MD & DO 2 MCAT Scores (Low CARS) What Are My Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Packers12

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I recently took the mcat in August 2016 for a second time and got a 507 (128/122/130/127). No clue what happened with the cars section never scored that low when I was practicing. My first mcat was in August 2015 and I got a 504 (126/124/128/126). I've submitted all of my secondaries now and am nervously waiting for interviews. Aside from a low cars score I think the rest of my application is pretty solid.

Major: Biochem
race: white
Illinois resident
3.8 cGPA and 3.7 sGPA
~150 clinical volunteering hrs
~50 shadowing hours
~200 nonclinical volunteering hours
~700 hours of computational research experience
~3000 hours from working all four years of undergrad

I'd really appreciate if you guys can let me know what my chances are for both MD and DO programs. I've applied to around 28 MD programs and 7 DO schools.

Thanks a bunch!

Members don't see this ad.

Probably no chance for MD; very good chance for DO.

Your best chances will be at the DO schools but you could receive MD interviews at some of the lower tier schools. Where did you apply to for MD and DO?

Members don't see this ad :)
Your best chances will be at the DO schools but you could receive MD interviews at some of the lower tier schools. Where did you apply to for MD and DO?

MD
Albany
Rosalind
EVMS
FIU
Quinnipiac
Hoftstra
Indiana
Loyola Stritch
MCW
Meharry
Oakland Beaumont
Rush
St. Louis
SIU
Tulane
USF
UAB
University of Arizona
David Geffen
UCF
Gainesville
UIC
University of Iowa - Carver
University of Kentucky
VCU
WVU
Wright State

I just got a rejection from WVU

DO
AZCOM
CCOM
DMU
VCOM
A.T. Still - Kirksville
MSUCOM
Nova

You need a broader list of DO schools.

Only reason I am reluctant to apply to more DO schools is because it's pretty late into the application cycle so I feel like it would be a waste of money.

Only reason I am reluctant to apply to more DO schools is because it's pretty late into the application cycle so I feel like it would be a waste of money.

Not for DO, the cycle is longer. You need to get on AACOMAS and add another 5-10 schools today, you would be fine. Your current list is too top heavy minus VCOM and it wouldn't be surprising if you didn't get in with only those schools on your list.

Reactions: 1 user
Not for DO, the cycle is longer. You need to get on AACOMAS and add another 5-10 schools today, you would be fine. Your current list is too top heavy minus VCOM and it wouldn't be surprising if you didn't get in with only those schools on your list.

Are there any schools you would recommend?

The schools shown in red/bold are mere donations, unless one of them is your state school. 100% agree that you need to add more DO schools.

Albany
Rosalind
EVMS
FIU

Quinnipiac
Hofstra
Indiana

Loyola Stritch
MCW
Meharry
Oakland Beaumont
Rush
St. Louis
SIU
Tulane
USF
UAB
University of Arizona
David Geffen
UCF
Gainesville
UIC

University of Kentucky
VCU

Wright State

DO
AZCOM
CCOM
DMU
VCOM
A.T. Still - Kirksville
MSUCOM
Nova[/QUOTE]

Okay so I sent my AACOMAS application to MUCOM, ATSU-SOMA, WVSOM, and Kansas City. Out of money so I'll leave my application at that.

The schools shown in red/bold are mere donations, unless one of them is your state school. 100% agree that you need to add more DO schools.

Albany
Rosalind
EVMS
FIU

Quinnipiac
Hofstra
Indiana

Loyola Stritch
MCW
Meharry
Oakland Beaumont
Rush
St. Louis
SIU
Tulane
USF
UAB
University of Arizona
David Geffen
UCF
Gainesville
UIC

University of Kentucky
VCU

Wright State

DO
AZCOM
CCOM
DMU
VCOM
A.T. Still - Kirksville
MSUCOM
Nova
[/QUOTE]

I'm from Illinois so I take it Rosalind, SIU, and UIC are still possibilities for me?

I'm from Illinois so I take it Rosalind, SIU, and UIC are still possibilities for me?[/QUOTE]

Where do you live in a Illinois? SIU has a pretty specific area they recruit from. Most people say if you live north of I80 your chances are slim.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

I'm from Illinois so I take it Rosalind, SIU, and UIC are still possibilities for me?

Where do you live in a Illinois? SIU has a pretty specific area they recruit from. Most people say if you live north of I80 your chances are slim.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app[/QUOTE]

I live about 10 miles north of I-80

Hey guys I have one more question,

This is just for my own curiosity but of the two mcat scores that I have, 504 (126/124/128/126) and 507 (128/122/130/127), which one is considered a better score?

I know the 507 is technically higher and 3 out of the 4 sections are great, but is it the 504 because it is a little more balanced? I'd like to hear everyone's input.

Thanks.

Hey guys I have one more question,

This is just for my own curiosity but of the two mcat scores that I have, 504 (126/124/128/126) and 507 (128/122/130/127), which one is considered a better score?

I know the 507 is technically higher and 3 out of the 4 sections are great, but is it the 504 because it is a little more balanced? I'd like to hear everyone's input.

Thanks.

I know Loyola's average MCAT is a 504; several schools I applied to had lower new MCAT scores than old. Probably going to change this year, as more people apply with the new one. Your GPA is above average. Not sure why people are saying you have little chance for MD (Unless they're being sarcastic haha). Too bad you don't live in TX- they love high gpas and are fine with lower mcats.

I know Loyola's average MCAT is a 504; several schools I applied to had lower new MCAT scores than old. Probably going to change this year, as more people apply with the new one. Your GPA is above average. Not sure why people are saying you have little chance for MD (Unless they're being sarcastic haha). Too bad you don't live in TX- they love high gpas and are fine with lower mcats.

Where did you find that average MCAT for Loyola? That's about a 28 on the old scale. They seem to report an average MCAT of 33.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 users