2.7 GPA, 19 MCAT; What are my chances at the big 4 Caribbean medical schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

edwina

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The 4 schools I am referring to is Ross, AUA, SGU and SABA. I have no volunteer experience, although I am starting this month, and no job experience in a related field. What are my chances with a 2.7 GPA, 19 MCAT?

Also, if anyone has any information on physician assistant and if it is worth it please reply too.

Thanks so much in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Near 0% chance at both in my opinion. While I do think a 2.7 can be overlooked, it would be if you had a decent MCAT. Given a 19, you're better off changing careers since the odds against you passing the USMLE are that much higher.

Yeah the Caribbean is no easy way out. You'd have to seriously pull your stuff together. I'd suggest an MCAT retake if you can....

Members don't see this ad :)
Given a 19, you're better off changing careers since the odds against you passing the USMLE are that much higher.
Take this comment seriously. There are Caribbean schools that don't require the MCAT at all, and are more than happy to take your tuition money, and then flunk you out when you can't pass the Step I after second year. Of course, you'd be deep in debt by that time, but with no possibility of getting a medical degree.

It's essential that you conquer the beast and do better on the MCAT. Read this:
Noshie’s Hope for those trying to get past an MCAT score in the teens or low 20's: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=774396

I honestly think that your best bet would be to retake the MCAT. You should even consider taking a year or two off to retake some of your classes in which you got low grades in. Then apply to DO programs. I would do this.

or

You could simply retake the MCAT and depending on how well you do (>26) your GPA may be overlooked if you can convince them that you can handle the medical curriculum....but I don't know how you would be able to do this with a 2.7 unless you retake some of your classes....bringing us back to the above option.

The 4 schools I am referring to is Ross, AUA, SGU and SABA. I have no volunteer experience, although I am starting this month, and no job experience in a related field. What are my chances with a 2.7 GPA, 19 MCAT?

Also, if anyone has any information on physician assistant and if it is worth it please reply too.

Thanks so much in advance.

I hate to say this, but honestly, I would seriously consider a different profession at this point. As was mentioned above, your 19 on the MCAT raises serious concerns about your ability to pass the USMLE steps. Additionally, your 2.7 GPA raises serious concerns about your ability to pass your classes in medical school. A Big 4 Carib school might take you (because they generally take almost anyone with a pulse and a fat enough wallet...or the ability to get loans), but unfortunately you would be likely to fail out and end up hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt with nothing to show for it.