2.8 Undergrad, 4.0 SMP, 28Q.... ehhhhhhhhhh.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

determined1985

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am in the middle of submitting secondaries (hopefully this is still considered early)... and I am extremely anxious, so I was just wondering if you think I have a shot at a US MD school...

Residency: Illinois

MCAT: 28Q
Undergrad: 2.8 GPA Bio Major, Chem Minor
Masters: 4.0 GPA Masters in Medical Sciences, Summa Cum Laude, Dean's List all three semesters

LOR's:
4 strong letters (2 Ph.D's and 2 M.D.s)
1 okay letter (my non-science lor)

Activities:
President- chartered pre-health volunteering chapter, president for 2 yrs

Medical Mission Coordinator- helped send over 75 students abroad on medical missions trips

Medical Mission Volunteer- volunteered in Costa Rica

University of XXX 2007-2008 Outstanding Student Service Award- individual recognition for my community service during my jr/ sr year of college (I was one of three students to receive the award out of the 30,000+ students on the whole campus)

University of XXX 2006-2007 Outstanding Student Organization Service Award- recognition to the club I was president of for our community service (one of three organizations to receive the award out of the 1,000+ clubs on the whole campus)

Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Aide- Fulltime for 8 weeks, TONS of patient contact, I was designated my own patients who I was given a list of exercises/ therapy to complete with (worked on longterm basis with patients)

Here is my list:

George Washington
Drexel
New York Medical College
MCOWisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
UIllinois
Tulane
Loyola
Albany Medical College
Michigan State
Rush
Thomas Jefferson
Toledo-Ohio
Loma Linda
Creighton
ULouisville
Temple
Umiami-FL
Indiana
Boston
Georgetown

Your opinions would be much appreciated!!! Thank you everyone!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Here is my list:

George Washington
Drexel
New York Medical College
MCOWisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
UIllinois
Tulane
Loyola
Albany Medical College
Michigan State
Rush
Thomas Jefferson
Toledo-Ohio
Loma Linda
Creighton
ULouisville
Temple
Umiami-FL
Indiana
Boston
Georgetown

This is tough. That SMP is stellar of course, but I'm not sure it will compensate for a 2.8, at least not at very many places. I have bolded the schools where I think you have no shot (Indiana because of residency issues).

At the rest, you have some shot, but not great. If possible, I would take courses this entire upcoming year to pull that 2.8 to at least a 2.9, if not 3.0. There are several schools that throw out an app with an undergrad GPA of sub 3.0, regardless of graduate work (SMP included).

The best would have been Mississippi - how long do you have to be there to meet residency requirements? I'd look into it as deeply as possible, because many resident-restricted state school makes 1-2 exceptions every year.