2 Months, 2 Weeks, 2 Days...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pureride

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know the old saying about step 1, 2 and 3...
2 months, 2 weeks, 2 days, more recently I have heard
"2 weeks, 2 days and a #2 pencil.
BUT, realistically, how much study time needs to be put into step 3?

I am an MS-IV with steps 1 and 2 out of the way and I am jsut looking to finish step 3 early so that during my residency I can devote whatever free time I mayget to enjoying myself.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

step 3 is a piece of cake, don't even sweat it. before all the work hour regulations in NY, residents used to take the exam post call and did just fine. 'sides...residents in super specialties pass their step 3.

the only thing i did for step 3 was check out the cd rom to do the patient simulator, and that's about it.

at least in ny, i think you have to have intern year almost completed before you can apply, and completed intern year in order to get your license.

hth

Thanks hth!

Is the CD that you are talking about the one from FSMB or something I have to buy?

Take care

Originally posted by edfig99
at least in ny, i think you have to have intern year almost completed before you can apply, and completed intern year in order to get your license.

I think all states require at least a minimum of 9 months of internship before you can sit for Step 3. Most require a year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thats not true, geek. Many states including CA and Maryland allow you to take step 3 w/o any internship. That means you can apply through these states, you dont actually have to go there to sit for the exam. For further details, visit fsmb.org.

Originally posted by edfig99
step 3 is a piece of cake, don't even sweat it. before all the work hour regulations in NY, residents used to take the exam post call and did just fine. 'sides...residents in super specialties pass their step 3.

the only thing i did for step 3 was check out the cd rom to do the patient simulator, and that's about it.

hth

Actually I've talked to a number of people who took Step 3 during the first half of their internship year, so I don't think you have to have completed most of your internship year. These people were all doing their internship in NY.

Imhotep is right. Different states have different requirements, ranging from no months (CA, CT) to 1 year of residency. I'm in Illinois, registered through California, and took Step 3 (in Chicago) after 6 months of PGY1 residency. I have no intention of ever practicing in California, but you can register through whatever state you want simply for their eligibility requirements.

Originally posted by Pureride
Thanks hth!

Is the CD that you are talking about the one from FSMB or something I have to buy?

Take care

hey pureride..hth is actually "hope this helps" ;)

the CD is the one that comes with the registration material. you don't have to buy anything. you can actually download the material off the usmle link at the fsmb website...
http://www.usmle.org/step3/test.htm

actually wasn't the saying:

2 months for Step 1
2 weeks for Step 2
2 *pencils* for Step 3

that's what i remember my friends telling me a few years ago. Then again, there are no pencils utilized anymore...

cheers