2.6 science at graduation! Any chance of MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
your GPA is definitely higher than your typical SMPer who probably hovers around a 3.3 or even lower. It is a possible route but I am gonna say it is unnecessary. You should be able to get in with those stats.

Yes, I'm really hoping so, but it's still only about a 66% acceptance chance according to MSAR. That's decent but not a sure thing by any means. So I'm preparing for the worst.

I'm thinking about Georgetown. Tulane if I'm waitlisted somewhere.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Well..time to get cracking. Here goes nothing. :scared:

So I got verified. Freshman GPA 2.00. Sophomore GPA: 1.00.

Oh yea, WHO WANTS TO MESS WITH ME? :p

Junior 3.4. Senior 3.9. Post bac 3.9. Overall 3.58.

I wonder if they'll notice that. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in a similar boat:

Freshman: 1.79
Sophomore: 3.27
Junior 1st Sem: 1.55
-Leave-
Junior 2nd Sem: 4.08
Senior: 3.70 (3.78 science)

SMP: 3.91

MCAT: 38Q

It is always an inspiration to see others who have gone through what I had to and then pull through. I'm applying now as well and I hope you get into many wonderful places! :)

4.08? It sounds like your school has a GPA that allows above a 4.0. Why is this? A+s? If so AMCAS will recalculate that because it has to be on a 4.0 scale.

Nice work on the MCAT and excellent grade trend. Good luck!

I for one can't wait to see how this story turns out keep us posted if you get in!

Good luck, I hope it works out for you! Your sgpa now is pretty good, despite the rough start. I had a 1.7 sgpa after graduating (no Fs, but freshman year was a train wreck). I brought it up to a 3.2 sgpa though and I'm applying this year.

I really hope you get some bites because after working that hard to bring your sgpa that high you deserve it! :)

Thanks guys, let's hope :). Sent in about 12 secondaries so far...many more to go. Getting them out as soon as they're coming in.

I'd also appreciate any suggestions on my school choices (if I need to add anymore) :).

I'd also appreciate any suggestions on my school choices (if I need to add anymore) :).

You should definitely apply to the NY-area SUNYs, Downstate and Stony Brook, as well as Albert Einstein (aka AECOM).

Best of luck with UVM. That's where I go, and I love the place. It's a great school with an integrated curriculum, beautiful high-tech facilities, and a wonderful atmosphere. Your stats will be quite competitive there.

You shouldn't have a complex about your stats. Your numbers are very solid now, and your turnaround story is really amazing. Believe in yourself and go knock 'em dead.

One week since verification. 18 secondaries done. Giving myself a 2 day break before finishing the rest.

No interviews yet :p.

Yes, so far rejected by George Washington (this one hurt) and VCU (not sure on this one, my status changed and then it changed back, maybe a mistake).

Members don't see this ad :)
I now see you have half of those updated on your MDApps already. That's a good place to keep the record so that those of us in your fan base can keep up to date with your progress. Good idea.

Haha fanbase :p. Yea I'm working through the secondaries at a rate of 1-2 per day. Let's hope a med school or two join that fanbase. It's a bit discouraging to get rejections before finishing secondaries. B

Including a F and a bunch of Cs. No As. It's not pretty. I was not a science major but took a bunch of sciences and got some Bs and Cs and one F (in higher calc).

I am in a post-bacc program right now, and so far I have a 3.9 (all As, one B+). At the conclusion of this program, I will have a 3.3 sci. GPA. I plan to do another year of undergrad courses after the post-bac, and if I keep my GPA trend up, I will get up to a science GPA between 3.5 and 3.6 (perhaps I can actually reach a 3.6, we'll see).

My overall was a 3.4 at graduation, and it should also be up to a 3.5 overall GPA after my post-bac year and a 3.6 overall GPA after two years of close-to-full science only workload.

How much is my undergrad going to hurt? Note: My overall GPA at the end of my sophomore year was a 2.92, and my science at 1.6 or something like that.

Over the last three years, I have worked very hard and maintained a 3.8 overall and a 3.9 science. But I am afraid of my first two years of many Cs, an F, and no As.

Unfortunately, after two years, when my overall is a 3.6 and my science is at 3.5-3.6, I will have so many credit hours (around 300), that taking more undergrad courses will not be possible (e.g, no increase in grades).

I really want to get into a MD school, and would rather not take the risk of a SMP. Is it possible with the horrible start I gave myself or should I be looking at other options?

I know somebody who got into a good medical school with an undergraduate GPA that barely cracked a 2.0.

Between undergrad and med school, she got an MPH, did some great healthcare work, and did well on the MCAT. The farther removed you are from undergraduate, the less it matters - down to the point of negligibility.

Last edited:
your story sounds eerily similar to mine, cept i'm a year behind you. best of luck boggvir and i hope you make it to med school this cycle. i'll be keeping close tabs on your situation as it unfolds haha

good freakin luck

can you link your mdapps??? i dont see it underneath your name

32 secondaries finished in 22 days with a full time amount of job/volunteering/etc.

I AM THE MASTER!!!! And completely broke.

