2 Bedroom or 3 Bedroom for Family of 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrsjwdds

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am starting school this fall and I am debating on getting a 2 bedroom or 3 bedroom. It would be my husband, son, and myself in the home. I am just a little worried because my husband snores and during college I had my desk in the room. I really would like a 3 bedroom so that I can have an office but I am debating the price difference. Is is worth to rent a 3 bedroom for a personal study space or will I be at school too much to study at home?????? HELP PLEASE

Members don't see this ad.

Is this Meharry? Find out if the campus turns into a ghost town at 5 or if students actually stay late on campus to study. I know some schools you can count on studying at home a lot.

If the cost difference isn't huge, it might be worth the investment to have that separate space if you know it might affect your performance. Or perhaps you can save the money and get some good headphones to block out the snoring.

Members don't see this ad :)
when my family first came to north america.
our family of 3 stayed in a one bed room apartment for a couple of years.

just saying

Guess I could get some good head phones or study in the living room, if need be. Just so much to think about when moving. :(

Are you set on a specific complex and just deciding between the 2BR and 3BR floor plans? If not, maybe you will come across a 2BR with a little desk/nook area in the living room area.

All through dental school we (also a family of three) have lived in a two bedroom. I study in the bedroom with the desk until my husband goes to bed. At that time, I go down to the living room. It hasn't been a big deal. I am about to start a residency and we got a third bedroom in case we decide to get a live-in nanny (the area we are going to live in, a nanny is about the same as daycare as far as cost). I think you will be fine with a two bedroom.

Thanks for the responses. Looks like a 2 bedroom will do for the next few years. Guess I will invest in some ear plugs and do majority of studying on campus. We live in a 2 bedroom now and I was looking forward to the extra space but saving on the added cost seems more beneficial. :)

with the money you save, you can invest in a nice set of noise canceling headphones.

-from a family of 3(+1) in a 2bd/2ba.

with the money you save, you can invest in a nice set of noise canceling headphones.

-from a family of 3(+1) in a 2bd/2ba.

I'm definitely looking into getting some. Thanks for the advice. :)

The hardest thing for me is/was denying my kiddo when he comes tugging on my scrubs and wants to play cars (hotwheels). When I really need to get work done, I go to the book store near out apt. I purposefully dont know the wireless password for their store, and they make strong coffee; I dont have anything to do there other than study. I have found that if I try to study at home, I always distract myself with laundry, dishes, eating, cleaning, etc. At the book store, without distractions, I can crank out 6-8 hours of studying on saturdays and sunday afternoons without flinching. You might try something like that.

It also depends on if your school has a good library and the hours they stay open, you might be better off doing that.

You also might be surprised how many people in your class are non-traditional and not only are married, but also have kids. I sure was. Out of our class of 106, 10 have kid(s) and 15 or so are married.

Best of luck, you're going to love it.