2.66cGPA - 2.54sGPA - 521 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mms9

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My GPA (2.66) sucks and my MCAT (c/s 130 - CARS 131 - b/b 130 - p/s 130 - Total 521) score is great...what can I do???

I have tons of volunteer experience (Clinical + Non-clinical), 300+ hours shadowing (MD + DO), a few publications (Trauma, Immunotherapy, Public Health), and have done NK Cell Immunotherapy research for the past 18 months. Currently working as the Biology Lab Coordinator for a university and as a research for UCSF Peds Residency program. Recently, I developed 2 programs (functioning in rural High Schools) to push for underrepresented ethnic groups to enter STEM fields.

I mean really what can I do other than retake classes and continue with this EC/work?

Members don't see this ad.

You will need to explain how it is that someone who is as intelligent as you clearly are and who wants to become a physician performed so very poorly in your undergraduate classes.

"Brilliant but lazy" and "Brilliant but can't get his act together" are very real and very problematic stereotypes, so you will need to write your own narrative for why you are a good bet for medical school.

Reactions: 1 users
Nothing. You have to prove to Adcoms that you can handle a medical school curriculum, and are not merely a good test taker.
My GPA (2.66) sucks and my MCAT (c/s 130 - CARS 131 - b/b 130 - p/s 130 - Total 521) score is great...what can I do???

I mean really what can I do other than retake classes and continue with this EC/work?

Members don't see this ad :)

I have tons of volunteer experience (Clinical + Non-clinical), 300+ hours shadowing (MD + DO), a few publications (Trauma, Immunotherapy, Public Health), and have done NK Cell Immunotherapy research for the past 18 months. Currently working as the Biology Lab Coordinator for a university and as a research for UCSF Peds Residency program. Recently, I developed 2 programs (functioning in rural High Schools) to push for underrepresented ethnic groups to enter STEM fields.

I think you have to retake classes. Taking a test and doing great is amazing! But what if you studied for years before you took it? What if you can't handle quick pace classes?(I'm not saying you can't). What if you were just being super lazy? How can they know you are going to stick through med school? I mean you have to show them what you are made of! Get your grades back up, ace the classes, and apply and you will have a great chance. As of now I don't think you have a chance to get into any school. I don't know if any even take a 2.66 gpa

Take an SMP at an MD program like Drexel and kill it. Go to a solid allopathic program

Reactions: 1 users
Getting an astonishing score on the MCAT with 2.5 to 6 months of prep does not speak volumes of your academic prowess. Multiple years of upward trend in rigorous science courses will give adcoms a better picture of how you can handle medical school.

Reactions: 2 users
Retake courses for DO

Or

SMP for MD (if you can get in with a sGPA that low, I don't know about that)

Reactions: 1 user

How did you pull off being the perfect candidate, but have a terrible GPA?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You'll hit a bunch of autoscreens if you apply with your GPA like that. Do a postbac, either SMP or just retaking courses, and nail it. Then apply broadly.

I am thankful for most of the comments left on this thread. They have provided me with a means of an alternative as well as different routes to possibly follow. To be frank with all of you...I have never opened a textbook or studied a single day during undergrad.
When beginning this "journey" I did not have the intention of becoming a physician or even going the medical route. I was simply in it just to get a college degree. As such, my grades during my first 2 years of college SUCKED! I was placed on academic probation after my freshman year. My last 2 years of college do show an upward grade trend. First two years of college GPA ave = 2.0...second 2 years of college GPA = 3.0 (3.5 GPA senior year). So yes there is an upwards grade trend. I was able to get into my ECs through word of mouth and knowing the right people (kind of how my life has always been...not intentionally of course). All undergraduate level courses were taken at a 4yr institution.

Despite my pitiful GPA, I always knew I was intelligent. My research PI caught onto this early on during my time with him. He urged me to take the MCAT and said that he'd pay for it. So I figured I had nothing to lose. I set aside 3 months to do nothing but research and study for the MCAT. I was very intentional about this. My first practice exam (no studying) was a 506...put in 3 more weeks of studying...510....3 more weeks of studying 512...essentially every 3 weeks I took a practice exam and my score would just a couple points. No practice test score was as high as my actual test score (highest was 519). I did research from 8am - 3pm (roughly) and would study the rest of the day or during downtime between experiments. On average I put in 5 hours/day 6 days/week for 3 months. I followed my study schedule religiously.

I understand that my GPA and MCAT score do not match up and there is no correlation at all w/ respect to publish data. I am in this situation and literally have no idea what to do other than to take/retake undergrad courses to raise my GPA so that I can POSSIBLY have the chances of even applying to a post-bacc or SMP.

By never opening a book and not studying you've really shot yourself in the foot and delayed any possible medical career for several years while you do academic repair work. Being "really really smart" and caring about the medical profession is simply not enough.

The quickest path to academic redemption will either be to retake classes and go DO, or to undertake an SMP program and absolutely KILL it, proving that you are both academically capable and diligent. A longer but substantially less expensive route will be to keep on working and let time mellow the 'stink' off your GPA, then take a few recent classes and plead youthful idiocy that has since been cured.

Especially after reading your excuse for a poor gpa, take an SMP and put the work into it. It's worth the money in or case. You'll get into an MD program if you put the work in to get 3.5+. It being a 521 and your story about maturity will most likely lead to a top school. You are significantly higher than the gtg score for MD schools (510+). If you can do well in the SMP. Schools will take you for the MCAT score alone

So...what most of you are saying is that if I were to do some sort of SMP program AND excel in it (GPA 3.5+)...I would have a shot at being admitted to medical school. I would say that my application would be unique and have some factors that could serve as "eyebrow raising".

Grade replacement.

Either that or a special masters program.

What I'm saying is that if your MCAT was lower I would just do grade replacement and apply but with that MCAT it's too good to not take a stab at MD programs

So...what most of you are saying is that if I were to do some sort of SMP program AND excel in it (GPA 3.5+)...I would have a shot at being admitted to medical school. I would say that my application would be unique and have some factors that could serve as "eyebrow raising".
Your science GPA is massively low tho. That is a problem even with an SMP(grad). I think grade replacement would be best but again I'm not really sure what route you want to go. If you want to go DO and like the lifestyle, then grade replacement, if med school, I believe you can try SMP!

MCAT is good. GPA is a problem. Grade replacement will be your best friend, don't do the SMP unless you absolutely go MD.
Otherwise, DO will welcome you with their open hands (with grade replacement)

Status
Not open for further replies.