2.8 CUM GPA 3.5 BCPM after 48hrs of college

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pgd100020

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last summer It kinda hit me... I want to be a Doc. After playing 1 yr. of division 1 golf my grades reflected and I ended up with a 2.5 with no bcpm classes(24hrs of classes). The last 3 semesters I have really stepped up my grades mostly A's and a few B's. I have just finished all my non bcpm pre reqs and have only taken 12 hrs of bio and chem combined. Im wondering if I will beable to pull my cum GPA up within my remaining years of undergrad and if it is worth pursuing. My main motivation is reading about an upward trends in grades playing a large part in application evaluations. I beleive if my bcpm gpa is really strong I would have a shot. I calculated it out and would realisticly only beable to raise my cum gpa to about a 3.5. Any suggestions??

Members don't see this ad.

Last summer It kinda hit me... I want to be a Doc. After playing 1 yr. of division 1 golf my grades reflected and I ended up with a 2.5 with no bcpm classes(24hrs of classes). The last 3 semesters I have really stepped up my grades mostly A's and a few B's. I have just finished all my non bcpm pre reqs and have only taken 12 hrs of bio and chem combined. Im wondering if I will beable to pull my cum GPA up within my remaining years of undergrad and if it is worth pursuing. My main motivation is reading about an upward trends in grades playing a large part in application evaluations. I beleive if my bcpm gpa is really strong I would have a shot. I calculated it out and would realisticly only beable to raise my cum gpa to about a 3.5. Any suggestions??

Sometimes there is nothing more you can do but your best. Be realistic, if you calculated a 3.5 by the time you are done, do you truly think you can pull the grades needed to get there? Just do the best you can, make sure you get as high above a 3.0 as you can and make a backup plan (like applying to an SMP, something that will help you in getting in). I used to try and calculate out my projected grades each semester using an excel program, but I wanted and needed to make straight A's and I really couldn’t due to working full time. It was a disappointment. I think you will have a shot for sure with a great MCAT, but without that score I can’t tell you for sure what I think.

If you even have a doubt about pursuing medicine then you are not ready for the rigorous attitude that it takes to get into med school. This is a big goal, you should be saying to yourself "I will get into med school and I am going to do what it takes to get there." Most people, my father included, think that I am crazy for not thinking about a different career path just in case I don’t get in. But honestly, I am passionate about medicine, and if I did anything else I would not be happy. It’s like telling an artist not to paint and to go be a salesman or something…

You still have a long time it seems to get this done. Make a plan and stick to it. You not only need good grades to get into med school, but you need good EC’s too. Focus on this also to make your application strong. With the right EC’s you can slightly overcome a lower undergrad GPA. Good Luck!

With a cGPA of 3.5, stronger BCPM, and upward trend, with a decent MCAT score you'd be fine numbers-wise. You might want to get some clinical experience started (since longevity is desirable) so you can test your tolerance of medical environments by working with sick people. Physician shadowing is another EC to get in eventually. Consider if you plan to do research, obtain a leadership position, find a teaching/tutoring/TA position: all will strengthen your application. Nonmedical community service is also viewed favorably by adcomms.

Thanks for the info guys. I actually have already worked in an er and am set up for more clinical experience this summer