP is the route to go due to our situation. For Pod school you can do upper div classes, get a 4.0 and then apply. Correct me if I'm wrong though!

Oh and even though I didn't get into Pod School, I'm pretty happy with my situation. I believe an SMP will put you to the test and force you to work your ass off like no other-- as opposed to sliding into Pod School and struggling. At least now with the masters I'll gain knowledge and experience to hopefully help me succeed if/when I'm accepted to Med School. But ultimately up to you to decide what's best for yourself OP!

I have about equal or potentially worse GPA then you and I got into a pretty good SMP program w/ DO linkage (maybe some of you have seen my thread) and I'm starting in the Fall. Haven't read through all of the responses here, but if you're set on doing Med School (MD/DO) it seems the consensus is that SMP is the route to go due to our situation. For Pod school you can do upper div classes, get a 4.0 and then apply. Correct me if I'm wrong though!

Oh and even though I didn't get into Pod School, I'm pretty happy with my situation. I believe an SMP will put you to the test and force you to work your ass off like no other-- as opposed to sliding into Pod School and struggling. At least now with the masters I'll gain knowledge and experience to hopefully help me succeed if/when I'm accepted to Med School. But ultimately up to you to decide what's best for yourself OP!
Only SMP worth doing are direct linkage IMO (VCOM, WVCOM), otherwise I feel like it's risk

Only SMP worth doing are direct linkage IMO (VCOM, WVCOM), otherwise I feel like it's risk
With anything in life comes risk, but yes to mitigate said risk a strong program should be chosen. But based on MY stats and OP's you consider all options offered and go with the best one. In this case I was fortunate enough to gain entrance into a linkage program. But yes the interview only programs are risky(er)

I am still taking science courses, so it will be higher when I eventually apply.

ARCOM started their own SMP this year with guaranteed interview if you finish the program with a B average. Plus you won't have to retake Anatomy if you get a B as well. The inaugural class tuition was lowered from 35K to 5K, but application deadline was June 1st. So OP might try that next year if he wants, but I also doubt they will accept him with such low GPAs.

ARCOM started their own SMP this year with guaranteed interview if you finish the program with a B average. Plus you won't have to retake Anatomy if you get a B as well. The inaugural class tuition was lowered from 35K to 5K, but application deadline was June 1st. So OP might try that next year if he wants, but I also doubt they will accept him with such low GPAs.
There's plenty of auto interview ones but personally I'd chase the auto acceptance ones.
The SMP anatomy must include cadavers and stuff as well for SMP then, if no need to retake... interesting.

Wait, that's crazyyy about the 5K though - can I get transfer ?!

Hey! Similar GPA here with over 200 credits attempted in undergrad as well. There's always more to the story than numbers, you know? Had a strong upward trend and a good MCAT, and was able to gain acceptance into a US MD program through a good SMP. I had a lot to offer and you might too... so don't ever feel like your chances are off the table. It's only over when you say it is. I'm starting medical school in August! Best of luck.

Hey! Similar GPA here with over 200 credits attempted in undergrad as well. There's always more to the story than numbers, you know? Had a strong upward trend and a good MCAT, and was able to gain acceptance into a US MD program through a good SMP. I had a lot to offer and you might too... so don't ever feel like your chances are off the table. It's only over when you say it is. I'm starting medical school in August! Best of luck.

The thing is, an upward trend is a big deal to any schools that reward reinvention.

From reading this thread, it is reasonably clear to me that OP does not have an upward trend. Ergo, it becomes necessary to prove your academic worth in a post-bacc or SMP.

So basically OP, if I were you, I’d give it another try ONCE YOU GET YOUR ISSUES UNDER CONTROL.

Do well in a post bacc and An smp, and you should be able to achieve what you want. HOWEVER, you need to prove to US, to YOURSELF and to ADCOMS, that you can do this.

Last edited:
So basically OP, if I were you, I’d give it another try ONCE YOU GET YOUR ISSUES UNDER CONTROL.

Ace a post bacc and An smp, and you should be able to achieve what you want. HOWEVER, you need to prove to US, to YOURSELF and to ADCOMS, that you can do this.
Alternatively, get > 495 on the MCAT and take 6 more science classes at >3.0 in order to have an sGPA of 2.5 and then apply to podiatry school.

Alternatively, get > 495 on the MCAT and take 6 more science classes at >3.0 in order to have an sGPA of 2.5 and then apply to podiatry school.

Not a bad option either. Idk if OP has a thing for feet but hey, podiatrists make over 100k

Not a bad option either. Idk if OP has a thing for feet but hey, podiatrists make over 100k
If you are like me and hate feet, think of it as getting the opportunity to stab feet all day and occasionally even remove feet from people. If you treat it in a sadistic way, OP, it can be fun! (Is joke).

