2 IR aways

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RUcereus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on doing 2 IR aways during senior year? Does this look bad?

Members don't see this ad.

IMO unless you are specifically applying for DIRECT pathway positions, two IR rotations may not be as useful as doing one and the other in DR.

IMO unless you are specifically applying for DIRECT pathway positions, two IR rotations may not be as useful as doing one and the other in DR.

Thanks for the reply.

I am doing a diagnostic away. I actually applied for a neurorads rotation, however that was, I am guessing, full. The school I applied to called me and said they wanted me to rotate through, however all they had available was a IR rotation. Since I was already rotating though IR when they called, I couldn't change the current rotation. I am interested in IR, however, I want to do diagnostic first. During this rotation, I am sneaking (with permission) down to the reading room.

Thanks again, let me know if this changes anything.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did two away's in IR my senior year. I dont think it looks bad at all. The only thing you need to remember is that you need to really perform on these rotations. Not in terms of skills really as much as in constant effort. An IR rotation is a great way to network, get in with a program you want to go to etc, but it will not be a light rotation. When you are doing an away, you need to be the first one there and the last to go. Always put in the extra effort and don't complain. As long as you are willing to commit to a hard month (though fun), I would stronly advise it. Some of the connections I made during these away months I have continued via SIR meetings etc and now as the fellows and attendings have spread out I find that I have more connections for fellowship than I otherwise would have.

I did two away's in IR my senior year. I dont think it looks bad at all. The only thing you need to remember is that you need to really perform on these rotations. Not in terms of skills really as much as in constant effort. An IR rotation is a great way to network, get in with a program you want to go to etc, but it will not be a light rotation. When you are doing an away, you need to be the first one there and the last to go. Always put in the extra effort and don't complain. As long as you are willing to commit to a hard month (though fun), I would stronly advise it. Some of the connections I made during these away months I have continued via SIR meetings etc and now as the fellows and attendings have spread out I find that I have more connections for fellowship than I otherwise would have.

Thanks. I absolutely love IR. The program I am at allows me to do CVL's, abcess drains, para/thoras, and biopsies (of large targets). I have also scrubbed in and helped with a bunch of TACE's, TIPs, RFA's etc.. SO AWESOME! The residents are great and extremely helpful. The day seems to fly by and typically lasts from 6am to 7 or 8pm.

Your advice is solid, thanks. Any other tips are greatly welcomed!

For all you med students doing IR, Kandarpa's book is awesome, I get a case list in the evening before I go home and read about the procedure coming up the next day. This program has a hardcore teaching/pimp session every morning and you will look like a freaking genius if you have read up on the cases. Kandarpa has all the numbers and details you need to know. Get the book.