BUT I AM THE MASTER!!!!!

1st interview! Vermont! Really excited.

Thank you catalystic and others for your support and suggestions!

OP - you need no advice from me, but I just wanted to comment that this thread is absolutely the best SDN has to offer. I'm as bad as the next guy for snarking it up in the pre-allo forums, but this thread is informative and uplifting and just good. Best of luck to you, I really feel strongly in your chances.

Another interview - two so far!

OP - you need no advice from me, but I just wanted to comment that this thread is absolutely the best SDN has to offer. I'm as bad as the next guy for snarking it up in the pre-allo forums, but this thread is informative and uplifting and just good. Best of luck to you, I really feel strongly in your chances.

Thanks :). I am reeeeaaally hoping I don't need to spend another year. I will if I have to, but this has been a long long LONG road to recovery for me, and I'd like to get in already :laugh:.

This interview season is turning out much better than I had imagined possible. Five MD interview invites so far! I'm so excited and happy. SDN is a lifesaver.

Haha yes, that is probably just as important. For others in my situation applying in the future, the schools that have offered me interviews so far are Vermont, NYMC, Stony Brook, Temple, Drexel.

Haha yes, that is probably just as important. For others in my situation applying in the future, the schools that have offered me interviews so far are Vermont, NYMC, Stony Brook, Temple, Drexel.

You are my hero, btw!!!!!

Thanks! Up to 11 MD interviews now...never give up hope! Keep on working hard, eventually good things will happen.

Thanks! Up to 11 MD interviews now...never give up hope! Keep on working hard, eventually good things will happen.

Wow.. that is incredibly impressive! People like yourself have given me hope for any chance at med school.

I graduated from UVM with a BS in Animal Science with a gpa of 2.96. For a long time I had dreams of vet school but I felt bogged down by the negative responses I was receiving from faculty members; so I decided just to finish my degree in general animal science and see what happens. I have had plenty of different seasonal jobs within my field but has proven to not be enough, hence why I would really like to take a shot at med school, especially now seeing others in similar situations have done so. I'm going to be in a health related position through the AmeriCorps starting next month, which will help with the experience side of things.

I'm planning on doing a post bacc like program to either retake some of the science classes I screwed up in (D- in one of them :-/) and to take extras just to boost my gpa up more. If I do well in a post bac and MCAT, think I have a chance? Or should I also aim for an SMP afterwards?

Any acceptances, can I assume that since you changed your status to medical student that you got accepted?

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR MDAPPS PAGE WITH A SUMMARY OF YOUR EXPERIENCE!!!!

p.s. you're still my hero

Yes. 13 Interviews. Two acceptances and one waitlist so far. I am in crazy shock. I promise to update my mdapps with a lot of detail in about a month.

I did not expect this at all.

My biggest advice would be: you didn't dig a hole for yourself in a month, so don't expect to dig yourself out of it in a month. Have a goal, work at it, and you'll get there.

Yes. 13 Interviews. Two acceptances and one waitlist so far. I am in crazy shock. I promise to update my mdapps with a lot of detail in about a month.

I did not expect this at all.

My biggest advice would be: you didn't dig a hole for yourself in a month, so don't expect to dig yourself out of it in a month. Have a goal, work at it, and you'll get there.

That's awesome, congrats on the acceptances! May I ask where you got accepted to?

I spoke to a counselor at my undergrad, and she said she has never seen anyone get into a medical school with an F and my other grades in science classes (referring to the 1.6), and I should perhaps look at other careers.
You will help students coming after you with a polite note to the undergrad counselor about your admissions success despite a poor academic showing in your early years, so she will leave room for hope along with her cautionary words in the future.
Will do :) - after I actually get in. :p
Time to institute this plan?

Time to institute this plan?

Haha, yes. I'll talk to her before the cycle is over just to update her on what I did to get accepted so she can give hope to others in a similar position.

I'm excited for you! You're gonna be a doctor!
ME TOO!!! I almost got weak at the knees when I got that call from the dean. My parents and my girlfriend got together and bought me a car (!!!) as a present - I guess they had more faith than I did. Although I think my girlfriend might be giving me the hint to pop the question. :laugh:

Congrats!!!!

Thanks! I mean that to everyone here. I could not have done it without SDN. I have no doctors in the family, and I didn't really have any source except SDN to figure out what to do, how to do it, etc. I know people blame the site for being too snippy or cynical sometimes, but it's been absolutely invaluable for me!

Hey Boggvir, I just read through your thread from the first post and I have to say it was very inspirational. This is definitely a good story where you should work hard for what you want and never give up hope.

I'm sort of in the same boat. I have a 3.1 GPA with a 32 MCAT, with 10 years working in healthcare as a CNA and a nuclear medicine tech.(I'm definitely a non-trad :)) I'm hoping that experience will help.
But if it doesn't, I'm going to start taking a post-bacc class too and work my tail off!

