2.8 GPA, 33 MCAT. Chances at DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rodmichael82

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi my good friend (Asian) graduated from a well known undergrad school (UVA) as a Biology major. He had a pretty good freshman and sophomore year but his grades tanked junior and senior year due to family issues.
Right now he's standing at a 3.0 cGPA, 3.0sGPA NOT 2.8 GPA, with a 33 MCAT (11 PS, 10 VR, 12 BS). He has 1 year experience shadowing a DO physician (4-5 hours a week). Does he have a shot with a downward trend?

His freshman GPA > 3.8 and sophomore GPA >3.0 Junior and senior GPA is < 3.0

Does he have a shot without SMP or post-bacc

I don't know much about DO schools but does he have a shot and what can he do to remediate the situation?

***I would prefer medical students or individuals in the same situation with success to post replies***

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
your "friend" should apply to all the ones without the 3.0 cutoffs. For example, Touro-NY, ACOM, PNWU, AZCOM, SOMA, KCOM, PCOM's, LECOM's, LMU, WVSOM, and UNE. With all the new schools that have opened, Im sure a spot is waiting for him.

your "friend" should apply to all the ones without the 3.0 cutoffs. For example, Touro-NY, ACOM, PNWU, AZCOM, SOMA, KCOM, PCOM's, LECOM's, LMU, WVSOM, and UNE. With all the new schools that have opened, Im sure a spot is waiting for him.

This is interesting I thought all of the schools had a cut off of 3.0?

Members don't see this ad :)
Your firend might have some luck with the newest DO programs, but those GPAs are well below avg. He's also misinformed about SMPs...most of them like people who are <3.0. he needs to conduct better research. Going CC is fine for the re-takes, especially if he can do as amny of them as possible in the shortest amount of time.

Hi my good friend (Asian) graduated from a well known undergrad school (UVA) as a Biology major. He had a pretty good freshman and sophomore year but his grades tanked junior and senior year due to family issues. Right now he's standing at a 2.8 cGPA, 2.8 sGPA with a 33 MCAT (11 PS, 10 VR, 12 BS). He has 1 year experience shadowing a DO physician (4-5 hours a week). Does he have a shot with a downward trend?

My advice to him was to enroll in a local community college and retake some classes just to get the DO GPA above a 3.0 since the local university will not accept him. However, I'm concerned that it will look bad to go to a community college after academically failing in undergrad.

He does not have the time and energy to do a SMP program and most have a 3.0 cut-off . He has completely finished his pre-reqs mostly with Cs.

I don't know much about DO schools but does he have a shot and what can he do to remediate the situation?

***I would prefer medical students or individuals in the same situation with success to post replies***

He actually added his entire GPA up it's 3.04 exact

Just tell your friend to do retakes at the CC if necessary. Getting over the 3.0 science GPA hurdle will open so many more doors than just hoping the 2.8 will cut it. Honestly, he's proven he has the capacity to think rationally and study science with that MCAT, but that doesn't change the fact that most schools have cut-offs and/or don't want to have their GPA averages plummet.