Flutterbyu

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2005
Gamehendge
Status (Visible)
  1. Psychologist
I have a weird situation. I have been offered a half time APA internship that I can complete while finishing my doc work and cut out the extra year. I am really interested in this program and it is going to be a great experience, but it is not in the area I want to specialize in. I have 2 years practica experience in neuropsych, one year of which is in an ivy-league med school teaching hospital, but this APA internship is in behavioral medicine/community mental health and there will only be limited opportunities for testing during year 2. My thoughts are that I should go ahead and accept the offer and then worry about additional np training once I graduate if I don't get a postdoc right away, but then I'm also thinking that because I am saving a year, why not apply for an np internship after this one. Is that even possible? Am I insane for even considering all this?!

Any advice would be helpful, as I am getting mixed messages from professors/supervisors/colleagues. One thing I should mention is that I have opportunities (over the next 2 years) to work with a private practice np who is loosely affiliated with the hospital I am currently at and she would be able to help me get up to par with report writing, etc. The other issue is that the post doc I would really like (the only one in a specific state) will not be offering a position for the 2009 match year, as it is a 2-year program, so I would be hanging with an extra year to pursue some kind of work/additional training.

Flutterbyu

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2005
Gamehendge
Status (Visible)
  1. Psychologist
Well I guess thats my question--does completing an APA internship preclude one from pursuing a second? And would it make more sense to approach it this way or to simply spend a postdoc year getting np experience before applying for a post doc?

Neuro-Dr

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Psychologist
If you are asking whether it would preclude you from getting boarded one day, no. I fyou are asking whether it might hurt your chances of getting an APPCN fellowship, I don't know. You don't need the APPCN fellowship to get boarded or to practice NP.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.