EDIT: Oh, and congratulations and good luck future doctor!!!
:soexcited::claps::soexcited::claps::soexcited:

They bought you a car!!!!?????? Holy F--K! Awesome! I am obviously dating the wrong person and was born into the wrong family. When I got my acceptance my boyfriend poured me a shot of vodka and my mom cried....... Still freaking cool though. DOCTOR TIME :)

You're an inspiration man, you truly are. Congratulations on all of your success, you certainly have earned it. I've been working my way back after a poor start to college and like you have a thread going following my progress. I hope in a year mine turns out like yours has. Congrats again, you're going to be a DOCTOR!

I just want to say to the above message do not get discouraged because all things are possible if you believe. Not all medical school look at test scores, and grades but the person for who they are and their passion for medicine. There are individuals in medical school right now and physicians who are not even really good practicioners. They do not really care and are just doing it because they can and have good grades and scores. What is important is your heart and also be realistic and do not apply to the Harvard's or John Hopkins but to other schools that you can obtain a good education and have a great learning experience. Lastly while you have a chance make yourself very competitive by doing other things such as volunteer work, working in a research lab, obtaining a good rapport with professors, and becoming a member of medical organizations. I apologize for the rant but I wanted to give you some encouragement as well and tell you to believe.

So I am now almost sure to attend Ohio State next year. I am on a couple waitlists but I think I'd pick OSU over them.

Thank you so much for the words of encouragement during this process. SDN has been so extremely helpful for me - I don't have any doctors in my extended family and I'm a non trad so I don't have a pre-med office. I used SDN as my pre-med adviser and dutifully followed everything SDN told me to do, step by step. It was a long process, and took many years, but you can't beat applying once and getting accepted right off the bat! I know for sure, I would, at the very least, have had to apply multiple times or settle for offshore school (if I got in at all) if it wasn't for this advice.

Thank you all :).

Congrats. Mind sharing with us in more detail, which school you applied and your status for each?

Well, I applied to 32 schools since I was really worried due to my early crap grades, so I overdid it but I figured spending a few thousand dollars now and getting in was better than spending a whole year sitting on my butt at home.

I ended up with 13 interviews out of 32 - all the schools I applied to were private schools and/or state schools that accepted a lot of OOS (> 35% of class OOS). I went to 10 interviews, and was accepted to seven and I am waitlisted at three.

Is there anything specific you wanted to know?

Thank you for everyone who posted their success story in this thread! You guys are making me feel like anything is possible. My stats are not great either:

cGPA - 3.31
sGPA - 3.0?
MCAT - not taken

But when I graduate I will average between 3.5 - 3.84 for my last 90 credits. I'm feeling forced by my family to apply next year after I graduate, but I just don't feel ready. Well to be honest my mom is afraid that when I graduate med school I will be too old to have a good marriage and have kids (I'm an asian women btw). Should I take a post back or SMP?

I also really want to live in another country teaching English for a year before I apply ( I just don't see when I will be able to do that but now when I'm still in my 20s).

I started college being forced to go into premed so I didn't have the drive to do well. But right now after shadowing doctors and having more patient contact experience I really want to be a doctor!

Wow... 300+ undergraduate credits is a lot. How in the world did that happen and how long did it take? Congratulations on all your success.

Wow... 300+ undergraduate credits is a lot. How in the world did that happen and how long did it take? Congratulations on all your success.

Switched majors in undergrad and then 60 credits/year for a couple years.

For the record my interviews were at:

Albany
Tufts
Drexel
OSU
EVMS
SUNY Upstate
SUNY Stony Brook
Temple
OSU
Albert Einstein
Vermont
TCMC
Wayne
UIL

Hopefully that helps others in my situation in terms of where to apply.

My best advice to anyone in this situation is what I've said before: you didn't get into this situation in a month and you won't get out it in a month.

Boggvir your story is inspiring and I find myself in the middle of the path you took to redemption. I hope to find the success you did and pay it back to SDN by continuing my thread much like you are doing with yours. Thanks for following up on SDN and providing all of the information you have

Also - Could you clarify if you were OOS at Wayne and UIC? If so, could you provide the initial rational you had for applying to those schools? I did a pretty extensive numbers crunch of schools to apply OOS to (i have 36 schools) and didn't happen to choose those, would be interested in your input

Boggvir your story is inspiring and I find myself in the middle of the path you took to redemption. I hope to find the success you did and pay it back to SDN by continuing my thread much like you are doing with yours. Thanks for following up on SDN and providing all of the information you have

Also - Could you clarify if you were OOS at Wayne and UIC? If so, could you provide the initial rational you had for applying to those schools? I did a pretty extensive numbers crunch of schools to apply OOS to (i have 36 schools) and didn't happen to choose those, would be interested in your input

I was OOS to both. I applied to Wayne as there is a very large OOS contigent there - hell like half the people on my interview day were from Califomia. I don't have the msar with me but the numbers should be good. Remember the class is large so even if the percentage isnt the highest, the raw number of OOS spots are quite a bit. They'd be good especially for you as from interview day it seemed they liked good grad gap (anecdotal evidence).

UIL - looking back I can't quite remember why I applied there. It was probably a long shot as OOS (I ended up canceling this interview).