Much easier and less risky path. Though Pod school can be just as brutal as MD/DO, especially if you take classes with the DO students. Literally the same classes the first two years.

Too bad most people go ew feet. Good little profession and ability to do surgery. I met a couple people who turned down their DO acceptances for DPM because of the surgical aspect.

For those interested, here is the stat book:

Congrats man! However you and OP are NOT the same. You had your stuff together. OP doesn't. Look at the post history and look at today. Nothing has changed. The magic thinking OP is doing isn't going to help them. I'm not being mean, I'm just being honest. I'm doing a post-bac to improve my gpa as well (then I will do a smp).

I would like to take a moment to talk to all of you who suggested to the individual that they give up their path to medicine and move on to another. While you ~may~ have had good intentions, at the end of the day it is not your business, whatsoever, what choice this person makes. How many of you have been told to give up and move on, yet pursue the career despite its struggles?? If not all of you, I'm 100% sure it will happen to each and every person one day. So why would you go out of your way to suggest it to a fellow student? If your advice does not pertain to what the person is asking and is simply telling them to explore other options, I think many (if not all) of us would politely ask you to keep that to yourself. If you wish to give up on this career just because of its struggle, go ahead, but don't ask others.

This should be a place of helping one another, spreading kindness & support and overall a supporting community. I, for one, have grown extremely tired of hearing/reading "explore other options" "medicine isn't for you obviously" and "you dug yourself quite the hole". Unless you would follow that advice had some on the internet had offered it, I don't see why you would give it to someone.

All in all, I gave my piece and I hope I haven't offended anyone. We're all in this together and I wish us all the best. To the individual who started this thread, there are many programs meant specific to enhance pre-health grades, there are also masters programs (such as Masters of Biomedical Science programs) that are meant to help you as well as prepare you for your professional career. In fact, many programs have agreements with medical schools to have a guaranteed interview ( so long as you maintain a good GPA). A quick Google Search of " pre-health grade enhancement" " masters of biomedical science programs" etc, will definitely get you started on your search! Best of luck! :)

I would like to take a moment to talk to all of you who suggested to the individual that they give up their path to medicine and move on to another. While you ~may~ have had good intentions, at the end of the day it is not your business, whatsoever, what choice this person makes. How many of you have been told to give up and move on, yet pursue the career despite its struggles?? If not all of you, I'm 100% sure it will happen to each and every person one day. So why would you go out of your way to suggest it to a fellow student? If your advice does not pertain to what the person is asking and is simply telling them to explore other options, I think many (if not all) of us would politely ask you to keep that to yourself. If you wish to give up on this career just because of its struggle, go ahead, but don't ask others.

This should be a place of helping one another, spreading kindness & support and overall a supporting community. I, for one, have grown extremely tired of hearing/reading "explore other options" "medicine isn't for you obviously" and "you dug yourself quite the hole". Unless you would follow that advice had some on the internet had offered it, I don't see why you would give it to someone.

All in all, I gave my piece and I hope I haven't offended anyone. We're all in this together and I wish us all the best. To the individual who started this thread, there are many programs meant specific to enhance pre-health grades, there are also masters programs (such as Masters of Biomedical Science programs) that are meant to help you as well as prepare you for your professional career. In fact, many programs have agreements with medical schools to have a guaranteed interview ( so long as you maintain a good GPA). A quick Google Search of " pre-health grade enhancement" " masters of biomedical science programs" etc, will definitely get you started on your search! Best of luck! :)
Lol what are you going on about?
OP posted on a med forum about what he should do / his chances...
It's called an opinion. It is the literal point of this things.

But maybe you haven't come to terms with that yet considering this is your first post.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users

The best way to make a major life altering decision is to glean as much information as possible, synthesize it to your situation and make the best decision for you. These decisions can have elaborate costs to consider. OP came on this forum and asked for information/opinions. I believe they received candid opinions from many experienced people. OP deserves honest, candid information. I believe OP has received sound advice and has enough information to make the best decision for them. Life is full of choice, make good ones.

OP came here seeking realistic advice, not hugs and kisses. Giving the OP a "rah rah...you can do it!" isn't going to help him/her.

Reactions: 6 users

I can see your point of view but it is not realistic. Considering this is your first post and you're telling everyone how they should act is only going to hurt people. People come here for real advice not for an act. Children with dreams are told that they can do everything but as we grow older we experience reality. People who post here are mature enough to weigh and balance everything out. Many parents tell their kids that they can do everything and anything. I go on SDN to hear other's opinion in my situation. The posts here are a balance of people's thoughts without a mask. I hope you'll consider being real with people who ask for advice if you continue to post and help others. If you ask for someone's opinion then you must also accept it even if it is an answer you do not want to hear.

I do agree with you that it is not our decision to make but one OP can make with the knowledge presented.

