2 away rotations at the same site - is this wise for matching purposes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crazylilazn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've been offered 2 away rotations at the same hospital. One is in June and the other is in July, with them being endocrinology and GI respectively.

I don't know if this hospital would be my #1 choice, but it would definitely be high up there. I'm also hoping to get a LOR from GI.

Should I take the June endocrinology rotation? I was thinking I might be able to get a backup LOR in case I don't get one from GI. I also thought I could *sharpen* my skills for the GI rotation and be proficient with the EMR so I wouldn't waste any time in the beginning orienting myself to the hospital. This hospital is also in CA so I'd be in CA for the summer.

Alternatively, I'd be doing a home cardiology elective for June - nothing special.

I'm hearing conflicting responses on whether or not I should. Some people are telling me that the longer I stay at the hospital, the higher chance I have of annoying a resident (to no fault of my own) since they will have a say if I am on the rank list eventually.

Does anybody have any thoughts on this? I hope this is an appropriate forum to post this in, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It's true there's always a risk of annoying people, but honestly if you're going to end up annoying people, it's likely to be within 4 weeks. The converse is true--if you're a really hard worker, then more people will see that. We typically knew within that first few days if we liked a visiting student or not--it's hard to change your personality. Work ethic can be faked so that takes a bit more time to see, but most genuine people I'd say we know by the end of the first week if you're going to recommend that student for the program.

If you're a medical student then the endo rotation can still help with matching to that program for IM. That assumes the endo fellows/attendings communicate with the IM program, but I imagine they would.

Endo is a very helpful rotation to do in the first place. So is cards. And GI. I don't see anything wrong with doing the rotation if it's a place you're interested in and you'll be learning something helpful. If you already rotated through endo then I'd say it's not worth doing again.

Keep in mind, I'm in PM&R, so maybe an IM resident/attending can provide more relevant advice.

Reactions: 1 user
I know for surgical subspecialties it would look strange to spend 2 months at the same institution. If you were going to spend 2 months on aways I would show some love to another institution, rather than look like you're just gunning for that one program (even if you really are).

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn’t do this OP. It just looks weird. Spread it around.