2.7 gpa, 2.1 sgpa Should I do a Post Bacc or SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maraj34

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
NYC Resident
Major: Cell/Molecular Biology
Cumulative GPA: 2.7
Science GPA: 2.1
Have not taken MCAT yet.

EC's
Clinical Volunteer: 500+ hours
Physician Shadowing: 60+ hours (DO and MD shadowing)

Classes left to take:
Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Anatomy & Physiology, Microbiology, Organic Chemistry II, Cell Biology

I did poorly my first year of college, but I have addressed the problems I was having and now my GPA has been an upward trend. If I get A's in the rest of my science classes my science GPA would be a 2.8 and after retaking classes I got a D/C-/C (gen chem, gen bio, orgo 1) my science GPA would be a 3.06.

I am currently a Junior and would like to go to a DO school (I have zero chance at getting into an MD school) and am thinking about doing an SMP or Post Bacc. Which option do you think would be best in my situation?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I recommend you browse through my profile and check my posts. In several post, I explain how to come back from subpar GPA's/MCAT. Basically, you want to get A's from now on. Retake courses to hit a 3.25 GPA or higher. Do well on the MCAT and apply. Or do an SMP with direct linkage.

Easy to say you'll get the As. Do it first, take the MCAT, then come back to have the conversation on how to proceed.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Retake any pre-req classes lower than a C-. Then take upper levels. Ace them. Bring GPA to at least a 3.2. Then do a DO affiliated SMP.

I recommend you browse through my profile and check my posts. In several post, I explain how to come back from subpar GPA's/MCAT. Basically, you want to get A's from now on. Retake courses to hit a 3.25 GPA or higher. Do well on the MCAT and apply. Or do an SMP with direct linkage.
With the end of grade-replacement by AACOMAS, retaking classes in order to raise GPA is an exercise in futility. It would take 1000 years for OP to raise his/her GPA (especially the science GPA) to 3.2. I'm sorta in the same boat (cGPA 3.1 and sGPA 2.98 WITH grade - replacement and cGPA and sGPA of 2.7 WITHOUT grade-replacement).

With the end of grade-replacement by AACOMAS, retaking classes in order to raise GPA is an exercise in futility. It would take 1000 years for OP to raise his/her GPA (especially the science GPA) to 3.2. I'm sorta in the same boat (cGPA 3.1 and sGPA 2.98 WITH grade - replacement and cGPA and sGPA of 2.7 WITHOUT grade-replacement).

In medical school admissions, do the adcoms see your transcript? Do they explicitly see cGPA and sGPA? Any class under the prefix BIOL, CHEM, and PHYS will count towards sGPA?

Thanks

Not going to sugar coat it, you've got a LONG road ahead of you to get to a position where it's worth applying. You need to ace everything from here on out and crush your MCAT for a chance. Best of luck!

Not to be a downer..bur Id think about Pod school. Id be destroyed if i spent lots of time and money to raise my gpa up and still didnt get in. Your gpas are really low

Reactions: 1 users
NYC Resident
Major: Cell/Molecular Biology
Cumulative GPA: 2.7
Science GPA: 2.1
Have not taken MCAT yet.

EC's
Clinical Volunteer: 500+ hours
Physician Shadowing: 60+ hours (DO and MD shadowing)

Classes left to take:
Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Anatomy & Physiology, Microbiology, Organic Chemistry II, Cell Biology

I did poorly my first year of college, but I have addressed the problems I was having and now my GPA has been an upward trend. If I get A's in the rest of my science classes my science GPA would be a 2.8 and after retaking classes I got a D/C-/C (gen chem, gen bio, orgo 1) my science GPA would be a 3.06.

I am currently a Junior and would like to go to a DO school (I have zero chance at getting into an MD school) and am thinking about doing an SMP or Post Bacc. Which option do you think would be best in my situation?

Without grade replacement, your situation would be the same at both MD and DO schools. You might as well bring the GPA up to 3.0 and get a good MCAT. If no DO school takes you, then go to a MD SMP (not a DO SMP). Then apply to both MD and DO.

Reactions: 2 users
sGPA for Allo is exclusively the BCPM
sGPA for Osteo is a wide arrange of sciences without math
I wish Allo added other natural science for sGPA and Osteo added math for sGPA (lol)

Take classes to get over 3.0, then consider an SMP.