2.9 bcpm 3.6 cumgpa 30+ mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arminx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Im a new member..just wanted some insight into my situation.

I took bio and chem first year of undergrad and did poorly due to 3 family members passing away in Iran...I actually had to forego my final for chem 2, and ended the first year with a 1.65 bcpm.

I had a total 2.9 bcpm in undergrad and 3.6 cum gpa due to a strong bounceback..where i retook chem 2 with an A and got slightly over a 3.8 bcpm in the last 3 years. Took the mcat and received a 29, so i decided to do upenn post bac where i have about a 3.5. I am taking the mcat and am very confident with somwhere between 31-34.

Basically, am asking that due to my very nice upward trend a nice mcat can this outweight my still lackluster total bcpm bc of this horrible freshman year i had?

thanks ahead of time

Members don't see this ad.

also wanted to add that jefferson is my first choice, where my brother went and after went to columbia peds...i think this helps a little but prob not a lot

:(

Your low BCPM is going to hold you back. I'd say that it might be good to try to raise your science gpa to make yourself more competitive. If you however get a good mcat, lets say 32+ it'll probably show your BCPM as a fluck.

Members don't see this ad :)
just wanted to add that after frosh year my bcpm was 3.82

due to
A in both orgos and both orgo labs
A in both physics and both physics labs
A in chem 2 retake
A in genetics
B+ in stat

some other grades in there but mostly A and some B's that allowed for my rise in bcpm and cum gpa

The AMCAS application would calculate your college grades together with the postbac grades to create your cumulative undergrad GPA. What will it be with all of this year's (projected) grades included?

Many schools use automatic cutoffs to sort out the huge pile of applications they get. If an adcomm appreciated your entire application and saw your amazing upward grade trend, there's no question that you'd get consideration. Unfortunately, that doesn't always happen. You'll need to apply very broadly in hopes of hitting some schools that "Look at the whole application". I'd add some DO schools into the mix too, as they only include the most recent retake of a class, so your AACOMAS GPA would be much higher than your AMCAS GPA. Some MD schools give less weight to the freshman year grades as a routine. Seek them out (Wayne, for one, I believe).

well...my bcpm i think only comes up a bit bc i got a 3.5 but with only 4.5 cu's bc i was also working at upenn infectious disease department and studying for mcats along with shadowing a doctor in the er...

my other ecs are as follows

red cross disaster volunteer since 2006
shadowed 3 physicians, one near home, one at columbia peds, one at cooper er
community service at soup kitchen 2 years during college
4 years volunteer work at local hospital from hs through early college

these are the most notable...even though my bcpm is 2.9 or bit over after frosh year it essentially is 3.8, and almost same for cgpa in last 3 years

just hoping for a shot from instate nj schools and jefferson (bc of brother recently went there for medical school and father is affiliated with them)

ahhhh the nervesss

well...my bcpm i think only comes up a bit bc i got a 3.5 but with only 4.5 cu's bc i was also working at upenn infectious disease department and studying for mcats along with shadowing a doctor in the er...

my other ecs are as follows

red cross disaster volunteer since 2006
shadowed 3 physicians, one near home, one at columbia peds, one at cooper er
community service at soup kitchen 2 years during college
4 years volunteer work at local hospital from hs through early college

these are the most notable...even though my bcpm is 2.9 or bit over after frosh year it essentially is 3.8, and almost same for cgpa in last 3 years

just hoping for a shot from instate nj schools and jefferson (bc of brother recently went there for medical school and father is affiliated with them)

ahhhh the nervesss
you may not be able to guarantee NJ or Jefferson, but then again, who can?

you'll be fine if you apply VERY broadly and score 30+
highlight your ecs ALOT
hopefully u have extensive research experience
write a good essay expaining your circumstances and you WILL be fine
from personal experience I had a very similar situation
I applied to AMCAS very late, have had 11 interviews (some at very good and great programs like the UCs, OSU, and Einstein), I've been accepted to 5 thus far, withdrew from an interview at a school I knew I would not attend, have 1 interview to go, and waiting to get my answer from 3 more.
Point is, with a story perhaps less optimisitc than yours, I now know I will be attending medical school in the fall and I have several options.
Go ahead and apply...just apply smartly,broadly, and sell yourself

thanks...if i may ask wut kind of stats did u have? not being nosy just wondering...would be good to hear someone close to my situation...

yea im hoping to apply earliest possible and broadly who knowss....

Last edited:
just hoping for any other ideas or experiences for this situation...?