2 C's in Organic Chemistry, chance to retake both. Should I go for it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

happyheart

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I made a C- in O-Chem 1 and a C in O-Chem 2 (haven't taken the lab yet, but will probably make at least a B). I know for sure I will need to retake O-Chem 1, but I might also have the opportunity to retake O-Chem 2 as part of a study abroad program with my former O-Chem 2 professor. My question is, should I retake O-Chem 2, or take another upper division chemistry class to boost my science gpa? My overall gpa is slightly less than 3.5, but my science is much lower (haven't calculated, but the 2 C's obviously didn't help much). Also, I am going to be a junior and would like to apply next summer if possible. Thank you in advance for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

In general any time you have the opportunity to retake a course you should take advantage of it. A couple c's in orgranic chem might warrant seeking a DO but no worries either way, DO's are the new MD!

With that said a retake towards a DO is huge vs. a MD where it is a minimal improvement if any at all.

Good luck either way but a study abroad o-chem retake sounds like an awesome opportunity. Do it up!

C- is a cause for retaking as you need at least a C in a prereq.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would be weary of taking a pre-req abroad. Even though your university might say its equivalent to the course back home, medical schools might not be so open to the idea. I studied abroad. Do yourself a favor and do it too!

If you have the time, do it. OChem seems to be growing on the MCAT, at least from the last few test dates, and a grade of C shows you didn't master the content. Take it again, get A's, master the info and improve your GPA.

Make sure you can retake, though. At my school, once you take a course that has pre-reqs, you can't retake the pre-reqs. AKA once I took Ochem 2, I was locked into my Ochem 1 grade. Every school is different though!

Thank you all for your advice! I will definitely try to retake both of them then. Also, do any of you know how taking an unrequired upper division chem class, besides biochem, would look? I want to prove that my chemistry isn't terrible, just that I had a really bad year when I took organic.

Hmm. I would retake the first class (the C-) and not retake the second semester. Instead, take a new, upper division course in the topic. That way you can say that you thought your time would be better spent learning new things. It will affect your GPA in the same way as retaking the class. It's more impressive to get an A (or B) in a class you are taking for the first time, rather than the second time.

This site backs that up:
http://www.vpul.upenn.edu/careerservices/gradprof/healthprof/strengthen.html

Thank you all for your advice! I will definitely try to retake both of them then. Also, do any of you know how taking an unrequired upper division chem class, besides biochem, would look? I want to prove that my chemistry isn't terrible, just that I had a really bad year when I took organic.

Make sure you can do well in that upper level class (get notes, old tests, old quizzes) before you start. 2 C's in orgo and then another C (or worse) in an even more difficult higher level class is just going to confirm that chemistry isn't a strength of yours. It's a gamble taking the upper level course in a subject that isn't your best.

So I went to go and talk to one of the pre-med advisors at my school, and she actually recommended not retaking o-chem II or taking the upper division chem class. Her reasoning was that the point I was trying to prove could be proven by taking and doing well in upper division bio classes instead. What do you guys think about that? Does it matter if your chem gpa is low as long as the bio one can compensate for it?

Honestly... I've spoken to an adcom about re-taking courses...

Personally, there isn't much to LEARN really from re-taking an undergraduate course in this one adcoms opinion. Retaking a course isn't going to show anyone anything. Now... taking a harder, upper level course will demonstrate that you have the capacity to succeed.

Big deal, you got a few C's in organic chemistry. Not the end of the world. It used to be. But not anymore. Just like people couldn't take the MCAT more than 3 times in their lifetime. That's gone.

Little secret, if you take the MCAT more than 3 times, and show improvement.... the LAST/BEST score is what most schools care about. Although some schools are trending towards averaging.

Now back to organic..
The reason you got the Cs... if you figure that out, you're good to go. Learn from your mistakes, brush yourself off and keep getting on the horse. School is a game, sometimes you gotta get hit in the face before you muscle up and learn how to play.

Also, it could be that you're just not organically inclined. This is NOT a problem. Ask any MD/DO that is not in research exactly how much organic chemistry mechanisms they use in day to day practice. Organic is nitty gritty memorization that really has no relevance. Not like cool stuff like physiology or anatomy that you can actually conceptualize.

If organic wasn't a requirement of bio majors and most medical schools... instead of 500 people taking it.. there'd be 50 people taking it. (Comes from an organic prof at my university).

Best of luck. Move on and upward!:luck:

Thanks, CodeBlu! Your post was pretty enlightening. So would it matter if the upper division class was chem or bio? The only upper division chem classes I can take are biochem or inorganic chem. I am currently taking biochem but don't know if I should take inorganic also.

Thanks, CodeBlu! Your post was pretty enlightening. So would it matter if the upper division class was chem or bio? The only upper division chem classes I can take are biochem or inorganic chem. I am currently taking biochem but don't know if I should take inorganic also.

Ask the med schools you're most interested in... what they would like to see.

Most of them will be transparent with you.