• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Site Updates Coming Soon

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

2.8 Undergrad, 4.0 SMP, 28Q.... ehhhhhhhhhh.

determined1985

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2007
  1. Pre-Medical
So I am in the middle of submitting secondaries (hopefully this is still considered early)... and I am extremely anxious, so I was just wondering if you think I have a shot at a US MD school...

Residency: Illinois

MCAT: 28Q
Undergrad: 2.8 GPA Bio Major, Chem Minor
Masters: 4.0 GPA Masters in Medical Sciences, Summa Cum Laude, Dean's List all three semesters

LOR's:
4 strong letters (2 Ph.D's and 2 M.D.s)
1 okay letter (my non-science lor)

Activities:
President- chartered pre-health volunteering chapter, president for 2 yrs

Medical Mission Coordinator- helped send over 75 students abroad on medical missions trips

Medical Mission Volunteer- volunteered in Costa Rica

University of XXX 2007-2008 Outstanding Student Service Award- individual recognition for my community service during my jr/ sr year of college (I was one of three students to receive the award out of the 30,000+ students on the whole campus)

University of XXX 2006-2007 Outstanding Student Organization Service Award- recognition to the club I was president of for our community service (one of three organizations to receive the award out of the 1,000+ clubs on the whole campus)

Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Aide- Fulltime for 8 weeks, TONS of patient contact, I was designated my own patients who I was given a list of exercises/ therapy to complete with (worked on longterm basis with patients)

Here is my list:

George Washington
Drexel
New York Medical College
MCOWisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
UIllinois
Tulane
Loyola
Albany Medical College
Michigan State
Rush
Thomas Jefferson
Toledo-Ohio
Loma Linda
Creighton
ULouisville
Temple
Umiami-FL
Indiana
Boston
Georgetown

Your opinions would be much appreciated!!! Thank you everyone!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

camaras2480

Wrapping things up
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2007
  1. Pre-Medical
Here is my list:

George Washington
Drexel
New York Medical College
MCOWisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
UIllinois
Tulane
Loyola
Albany Medical College
Michigan State
Rush
Thomas Jefferson
Toledo-Ohio
Loma Linda
Creighton
ULouisville
Temple
Umiami-FL
Indiana
Boston
Georgetown

This is tough. That SMP is stellar of course, but I'm not sure it will compensate for a 2.8, at least not at very many places. I have bolded the schools where I think you have no shot (Indiana because of residency issues).

At the rest, you have some shot, but not great. If possible, I would take courses this entire upcoming year to pull that 2.8 to at least a 2.9, if not 3.0. There are several schools that throw out an app with an undergrad GPA of sub 3.0, regardless of graduate work (SMP included).

The best would have been Mississippi - how long do you have to be there to meet residency requirements? I'd look into it as deeply as possible, because many resident-restricted state school makes 1-2 exceptions every year.

Upvote 0
About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.