<2.5 GPA, still made it to Top Ten School for MPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

easteregg1990

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This post is for all of you who are thinking your grades hold you back.

I graduated from a Public Ivy in 2014 and I had a terrible GPA. I could barely make it out of college. But somehow managed to pull that one off. I ended up with a GPA below 2.5. I was discouraged and disappointed. I took a few months off studied for my MCATs, did well, and decided to apply for internships. I applied to EVERY University I could imagine. NO ONE WOULD TAKE ME.

One day, I called a professor at Emory. Convinced him to take me on as a volunteer. Ended up impressing him with my story and technical skills. He taught me everything about science that he knew. Hired me as a junior technician. I took graduate courses, contributed to significant papers and research, took my GRE, did well and decided to apply to graduate school.

So far I have gotten in one TOP TEN MPH program school with scholarship, while waiting on two more. I have gotten in several other programs with scholarships.
I was the one who was reluctant, thinking my academic career had ended. Heres a testament to the saying,

"Where there is a will, there is a way. If there is a chance in a million that you can do something, anything, to keep what you want from ending, do it. Pry the door open or, if need be, wedge your foot in that door and keep it open."
-Pauline Kael

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users