2.8(1st degree) 3.6 (second degree) 4.0 (masters)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ashlee24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Black female
first undergrad degree in Biology 2.8
Second degree in Neuroscience and Behavior 3.6
Masters in Biomedical sciences 4.0 (21 credits/30 taken so far)

>100 shadowing hours
I work at an emergency clinic while doing my masters (it's been 3 years)
Medical Missions trip
Medical ministry at church
Community service fraternity and clubs
Volunteering at a kids science museum where I live
mentor
elementary school volunteering

I have letters ranging from the dean of the Neuroscience to one of the cardiologist working at the med school where I got my masters (these are teachers in my masters program)

The only thing against me is my crappy mcat score. What are my chances with my stats plus this messed up score?
I feel like Im throwing myself to the wolves. (I know I made another thread. I'm trying to get that one deleted)

Members don't see this ad.

Black female
first undergrad degree in Biology 2.8
Second degree in Neuroscience and Behavior 3.6
Masters in Biomedical sciences 4.0 (21 credits/30 taken so far)

>100 shadowing hours
I work at an emergency clinic while doing my masters (it's been 3 years)
Medical Missions trip
Medical ministry at church
Community service fraternity and clubs
Volunteering at a kids science museum where I live
mentor
elementary school volunteering

I have letters ranging from the dean of the Neuroscience to one of the cardiologist working at the med school where I got my masters (these are teachers in my masters program)

The only thing against me is my crappy mcat score. What are my chances with my stats plus this messed up score?
I feel like Im throwing myself to the wolves.
What is your "crappy MCAT score"? I don't see it mentioned.

What is your overall undergrad GPA, including college, the additional undergrad degree, and any other postbac undergrad work you took? If you're not sure, I'll post an AMCAS GPA calculator for you to use.

My undergraduate gpa is a nightmare but my graduate gpa is a 4.0 (so far I've taken 21 out of the 30 credits). Im in a biomedical sciences program so I got to choose which classes would benefit me in medical school. how do MD and DO schools take this into consideration?
I thought I'd answer this other-thread question here to keep it all together.

An upward grade trend is always noticed. AMCAS schools judge one primarily by undergrad coursework, but there are exceptions to this general rule, namely GPA-boosting programs like Special Masters Programs (where one competes with current medical students) and known Bio-Medical Masters programs, and some med schools that do consider science grad work as part of their file assessment. AMCAS lists undergrad classes with their cGPA and sGPA separately and never merge them. AACOMAS (DO) schools do list them separately, but then merge them on the final line. Some more-selective DO schools still judge one primarily by undergrad GPA though.

For DO purposes if we hypothetically average out your two degree GPA's to a 3.2 and assume your sGPA is somewhat higher since your first 2.8 degree probably didn't have much science, we probably come out to something like 3.25/3.35. That combined with URM status and a 500+ MCAT score will put you in a rather solid position.

For MD purposes, the discussion honestly isn't that much different. A URM 3.25/3.35 with a 500+ MCAT score definitely has a shot at being competitive at HBMC's and their state programs. The higher the MCAT, the better off you are. You really will start to open up more doors for yourself in terms of other lower tier options with a 504-505+ type showing on the MCAT.

So in short, I don't think your GPA really is a big issue here. URMs with your GPA and a sufficient MCAT score have definitely had success in the past with a sufficient MCAT score for both DO and MD purposes. Your MCAT is what will decide your fate. If it really is that weak, then a re-take is in order.