2.93 gpa, 3.17 bcpm, 32qmcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iamwhohope

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think the fact that you have a lot of post-bac and grad courses will reflect well - nothing will erase an undergrad GPA, but what you did definitely was good. I think uphill trend is positive, and shows you can tackle grad courses.

I think with these numbers, you have a decent chance, provided you picked schools wisely and have great ECs/letters.

Any other things that you may have that you might want to mention contributed to your low GPA should be mentioned, either by a letter writer/adviser OR by you in the optional section. Things such as working full time jobs to support family, intensive hospitalization, etc. If there is no legitimate reason, don't look for one and write something down.

Also, if you are disadvantaged, URM, or first college grad in your family, that will help as well.

Good luck!

It would help if your graduate degree is in a hard science, but I think your best chances will be at DO schools willing to accept applications with a uGPA of less than 3.0. Many US MD schools have automatic cutoffs and may not appreciate your steep upward trend in grades. DO med schools are more forgiving of past academic problems and have a reputation for looking at the whole application. They also factor graduate degree grades into an overall application GPA, which MD schools do not. With the weak GPA, your ECs should be sterling, so continue to build them through this application year in case you will need to reapply.