DO 2.9 GPA 525 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BulbaThor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious what my chances stand at right now of getting into a DO school.

My sGPA is 3.8
My cGPA is 2.9
My MCAT is 525.
I have over 500 hours as a phlebotomist/screener at a plasma donation center
I have over 400 hours at a center for homeless and at risk LGBT youth.
I have another 200 hours at a crisis text line.

I have a strong upward trend with a slight dip during my 3rd semester. I'm just wondering if I should bother applying now or I should do some post Bacc work and apply the following year.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
How can you get a 3.8 sGPA and a 525 MCAT, yet still have a 2.9 cGPA??? What was your major?

You would have a really good chance of getting in MD or DO if you can explain your cGPA grades.

I screwed up really bad the first time I went to college. I actually dropped out and had a whole year of F's. Yeah, I was young and dumb. Not my best moment. My new cGPA is from my recent foray into college and I'm going to graduate at the end of this semester. Thankfully, I never took any science classes during my year of F's. My major is Bio with Psych minor if that matters haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
Apply broadly and you should be fine. Also target your state MD schools, and Rosy Franklin, U Miami, BU, Tulane, Loyola, The Philly triplets, Albany, Netter, Gtown, GWU, Pitt (yes, Pitt) Vandy, Columbia, Case, Mayo, and NYMC

I'm curious what my chances stand at right now of getting into a DO school.

My sGPA is 3.8
My cGPA is 2.9
My MCAT is 525.
I have over 500 hours as a phlebotomist/screener at a plasma donation center
I have over 400 hours at a center for homeless and at risk LGBT youth.
I have another 200 hours at a crisis text line.

I have a strong upward trend with a slight dip during my 3rd semester. I'm just wondering if I should bother applying now or I should do some post Bacc work and apply the following year.

Apply broadly and you should be fine. Also target your state MD schools, and Rosy Franklin, U Miami, BU, Tulane, Loyola, The Philly triplets, Albany, Netter, Gtown, GWU, Pitt (yes, Pitt) Vandy, Columbia, Case, Mayo, and NYMC

Thank you! I really appreciate the school list! But I really might have a chance at Columbia and Mayo with my GPA?

Have you done the calculation on what it would take to get a 3.0 cGPA? I'd normally think a 0.1 difference is gpa is a negligible difference, but I think the 3.0 threshold with your absolutely beautiful MCAT and sGPA would make a significant difference in getting an MD school to bite. Of course, nothing wrong with DO schools, but if that 3.0 is at all within your grasp by banging out a few more postbac As, I think it might be worth it.

Have you done the calculation on what it would take to get a 3.0 cGPA? I'd normally think a 0.1 difference is gpa is a negligible difference, but I think the 3.0 threshold with your absolutely beautiful MCAT and sGPA would make a significant difference in getting an MD school to bite. Of course, nothing wrong with DO schools, but if that 3.0 is at all within your grasp by banging out a few more postbac As, I think it might be worth it.

It would be a whole semester of classes which I'm willing to do and apply next year instead. If it's a big help, I'd be happy to do it. But if it's not a huge difference, I'd like to save some cash haha.

It would be a whole semester of classes which I'm willing to do and apply next year instead. If it's a big help, I'd be happy to do it. But if it's not a huge difference, I'd like to save some cash haha.

How many years of good grades have you had since all the F's? With that MCAT score, it may be worth taking another year of classes to show a more sustained academic record. That MCAT score is incredible and you want to take advantage of it by giving yourself the best opportunity to get into the best school you can!

Just one semester of classes to go from 2.9 -> 3.0 cGPA with a 3.8 sGPA and 525? I think that might be worth it. Might want to ask the opinions of people with a much better sense of these things @gyngyn, @LizzyM, @WedgeDawg.

While a 0.1 difference in gpa almost always means nothing, I think the difference between a GPA starting with a 2 and starting with 3, combined with a stellar MCAT, above average sGPA, dramatic upwards trend (not even a trend so much as your first, failed attempt at college still bringing you down) could mean a lot for MD schools. Schools reward reinvention and this might be one of the most convincing reinvention stat profiles I've come across. Your ECs also look solid.

A 3.0 cgpa is still going to be a big hurdle. But a 525 is ridiculous. 3.8 sgpa is above average and I've generally heard ad coms view sgpa>cgpa in terms of importance.

Last edited:
I honestly think you should try and take a whole year of courses (4 courses, both semesters) and then apply next summer (so June 2018 for matriculation in June 2019). You have the reinvention factor that MD schools bite on and a beautiful MCAT. Work as a research assistant or do something on the side (although don't overwhelm yourself- you need As). Take summer/winter break courses if you can. There are often easy courses offered by your state/local U online with little time commitment. Yes, this padding, but you could use the gpa boost.

Just one semester of classes to go from 2.9 -> 3.0 cGPA with a 3.8 sGPA and 525? I think that might be worth it. Might want to ask the opinions of people with a much better sense of these things @gyngyn, @LizzyM, @WedgeDawg.

While a 0.1 difference in gpa almost always means nothing, I think the difference between a GPA starting with a 2 and starting with 3, combined with a stellar MCAT, above average sGPA, dramatic upwards trend (not even a trend so much as your first, failed attempt at college still bringing you down) could mean a lot for MD schools. Schools reward reinvention and this might be one of the most convincing reinvention stats profiles I've come across. Your ECs also look solid.

A 3.0 cgpa is still going to be a big hurdle. But a 525 is ridiculous. 3.8 sgpa is above average and I've generally heard ad coms view sgpa>cgpa in terms of importance.

Yeah. 18 hours would push me over a tiny bit over 3.0. I understand I have a great MCAT but I know that can only carry me so far. I would like to get in as quick as possible but I would want to get into the best schools I can. I think I'll probably take the year to up my GPA as much as I can.

Yeah. 18 hours would push me over a tiny bit over 3.0. I understand I have a great MCAT but I know that can only carry me so far. I would like to get in as quick as possible but I would want to get into the best schools I can. I think I'll probably take the year to up my GPA as much as I can.

I think that sounds like the best plan for you. You said you're comfortable with DO and you should absolutely apply to DO schools. But, a solid year of churning out As and getting that GPA north of 3.0 makes your chance of an MD (with a very well thought out school list) slightly more realistic.

Here is the AAMC data for the past three application cycles:

2015-2016
https://www.aamc.org/download/321508/data/factstablea23.pdf

GPA 3-3.19, MCAT >517
10/19 applicants accepted

GPA 2.8-2.99, MCAT >517
0/0

2013-2014 and 2014-2015 (combined, for white applicants*)
https://www.aamc.org/download/321518/data/factstablea24-4.pdf

GPA 3-3.19, MCAT 39-45
10/19 applicants accepted

GPA 2.8-2.99, MCAT 39-45
3/11 applicants accepted

*if you are URM this equation looks slightly different and that will only help you