2.7 undergrad gpa, 34 mcat, 4.0 SMP gpa. What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hambulance

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my situation is that I messed up in undergrad and now have a 2.7 cumulative gpa. (This is including a year of post bacc courses) I am now finishing a one year SMP having taken a med school course (and a lot of other graduate level courses) with a 4.0 and excellent LORs. My mcat is a 34 and I have tons of research and some volunteering at a hospital. What are my chances? Do I even have a chance at MD schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Even with post-bac you got a 2.7? I believe most schools have a cutoff of 2.75, I am not positive though. Congrats on the MCAT...I wish I could get a score like that. Anyway, as for your chances to MD school, I think they are really slim....your undergrad GPA kinda sunk you. DO maybe your best route, as they are more forgiving and will look at your SMP and MCAT.

Its just my opinion, just being honest from what I have read and heard. Best of luck to you!

If you got a 4.0 in your SMP you should have an excellent shot at getting in the school you completed your program at.

Your undergrad is pretty low, even for most SMP graduates, so it is tough to say. I wish you the best of luck though :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for all the replies. It really doesn't make sense to go and take more undergrad classes now to boost my gpa up to a 3.0 does it? The dean of admissions at my school is strongly against this. I guess I just have to hope and see.

Don't take more classes in undergrad.

Be prepared to offer a mature explanation of why your undergrad grades were low at your interviews. (Were most of the bad grades your first year?)

With a 4.0 SMP and a 34MCAT I think you have an excellent chance at getting an MD spot.

Just make sure your community service, and clinical experience is irresistible.

PS. Do NOT try to explain your poor Undergrad GPA in your personal statement!

Disinence2
PS. Do NOT try to explain your poor Undergrad GPA in your personal statement!
I thought u suppose to explain your poor grade in the personal statement? That's what some of my friends had advised me.

This is debatable.

I'll just say that the way some schools work, the people evaluating your personal statement/activities are separate from the ones who look at your GPA/MCAT. So by saying you have a low GPA in your personal statement, your kinda showing your weakness to both sides. Plus I think its best to really show your Strengths in the PS and not highly any weaknesses.

Some schools secondaries have a "Notes to committee" or sections about "difficulties" these would be better places to address your weaknesses. (In My Opinion)

Hope this helps!

Feel free to PM me for questions.

I've actually have a personal statement that I'm in the process of editing. I don't directly state what caused my bad grades and I'm trying to keep the entire PS positive sounding. I want adcoms to realize why I'm choosing this profession and why I feel I would make a great doctor. If they like what they read, they can hopefully interview me and ask me about my grades.

Thanks Disinence. I really needed to hear at least one person saying there was a chance. =)

Hey guys,
I also did horribly in ug and pulled my gpa up to 3.2 overall, 3.1 sci with a postbac. I then did an smp (3.9) but during the summer, while taking grad classes, I also took some ug ones. Is that frowned upon as someone mentionef above? I had no idea, I just took some extra bc I figured I had extra time, might as well try to boost my ug gpa since I wouldnt have to pay additional tuition.