2.9 total gpa, 2.7 science gpa 33 Q MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

celticsfan1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking into D.O. and Caribbean Medical Schools, AUC,SGU and Ross, and I was wondering what my chances are of getting into any of those schools? I also have 100+ hours of volunteering, 100+ hours of shadowing a physician and I am currently looking into doing research. I am anticipating getting my total gpa and science to at least a 3.0 by the end of this school year.

Thank You for your help and advice in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Your GPA is killing you. Even with a 33-Q on MCAT, it makes it look like you're smart but not a hard working in your classes. I'd shoot for no less than a 3.25 in science regardless of your MCAT scores.

Try taking some easier science classes. They don't all have to be physical chemistry and organic chemistry! Delay graduation if you have to and raise that GPA!

You most definitely need to work on your GPA as now it is pretty low. Your volunteering hours are very good as almost all of the colleges pay close attention to it and if it were only to volunteering you'd have a great chance to get it. Sadly, it takes much more than that and as hopefuldoc said before me, try to raise your overall GPA by any means necessary.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
You can research your chances at Caribbean schools in the International Medicine > Caribbean part of the forum.

For DO, I suggest you take advantage of the DO grade replacement policy by retaking your lowest grades (getting As, of course) so they won't be included in your application GPAs. Unless you have a steep recent consistent upward grade trend, even a very strong MCAT score is not going to replace the impression left by your very low sGPA, that you won't be able to perform well in the science-heavy curriculum of a med school. Retakes must have the same credit hours or greater, need not be at the same school, and need not have the same course title, provided the course description is demonstrably very simiar in the course catalog.

Thank You all for your help.

Would doing a masters help me out?

I have a question that might be a little off topic. The thing is, I've been reading some of the replies and advices given to members, some of which were pretty good and on point so I was wondering, how many of the people who give advice and reply have started practicing medicine already?

Would doing a masters help me out?
If you can get into a Special Masters Program and earn a high GPA, it would be extrememly helpful for DO or MD. A lot of DO programs do consider the GPA of a traditional masters (one in the hard sciences would be most helpful) as well as a few US MD programs.