2.9 cum GPA from West Point

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clong1180

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was an engineering major at West Point. I recieved a 2.9 cum GPA and have only taken 2 medical pre reqs chemistry and physics. What are my chances and what do I need to get into any allopathic med school?

Members don't see this ad.

I take it you resigned before your third year?

No I graduated and am in the army now. I will be out of the army next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Chances are zero, even for a West Point grad.

Suggest a post-bac or SMP, preferably one given at a medical school. Ace that, and ace MCAT (>33 score) and target MD schools that reward reinvention.

I was an engineering major at West Point. I recieved a 2.9 cum GPA and have only taken 2 medical pre reqs chemistry and physics. What are my chances and what do I need to get into any allopathic med school?

Med schools that reward reinvention? I've looked into some post bacc programs but most of those even require a 3.0.

You need 2 semesters of biology (with lab) and 2 semesters of organic chemistry ( with lab ) for medical school. You could take them at a local college ( or community college if 4 year college not possible ). Do well in those courses and perhaps add a couple social science or humanities courses so you can raise your GPA to 3.0. If you do well on the MCAT ( at least a 27 ) you would have a chance at some DO schools. MD school acceptance would probably require a MCAT of 33 or higher.

Do you think there is any mercy for engineering majors? I understand the average GPA is around 3.5 and I'm willing to go back to undergrad and major in kinesiology and get a 4.0 for 2 years if need be, but even then I'd only have around a 3.3. Did I just put myself too much in the hole to even consider medicine?

There are lots engineering majors on here so you aren't unique in that regard. Goro is on the ADCOM and is a faculty member at a school so he knows what he is talking about. Have you thought about DO ? They have grade replacement which could boost your GPA high enough for admission to DO school. You should at least research this option if you haven't already done so!

No one really cares what your major was. Do a post-bacc/SMP. You need the prereqs anyway.

Reactions: 1 user
Wow. I should have majored in underwater basket weaving.

Wow. I should have majored in underwater basket weaving.

Yeah that would have helped. I would take some classes at a community college to boost your GPA above a 3.0 and do an SMP.

Strongly concur. Being a veteran will definitely cut you some slack if you can show us that you can handle medical school. We'd be doing you no favors by admitting you if you're going to crash and burn.

Many thanks for your service to our country! Hoooahh!

No one really cares what your major was. Do a post-bacc/SMP. You need the prereqs anyway.

Reactions: 3 users
Gladly serving. I want to stay in, and my goal is to attend usuhs. How are online courses viewed? Eventually I will have to get out and take the courses that require labs because I have no options now given where I am stationed, but for now I could take a few courses one at a time online at UF like psychology, sociology, more math, nutrition etc. I know they are not "upper level" but if we are talking about purely GPA boosters will online be ok?

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't worry about all the negativity on here. People here told me not to bother applying with my stats, and I've had 5 IIs so far this year with an acceptance already. I'm also a West Point grad, social science major, not great GPA in the math and sciences.

You need to take organic chem and biology, then take the MCAT, then take some biochem and take it from there! PM me with more questions. Your MCAT score and your personal statements/ activities will be important. Plus, get excellent grades from here on out. It's much harder to get good grades at the academy than out here in the civilian world.

Also, you do have options for classes with labs. Check the University of New England online health sciences curriculum, but know that many high-tier schools and east coast schools will not be super excited about online labs. Don't let that deter you, though-- with your stats you're probably not aiming for Yale anyway, right? :)

Note-- USUHS will not accept online labs.

Last edited:
Don't worry about all the negativity on here. People here told me not to bother applying with my stats, and I've had 5 IIs so far this year with an acceptance already. I'm also a West Point grad, social science major, not great GPA in the math and sciences.

You need to take organic chem and biology, then take the MCAT, then take some biochem and take it from there! PM me with more questions. Your MCAT score and your personal statements/ activities will be important. Plus, get excellent grades from here on out. It's much harder to get good grades at the academy than out here in the civilian world.
OP is aiming for MD. As impressive as your anecdote is it isn't exactly what he is posting about.