In light of the above, there ARE people in OP’s situation that got their **** together, did well in a post bacc and SMP and made it into medical school. It’s very difficult but it is not IMPOSSIBLE.

OP this decision is yours to make. If you want it, then you can do it but you do need to consider whether or not it is worth it for YOU.

In light of the above, there ARE people in OP’s situation that got their **** together, did well in a post bacc and SMP and made it into medical school. It’s very difficult but it is not IMPOSSIBLE.

OP this decision is yours to make. If you want it, then you can do it but you do need to consider whether or not it is worth it for YOU.
The statistics say you are correct. It is rare, but OP can def contribute to the statistics.....whichever side they are on is wholly up to them.

The statistics say you are correct. It is rare, but OP can def contribute to the statistics.....whichever side they are on is wholly up to them.

True. But I do agree that OP REALLY needs to get their **** together for any chance. As you and others have said, people that succeeded from OP’s position, SHOWED improvement via post bacc or SMP. OP needs to show that!

We're all in this together...
Wahaha
Hahaha
Hahahahahaha

Does not compute.

You can say that about your family and friends who actually care about you. I cannot say that with a straight face even about my partners. At end of the day, we are all in this for ourselves. You just need to know the reason(s). Be it money, prestige, world peace...... you need to be “selfish” one way or another, or you cannot survive long in this field.

Tl;dr. I am in this for me, not together with you.

You will need to do another 250 credits (4 year college is 128) and you will still only have a 3.3 GPA which is subpar. You have spent about 8 years of your life on this. You will be what? 30? By the time you put out a bad med school application.

SMPs are made for situations like this to give you a fresh start. Try to get into one. If you can't, you can find a respectable career elsewhere. Medicine is not everything. If you can't handle this undergrad stuff you can't handle medical school.

This brings up an interesting topic, when is it time to call it quits on medicine and pursue other options? Is it after 3 bad MCAT retakes? 100+ credits at 2.5 GPA? Do an SMP and fail out? When? We live in a generation of "Never give up" and "muh dream"

Failure is very real. We hear so much of the success stories on SDN that it is easy to forget that for each person who pulled themselves up and made it, there are 3 others who hit organic and called it quits. Or worse, those who spend years trying to pull up their GPA, cobble together a 3.4 GPA in biology only to be hit with a 490 MCAT score.

I know people who spent three years retaking grades to fix their GPA, only to have DO schools stop grade replacement. I a student who have taken the MCAT 5 times and has yet to get into medical school.

I know of several master's students who did this, told the whole world they were applying to medical school, and just got destroyed by the process. Many cut their losses and did teaching. The ones who still wanted to be doctors in their heart of hearts and had enough humility went to Podiatry school. Some did Pharmacy. Some went to the Caribbean and failed to match, now sitting on 250K of nondischargable debt. Some went to a SMP and nailed it, others ended up with a 2.7 GPA and no prospects.

When do you throw in the towel?

You will need to do another 250 credits (4 year college is 128) and you will still only have a 3.3 GPA which is subpar. You have spent about 8 years of your life on this. You will be what? 30? By the time you put out a bad med school application.

SMPs are made for situations like this to give you a fresh start. Try to get into one. If you can't, you can find a respectable career elsewhere. Medicine is not everything. If you can't handle this undergrad stuff you can't handle medical school.

This brings up an interesting topic, when is it time to call it quits on medicine and pursue other options? Is it after 3 bad MCAT retakes? 100+ credits at 2.5 GPA? Do an SMP and fail out? When? We live in a generation of "Never give up" and "muh dream"

Failure is very real. We hear so much of the success stories on SDN that it is easy to forget that for each person who pulled themselves up and made it, there are 3 others who hit organic and called it quits. Or worse, those who spend years trying to pull up their GPA, cobble together a 3.4 GPA in biology only to be hit with a 490 MCAT score.

I know people who spent three years retaking grades to fix their GPA, only to have DO schools stop grade replacement. I a student who have taken the MCAT 5 times and has yet to get into medical school.

I know of several master's students who did this, told the whole world they were applying to medical school, and just got destroyed by the process. Many cut their losses and did teaching. The ones who still wanted to be doctors in their heart of hearts and had enough humility went to Podiatry school. Some did Pharmacy. Some went to the Caribbean and failed to match, now sitting on 250K of nondischargable debt. Some went to a SMP and nailed it, others ended up with a 2.7 GPA and no prospects.

When do you throw in the towel?
With English being my 3rd language,
I took the old MCAT once and got an 18.
Took the new MCAT 4 times: 487, 492, 499, 500.
That's a total of 5 times. I still didn't call it quit. In fact, I had about 16 interview invites including my in-state MD school and plenty of DO schools, I attended 5, and I got 2 DO acceptances, 1 DO WL, 2 rejections (one DO and one MD). That was almost 2 years ago, and now I'm an incoming OMS2.

Last edited:
  • Love