2.7 GPA - Freshman Year of Highschool

lockness

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do I have any chance at all? School's about to start up again and even if I get straight A's the next three years (which I highly doubt will happen) my GPA will only be like a 3.6. Thinking about just giving up.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Don't give up! I'm starting my senior year of high school next week (woohoo!) and I remember what it was like freshman year. I was super stressed about all of my grades, even if it was something simple like gym class. Remember that core classes count the most when colleges look at your application. They also want to see that you've taken difficult classes throughout high school. Since your GPA is higher than a 4.0, I assume that you've taken some Honors/AP/IB classes. This is good! Colleges like to see that you challenge yourself. Getting a B in an Honors/AP/IB class is worth more than getting an A in a normal class.
Maybe it has just taken you awhile to adjust to high school classes and homework? It's important to get down a solid routine and habit of studying, reviewing, and taking notes. These skills will be essential Junior year, which is when most students take their hardest set of classes (since colleges will be focused on junior year, since fresh & soph years are often focused on requirements like gym and electives). I would really try focusing on getting down a study routine, as (I assume, but I've never been there!) it would be VERY important to have when it comes to studying for the MCAT and getting into med school.
If you really feel stuck and you can't pull anything higher than C's or B-'s, then I would consider dropping one or two of your classes to an easier level. This will give you more time to study for your other classes and learn the material.
Above all, remember that high school is supposed to be fun. I've also read that you shouldn't worry too much about how you do in high school; college matters most (kind of like how the ACT/SAT doesn't predict college success). I think one of the biggest mistakes I made as an underclassmen was working hard and studying when I just didn't have to. It's not all about the grades! Extracurriculars, having a job, and other commitments are important too and colleges will also be looking at that.
Sorry, this is kind of a meandering answer, but I hope you found some advice and comfort in it.

Thanks for the reply. Hate to say it but I mistyped- my GPA is only 2.7 and if I get all A's the rest of HS my GPA senior year will only be like a 3.6 at best. I'm in all college prep class except for honors biology. I'm honestly upset that it's not AP biology. That's what I see everyone else here talking about but I can't do it. I got A's in science last year but last year I was in college prep science (I messed up in middle school) so they didn't let me take AP. Italian is my hardest subject. If it wasn't for Italian, I'm sure I'd have at least a 3.0. I'm only taking a language because I guess it is strongly encouraged for colleges. Thanks for the reply.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't want to say your grades don't matter...but they really don't. What you need to accomplish in high school is to learn how to study effectively and to learn time management. Learning those 2 things are much more important to being successful in college (and after) than your actual grades are.

Main goals for high school....have a fun time, don't get in trouble, learn how to study, learn how to manage your time.

I don't want to say your grades don't matter...but they really don't. What you need to accomplish in high school is to learn how to study effectively and to learn time management. Learning those 2 things are much more important to being successful in college (and after) than your actual grades are.

Main goals for high school....have a fun time, don't get in trouble, learn how to study, learn how to manage your time.
I agree. In high school, gpa only matters in the sense it gets you into college. Now if that was your gpa for college then that’s a completely different story. Be sure you do well in college.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree. In high school, gpa only matters in the sense it gets you into college. Now if that was your gpa for college then that’s a completely different story. Be sure you do well in college.

This. Your high school GPA needs to be good enough to get you into a 'good or better' college. By 'good' I mean 'University of State' and not necessarily the flagship campus. Well, even if you can't get into a 'good' college, if you start over at a community college then transfer in later, that will work too.

But your college grades need to be excellent. Most important -- Don't stress yourself so much during high school that you have nothing left for college and burn out long before the high stakes even hit.

Build good study habits now. Challenge yourself. Grow and learn and have fun --

Reactions: 1 user
Do I have any chance at all?
Do you actually find it helpful to ask this here every few months? By this point I'd assume you know the answer, so I'm not sure it's healthy to constantly come here to seek this reassurance. So I wonder if you're finding this good for you somehow.

Do I have any chance at all? School's about to start up again and even if I get straight A's the next three years (which I highly doubt will happen) my GPA will only be like a 3.6. Thinking about just giving up.

You have plenty of time to make up for it especially since your GPA is still relatively fresh, so by making more As early on, it will dramatically shift your GPA scale. However, it will also be a long-term type of change and you will have to be consistent with grades above the 3.2 + range to keep raising your overall GPA. I wish you luck with everything and keep pushing forward!