2.7 GPA... What to do???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mightymouse23

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Sad to say, my GPA is about 2.7, mostly because of all the probs that I had during my undergraduate days (deaths in family, and raising my brother). My Graduate GPA though is 3.6, but its in an area of business.

I was wondering what options do I have, or what can I do to better my increase my chances of getting into a dental school. I applied this year really late (like Feb) and got rejected from all of them (NYU too). My DAT is a 17, which I am retaking and should get around a 20-21 (according to the practice exams). Any particular area of the DAT schools look at?

I also have LOTS of experience in dentistry- helped all my dads friends in practically all the procedures that they did..

Any advice...

Thanks,
The Bummed Out Dude....

Members don't see this ad.

You definitely need to enroll in a post-bac or Masters program. I would advise entering a post-bac because you can raise your undergrad GPA that way. Your MBA will do nothing to help your situation. Dental schools want to see that you can handle a upper level science course load which your MBA obviously doesn't include. The ideal situation would be a 2 year program but you can probably get by with a year of complete courses (2 semester or 3 quarters).

The other thing you need to do is score well on the DAT and by well I mean at least 20 on the AA and a 18 minimum on the PCAT. Finally, apply early when you get the chance. Don't apply later than July to be competitive.

Lots of people have gotten in through this method. Find the thread with the 3.0 and under club. That will tell you a lot.

Sorry to hear that you didn't get in this year. However, you can improve your GPA by retaking some of the pre-requisites or take advance courses in those pre-requisite areas and try to attain about A- to B+ average. If you do this, as well as improving your DAT, and also your situation, I am sure if you apply as early as possible to many different dental schools, you should be able to get in somewhere.

Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you guys think of doing a master in the sciences(probably biology related)? I know that this was asked before but I want to see what you guys think of it.

NYU has changed...they are looking for 20's if you have below a 3.0.

This upcoming cycle at NYU will be slightly harder than this one. Change is in the air here and slowly but surely it is coming along. The dean is really cleaning this place up in an effort to get rid of the schools past reputation...so far it seems to be working.

Do not feel all hope is lost bec you were rejected from NYU...remember they only accept around 30% of all the applicants so there are many rejection letters out there from here

mightymouse23,

Although GPA of 3.6 in MBA program shows your improvement, you really need to show adcoms that you can hack all upper-div science classes. Take some upperdivision science classes, and do well on them to raise your GPA to at least above 3.0. Also, make sure to study hard for DAT and score above 20s. Most importantly, apply early.

Is there any reason why you did not perform the best during undergrad? i.e. bad freshman year, family problem, financial problem, or even competition in particular major/school? In your personal statement, you can definitely mention any circumstance which caused your poor performance during undergrad.

Good luck,

Dentalist

Thanks for the help guys,

I am really thinking about the post bac program, but the problem with me is that I am working full time. What one year post bacs are out there for pre-dentals? The one at NOVA, requires the MCAT, which is a nightmare in its own.

Dentalist- I had lots of problems in undergrad from death of family members and raising my little bro on my own, to being in a car accident that resulted in injuries.

honestpredent said:
Don't apply later than July to be competitive.

July? How crucial is applying early in general? I have above a 3.00 and was planning on september, but is this lowering competitiveness that much??

BiOGoly said:
July? How crucial is applying early in general? I have above a 3.00 and was planning on september, but is this lowering competitiveness that much??
I respectfully disagree with honestpredent. Yes, applying early is certainly to your advantage if your grades aren't spectacular, but the application process is no different than any other important task--it's far more important to do the job right than it is to do it quickly. If you can put a glowing application together by July 1, then by all means do it, and good luck to you. If, however, you need more time to assemble a good packet, you're much more likely to get in by sending a solid application at Labor Day than by sending a shoddy one on Independence Day.

Good luck to you!

You need to do the following to strengthen your future applications:

1) retake any required admission courses that you recieved a C or lower:
- chemistry
- biology
- biochemistry
- organic chemistry
- calculus

2) take more upper division science courses:
- Microbiology
- Physiology
- Histology
- Immunology
- Cell Biology
- Genetics
- Pathology
- Anatomy
- Neuroanatomy/Neurophysiology/Neurobiology

3) retake the DAT (MUST earn 18s or higher ALL SECTIONS)
- schools tend to look more heavily on the overall science, academic average, and reading comprehension sections

4) apply for entering class of 2006 (Class of 2010) in May-June-July 2005, if you apply for entering class of 2005 (Class of 2009) in May-June-July 2004, I don't believe you'll have enough credentials to improve your application! Take one year of science courses to improve your chances.

You need more science background, your graduate degree in business looks fine, but won't play much role in persuading the admissions office with the stiff competition in dental school admissions' game.

Andy
Under 3.0 Club
CEO/Founder

Thanks Andy,

I have already taken MicroBiology and Immunology, since I was a Micro major. I am wondering if it would be more advantagous to just do a Post Bac, since it encompasses alot of the upper science courses you mention. How hard is it to get into those? I was particularly thinking about the one in Nova, since I am local Miami resident.

What about taking classes to boost GPA?

As far as the DAT goes, I should do alot better- the first time i took it the center didnt have airconditioning and in miami, you can imagine how it was. I have been practicing and getting scores in the 20's AA

Is there a link to all the post bacc programs for pre-dental? Thanks guys for the help

Also,

Should i even think about classes if i score really high on the DAT? Around 22+AA with a 2.75 and lots of dental experience...

mightymouse23 said:
Thanks for the help guys,

I am really thinking about the post bac program, but the problem with me is that I am working full time. What one year post bacs are out there for pre-dentals? The one at NOVA, requires the MCAT, which is a nightmare in its own.

Dentalist- I had lots of problems in undergrad from death of family members and raising my little bro on my own, to being in a car accident that resulted in injuries.
I'm sorry to hear what happended...

I was a postbac myself. I had a degree in business and went back to school (after 2.5 years) to take pre requisites for dental school. I was enrolled as a non-degree student. I took only the 8 science courses that were required. I was also working full-time while taking those classes.

Everything turned out to be fine now and I'm waiting to start at Columbia this August. Stay put and keep trying. If I can do it, you can, too. :)

Day Two of being bummed... this really sux!!!

Can anyone recommend a list of post bacs out there for pre-dents. The ones that I am seeing require the MCAT, which makes me believe that they are feeder programs for MD/DO programs. Thanks for the help peeps..

Sag

Check out the post bacc forum man, do a search for this topic...you will find ample good advice. There really aren't any postbacc's out there specifically for dental students, but many will accept tests other than the MCAT. Intense programs like BU and Georgetown will even accept the GRE.

mightymouse23 said:
Day Two of being bummed... this really sux!!!

Can anyone recommend a list of post bacs out there for pre-dents. The ones that I am seeing require the MCAT, which makes me believe that they are feeder programs for MD/DO programs. Thanks for the help peeps..

Sag

most post bacs do feed into med schools, but if you contact the directors of the programs and ask so they consider your DAT's instead of MCAT or DAT, they might consider your request. I know the Masters program at BU does that.

Comet