But thanks for policing the airways! Always good to have a fact-checker around.:happy:

But thanks for policing the airways! Always good to have a fact-checker around.:happy:
Right! And congrats! I was talking about an MD acceptance! Which you are probably close to :)

Look "claduva," if you are going to come onto a PREMED forum and be demeaning, you better be Ben f****** Carson. I get it, MD is more competitive and therefore they think they are so much cooler. I just want to be a doctor and help people. I want USUHS or Mercer and MD schools are my top choice, but if I end up in a DO school I could care less. As long as in ten years I'm helping people live a healthier life. BLUF: everyone's comments so far have been very helpful, but "thanks for policing the airways"

In your post you specifically said you are shooting for an MD school. All I said was that the person's anecdote is not yet applicable to the question you SPECIFICALLY asked because she was accepted to a DO not an MD (Because it is not possible at this point in the cycle unless she applied early action, which isn't possible since she has three MD interviews). You did not ask about DO schools. You asked about MD schools. I am not being demeaning. I said nothing about it being impossible. Quite the opposite really. I said that she is in a good position to be accepted by an MD school. I am just ensuring you don't get a false impression. The reality is it is possible but the odds are not great. My comments were relevant to your question. So excuse me for doing that for you.

Look "claduva," if you are going to come onto a PREMED forum and be demeaning, you better be Ben f****** Carson. I get it, MD is more competitive and therefore they think they are so much cooler. I just want to be a doctor and help people. I want USUHS or Mercer and MD schools are my top choice, but if I end up in a DO school I could care less. As long as in ten years I'm helping people live a healthier life. BLUF: everyone's comments so far have been very helpful, but "thanks for policing the airways"

Alright, be cool. They are trying to help you out...in their own 'special' way...

I have a situation similar to yours; graduated from a service academy with a not-so-great GPA, served 6 and then dropped paperwork. Service academies are NOT set up for their students to move onto professional schools, and so they tend to murder your GPA for sport. It sucks. But hey, it was free, and you didn't need to worry about what to wear to work every day for about a decade. So that's something.

If you're OK financially and don't have a family that relies solely on your support, I'd recommend heading to a civilian university for a year or two. Knock out the prerequisites that weren't covered in the core (O-chem, bio, etc.). Unless you were a bio engineering major, think about also taking some upper level biology classes (immunology, biochem, etc.) to get a sense of how complicated biology works. You'll also get a sense of what 'college-level' work entails, and see how you stack up among your peers once the playing field is more level. Chances are, you'll be pleasantly surprised at how good a student you actually are! There are also opportunities to do research, volunteer at hospitals and clinics, and shadow physicians.

The other nice thing about being at a civilian university for a bit is that you can get a sense of the culture that your peers will be coming from, and adjust your social comportment accordingly. It takes a while to break some of the more peculiar habits that the military instills in you (most professors get freaked out if you constantly refer to them as 'sir' or 'ma'am,' for example), and you get to see what civilian life is actually like. It's not a huge issue if you want to head to USHUS, but it's worth seeing how the other 99% lives. It's not a bad way to pass the time.

You've gotta take the MCAT; if you do well on the test you can make a reasonable case that a GPA earned from an engineering program at West Point does not reflect your academic potential. I'd recommend taking it after the 2015 switch; there's not enough time left for the old exam and you should ideally be in school for a year or two before you write the exam.

Don't take the negative response on this site too much to heart, I think with a couple of years of work you can put yourself in a great position! I know that can be a bit frustrating to hear, but in the grand scheme of things, two years of extra schoolwork is not a big deal; if we're all hoping to be doctors, we'd better abandon the idea of ever being 'done' with learning anyway.

Good luck!

That seems very solid advice. I am married but no kids til I get this sorted out, at least that's the plan.

I never thought about it that way; the seeing the civilian side of things thru school idea. Cool.

Do you think it matters what civilian school I go to? I would just be limited to schools near the military base my wife is stationed at. If I can't make that work I guess we could be separated for a little.

