Dec 27, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
I am a first year Penn State student. I took 13 credit this year. I got a 2.72 GPA. This is mainly caused by a D in general chemistry. I had A and B for all my other classes.
I know this GPA is really terrible for medical school. I could have done a lot better, but I didn't spend enough time on school work. I had made a list of mistakes I made this semester, and I am looking forward to a better GPA next year.
I just want to know how much would this hurt my admission chance to a medical school? Thank you.

Aerus

Elemental Alchemist
7+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2012
Status
Medical Student
If you're new to SDN, you should search old topics first before making a new thread.

Upward trends are good. If you can improve on this, you still have a chance. You will have to retake this D because many schools require a C or higher in the prereqs.

OP
J
Dec 27, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
If you're new to SDN, you should search old topics first before making a new thread.

Upward trends are good. If you can improve on this, you still have a chance. You will have to retake this D because many schools require a C or higher in the prereqs.

Thank you so much. I understand I have to retake. However, my transcript would have both grades on there according to my school policy. So this would affect my GPA greatly. I did a bit calculation. I would have to maintain almost straight A to get a 3.8 GPA average.
Is that possible with hard work? I know science is defiantly not my best area, but I slacked off this semester. However, I heard a perfect 4.0 is quiet impossible. So do I still have any chance to make it to medical school?

Aerus

Elemental Alchemist
7+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2012
Status
Medical Student
It's very possible. Understand what you didn't do correctly this quarter and change your habits. Don't take too many extracurriculars and ease up on the course load and allow for a smooth transition.

If you browse around SDN, you'll find many crazy success stories, like people with sub par 2.0's to many semesters straight of 4.0's. And, I can say through experience, that you hype up the difficulty of getting a 4.0 a lot. A 4.0 is very doable. Confidence is just as useful as caution.