Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

2.7 Undergrad(non science) still hope?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by mli84, Mar 15, 2007.

1. mli84

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Hey guys, i'm a graduating senior with a low overall gpa of 2.7 and a BS in cognitive science. Literally non of my undergrad coursework has anything to do with the pre-req's. I intend to do all my Pharm school pre-req's at community colleges. Basically i plan on investing about 2 years in these classes on top of volunteer and work based on pharm.

My question is; even if i get the 3.5+ (what i'm striving for) in my science/pre-req courses and a reasonably high PCAT score, will my low cumm gpa exclude me from the top pharm schools? This is a large investment of my time and i want to know if it's worth it to take the plunge.

Thanks for your help!

2. anh80

anh80 Going through PharmD
    10+ Year Member

#2 anh80, Mar 15, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  3. ADN1226

ADN1226 Class of 2012!
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Just read these posts and you'll see some exceptions:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=366126

Since you're doing all the pre-reqs, show them you can handle the science classes and do well... 3.5-4.0 and you'll be fine. Many students have gotten in with those gpas from a community college and they only took 2-3yrs to do all the pre-reqs! In the end, your high pre-req gpa will most likely offset the low undergrad, don't loose hope! But also make yourself a well rounded candidate during these next 2yrs.

4. Shadowstar

Shadowstar Introvert
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Rock the PCAT and get all A's in your prereq's if you want a chance. Keep in mind your prereqs are at a community college - the good part is that they won't be as difficult as university prereqs but the bad part is that they won't be up to par with a student who has your same stats but have taken prereq's at a university...the admissions commity pays attention to practically everything.

5. rxcrystal

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    You'll be fine. Most schools will only focus on the pre-reqs anyway. Just make sure you apply to multiple schools though anyway. Good luck.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. eddie269

eddie269 Still in shock...
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I rarely make guarantees but I will make one now.

Get ALL A's in your pre-req's at JC's (yes, a 4.0 for pre-req's at a CC is actually not that hard), get a decent PCAT score (75 and up), get some pharmacy experience, and apply early..YOU WILL GET IN!

That is all for now. Check out the thread in my sig also.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. rx27563

rx27563 Hopefully 08'
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    ok i have another question...i am currently at a university and my freshmen grades werent good..... i made C's. im retaking the general chem's this summer and im applying in the fall... my question is that if i dont get in would retaking all my pre-reqs at a community do me any favors? i feel like my instit.gpa is going nowhere no matter what i do ill still have about a 3.0.

8. Farmercyst

Farmercyst From the shadows
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    You didn't mention which year you're in now. How many units do you have? I've got 230+. If I were to replace all my C's,D's (3 C's, 1D) and get A's it's not going to budge my GPA that much, the denominator is just too big.

9. steveysmith54

steveysmith54 Member
    10+ Year Member

Thats just not true. some ccc's science classes are as hard as some univ b/c they are taught by profs who teach as univ.

10. cystapharm

5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    im so annoyed by people who say that cc courses are easy like cake.......they ARE NoT! like stevey said, some professors who teach at university also teach at a CC. Also, universities have like some grad students who are easy? Please don't give CC a bad reputation.......their small class sizes provide a great learning environment to work closer with professors. Universities have large class sizes and people cheat all the time without professors knowing....I have seen it.

11. Well, as a career changer, I took most of science classes at 3 different CCs due to the enrollment problem. It was very difficult to get in a class without petitioning. Anyways, I have a BS from Universitiy so here is what I think about CC VS University...

It is true that some classes in CC are as competitive and difficult as classes in Universitiy. However in general, I think it is much easier to get an A in CC. The time and effort that I needed to put in to get a B from University was more than enough for me to get an A from 3 CCs while taking 30+ science classes.

12. PossiblyCrazy

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I have a BS from a university and needed to take pre-req courses for PharmD school. I took one of the courses at cc and thought it had the same difficulty as all the other courses I needed to take at the university. I really think that most cc's have courses with the same difficulty as the the 100 and 200 level courses at universities.

With that said, I do know that many PharmD schools will see your GPA of 2.7 at university, then your 3.5 or up at CC and wonder and question you.

I say, why give them the option. Take your pre-reqs at a university close to home, get great grades and at least you have the grades from a university and your overall GPA will go up with all courses from a university rather than part cc.

13. Idesiretosling

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Yes, some CC courses are just as hard as university courses but there is a reason some schools require university credits for certain courses.

14. steveysmith54

steveysmith54 Member
    10+ Year Member

Really, which schools are those? I have read that some say they prefer to have courses taken at Univ level, but these schools still accepted plenty of cc'ers even w/ mediocore science GPA to boot. Many prepharmers are not typical students, meaning they are in the middle of a career change, which is why the average age is usually around 24. And these kinds of students will chose CC for many reasons.

15. bananaface

bananaface Pharmacy Supernerd
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Oregon State University is one. They require certain science classes be taken at a 4 year school.