I'm not sure...although I suspect that it's not that important. For what it's worth, when adcom types have mentioned when I did my undergrad they have always said "US [NAME REDACTED] Academy" and/or "[LOCATION REDACTED]," even though I graduated nearly a decade ago and did many of my prerequisites at my current university. Since you got your bachelor's from WP, I suspect that you'll always be thought of as 'that WP guy' no matter where you go.

My personal advice would be to stay close to home if possible; save the possible separations for med school or your wife's deployments.

West Point physics major here (3.4 cGPA, 3.66 sGPA) that is getting out next summer after eight years. Did 12 months in command (very rewarding experience) and took biology and organic chemsitry online. Got an interview invite from an Ivy League, even with online courses. It is possible! As previous posters said, invest the time and the money in good MCAT preparation; it will help balance the GPA. Feel free to contact me if you have questions, I've been trying to find some friends on SDN for a spirit dinner.

Beat Navy!

You are amusing. I especially like the way you say "you won't...." as if you know what you're talking about!

You are amusing. I especially like the way you say "you won't...." as if you know what you're talking about!

Welcome to my ignore list.

And FYI, a 2.9 gpa is below the cut off range for most osteopathic medical schools. If anyone here is "amusing," it is you.

Welcome to my ignore list.

And FYI, a 2.9 gpa is below the cut off range for most osteopathic medical schools. If anyone here is "amusing," it is you.

Indeed, it's below the cut off for most schools, whether osteopathic or allopathic. That does not mean "You won't get into an allopathic school, or an osteopathic school with that GPA." I am proof of that.

Indeed, it's below the cut off for most schools, whether osteopathic or allopathic. That does not mean "You won't get into an allopathic school, or an osteopathic school with that GPA." I am proof of that.

You took a generalization I made, and made it seem like I staked my life on that statement. It is true, most people with 2.9 GPA's "won't" get into an allopathic school. It is not impossible obviously.

You took a generalization I made, and made it seem like I staked my life on that statement. It is true, most people with 2.9 GPA's "won't" get into an allopathic school. It is not impossible obviously.

You didn't make a generalization. You used a generalization to make a very specific statement about a specific individual.

There's a big difference between "in general, people with that GPA don't get into medical school" (which would be accurate) and "You won't get into medical school" (which may not be).

You didn't make a generalization. You used a generalization to make a very specific statement about a specific individual.

There's a big difference between "in general, people with that GPA don't get into medical school" (which would be accurate) and "You won't get into medical school" (which may not be).

I suppose you're right. My mistake.

Regardless of your plans, you'll have to do a postbacc in order to complete all the prereqs. I think if you do well in your prereq postbacc (which would consist of close to 10 science courses), you should be able to have a very competitive sGPA. There's not a whole lot you can do to raise your cumulative GPA of 2.9, but the fact that you majored in engineering at West Point should hopefully give you some leeway.

Have you considered applying to USUHS?

First, thanks for your service: that's an awesome EC that will resonate with many adcoms.

However, you're going to need it. GPAs that start with 2, regardless of the number that comes after it, are not advantageous in this process. First, you need to take all the prereqs. If you're serious about MD, you should ace them. If you ace them, you've got a shot, particularly with a good MCAT.

Do you think there is any mercy for engineering majors? I understand the average GPA is around 3.5 and I'm willing to go back to undergrad and major in kinesiology and get a 4.0 for 2 years if need be, but even then I'd only have around a 3.3. Did I just put myself too much in the hole to even consider medicine?

I think there is some mercy for engineering majors. I'm in a very competitive engineering school now, and I know a few people who graduated with okay (~3.5) GPAs and went to very competitive MD schools, and 1-2 who had GPAs <3.0 and still got into MD schools. Of course, a higher GPA will significantly up your chances. The few people I know who did get into medical school with <3.0 GPAs applied to a **** ton of schools and had 1-2 interviews which luckily for them ended up materializing. So I think it is possible, but it is unlikely and you will have a much better shot if you raise your GPA a little bit.

Yeah I've resolved to take about 30 more credits. Hopefully that will help.

A 3.0 at a service academy is like a 3.5 elsewhere. The only MD program that would likely understand that is USUHS.

I think that you could have opportunities at DO programs if you do well on the USMLE.

You sound set on MD but I would take a close look at DO.