2.94 ug GPA + SMP 3.5 grad GPA at Drexel

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

giggles15

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have completed the Drexel Master's program MSP + IMS.
I have 7 years experience as an ER tech working per diem drawing blood, doing EKG's, taking vital signs
2 years volunteer experience at a non-profit organization
ugrad GPA on my AMCAS is 2.94
summer research experience in grad school
2 year research experience in undergrad
graduate GPA 3.5 I've gotten all A's and B's in medical school courses
My MCAT was very borderline bs 10 vr 8 ps 10
I plan to retake august 6th

I would really appreciate any help or advice any of you might have.

Members don't see this ad.

I was able to find these fairly reassuring statistics about Drexel IMS. Your odds should be good since you exceeded a 3.0 GPA:

Drexel IMS: Interdepartmental Medical Science (IMS) Program
Hosted by: Office of Professional Studies in Health Sciences
Year started: 1981
Med school integration: 6 medical school courses, graded against the med school curve
Program duration: one year
Program starts: early August
Program ends: mid-June
Thesis requirement: none
Tuition: 22650 IS/OOS '08
Min GPA: ?
Min MCAT: ?
Class size: 140
App cost: $65.00
App opens: ?
App closes: Jul 10
MCAT prep: no
Promises: B's in SMP and 27 MCAT guarantee Drexel interview. 60% to 85% w/B's or higher accepted somewhere during SMP year, 80% to 92% w/B's or higher total accepted somewhere.

I don't know how old this is (got it from the post-bac forum). Do the stats vary from what they told you? Don't they have an advisor who helps you target appropriate schools and get good reference letters? Why wait so long to retake the MCAT when you application would then be complete on the late side?

well, I was really hoping to go to an allopathic school. That is what my heart was set on. and drexel does not differentiate between osteopathic and allopathic with those statistics.

I didn't want retake the MCAT until I am completely ready. the earliest I would consider retaking it is July 18th. You think it is really gonna hurt me by taking it Aug 6th?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you take the MCAT Aug 6, the result won't be back until a month later, and your secondary applications submitted even later than that. That would be a "late" application. I'd move the date up as much as you can and still be reasonably well prepared, or give stong consideration to applying the following season.

What do Drexel's counseling staff say about the relative percentages getting accepted to allo vs osteo of their students?

no they do not tell us those statistics, but from what I know from my fellow classmates, there are more people going to osteopathic schools than allopathic schools, and then some chose to go to the caribbean. but these students include those who did not get B's or better in the courses and did not get a guaranteed interview.

It sounds like you'll need to wow them at the interview and have a great explanation for your underperforming years that includes taking responsibility, describing how you overcame it, and telling what you learned from it. Do they have any setup where you can practice ahead of time? If not, write down questions from the the interview feedback site and ask friends and relatives to give you stress interviews (ie, challenge you, be argumentative, accuse you of things, etc).

yes that is something I need to work on. I've been told I come across "timid" or "unsure" at times, and that definately not the way I want to seem when I am trying to explain my undergraduate performance.

several people at Drexek have given me mock interviews, but I need practice more.

You guys are great for giving me your opinion. I appreciate all the help I can get.

Are there any Drexel IMP alums you could email and get their perspectives on how they got an MD admission?