1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

2.5 years of not so good grades under my belt

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by musicalPharmD, Jul 30, 2006.

1. Hi. I am new. Just wanted some thoughts on whether or not I should wait to apply.

I went to a CC after high school, with pharmacy school or studying like a pre-health student out of my mind. I was pursuing an engineering degree. I was at the CC for 2.5 years (part time first year). I got a job in a pharmacy-took it because it payed well and hours were flexible. I like it alot. I had it for 19 months and still continuing until the fall when I start studies at a university (I'm lucky they accepted me,I think the pharm exp and LORS and my PS that helped alot).

CC GPA: 2.9 (2 W's, ochem grades 2.4, 2.8, 2.8 qtr system) I was not focused AT ALL. I got my act together now.

I will complete my major at the university in two years (2 sequences of fall winter spring and summer quarters-8 quarters total). My major is Biology/Anthropology BS. I already plan to spend one extra year there as a post bac student.

I am considering two options and would appreciate any feedback:

1. Apply to pharmacy scools the end of the 2nd year at the university and (hopefully) enroll the academic year following my 3rd year (post bac) at the university.

2. Apply to pharmacy schools the end of my third year-the advantage, ~11 quarters of (BETTER) grades for adcoms to see. But unfortunately wait a year for any accepted and be 25 then I start pharmacy school.

I live in WA state by the way.

Any thoughts?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. UVaWahoo

UVaWahoo Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    i had 3 straight semesters of 2.7 gpa's, including C's in orgo, and i got into schools :)

i dont think you'd be doing any harm by applying to enroll right after you get your BS. maybe include the getting your act together story in your personal statement?

4. well....so far i think the best thing to do is apply my at the end of my second year there (when i get my BS) then durring the gap year remained enrolled as a post bac student taking upper level sciences and all those little requirements (maybe some econ, psych). If I do this 8 quarters of undergrad work plus one quarter of post bac will be seen by adcoms.

5. im retaking the ochem series at the university as well. i have room for it. and i liked it :)

6. PharmMnM

PharmMnM Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy

what two schools did you get accepted to? were your Cs from a community college? why do you think you got accepted? thanks

7. tncekm

tncekm MS-1
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If you can finish with straight A's and get your BCPM gpa and overall near the 3.5 range, just work your butt off.

If you can't, I'd consider just starting over at a different CC and never transferring your old transcripts :D You can probably pound out the credits like crazy having already taking many of the classes before. You can seriously probably transfer to a U in 1.5 yrs if you work hard.

8. student212

student212 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    what schools did u apply to