2 months to study... Schedules, best books?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

~Rana

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have 2 months to study for USMLE Step 1, does anyone have any good schedules that have worked out for them in the past?

What books do you recommend? I dont want to buy too many and not finish them and feel stressed.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Rana!

I will have probably 4-5 weeks to study, and that means doing nothing but studying for Step 1. I've been looking around for various schedules and there seem to be some interesting 6 week schedules out there in the internet ether.

As far as books, I hear a mixture is best so you don't get bogged down in one style and it keeps things fresh. First Aid, Goljan, a BRS book here and there, and a bunch of questions from at least a book or two.

I'll be checking with upperclassmen to see what they did and will get back with you on this. Are you taking the exam this semester?

http://themedstudentexperience.blogspot.com

Thank you so much for the reply! I would really appreciate it if you got back to me on that.

No, I'm not taking it this semester...I was planning to take it sometime next Fall (October-ish) and I have 2 months before that to dedicate to studying. I hope it's enough time.

Your blog is so entertaining by the way! :)

hi guys....
i'm Amr from egy. i just finished my 6th year in menofia faculty and waitin the result " i hope it goes good" .....and i will start my practice in March
well i wanna know ur advices to me about USMLE and whts the best time to start studyin it and where to find useful infos 4 me
thanx and waitin ur replys....

Members don't see this ad :)
There is a popular study plan known as the "Taus plan", I'm using a modified version of it and have called it "My Plan" :D Yes that is very original I know! I found it somewhere on the forum a couple months ago and it has been highly regarded, and NO I don't get any kick backs for making these statements but jam ust saying what I found to be very helpful. Good luck!

I'll second that last post. If you know FA cold, and i mean COLD, you'll do just fine. Like, 99 fine. I've written in the past about this kind of stuff, so feel free to peruse:[removed]. Or, if you don't trust me =P, here are some other good resources: [removed]

Hope that helps!
-Scrub

Last edited by a moderator:
You could also check out the 2008 and 2009 USMLE experience threads for a ton of prep examples, timeframes, and score results.

Hi Rana,

I'm pretty much not saying anything new:

First Aid For The USMLE Step 1 2008/9

BRS Physiology

Rapid Review Pathology

http://usmleworld.com/ This is for practice questions. Go through as many as you can! Seriously, as many as you can.

The full list can be found here

If you have time, and money, you can find more books here

Take care Rana and all the best :)

hi,
peniscaw,thank you for the link,the schedule is great because i have only 3months for step1& iam thinking of adding kaplan notes to my reading

Thank you for all those helpful replies! On another note, even though this might not be the right thread for it but since you guys are so great with replying....what is an elective?!

What I understand is it's like an internship that you have to do while being a med student at hospitals to make your resume look good. So to apply for residency you need to have your MD, your USMLE Step 1, 2 CK & CS, recommendation letters, and electives? Anything else?

How do you find a suitable one for you? How do you apply?Can you choose to do it in any department? How many electives do you need to do? Thanks again.

First of all, I have an impresson that you are not enrolled in a US med school so I'm gonna give you some inforamtion accordingly.

what is an elective?!

It's basically a rotation that your school allows you to do anywhere you like. The number of elective rotations vary according to the med scool. You can do them at you school or elsewhere in the world. It makes you a more competitive applicant if you do your electives in the states oncw you apply for residency.

So to apply for residency you need to have your MD, your USMLE Step 1, 2 CK & CS, recommendation letters, and electives? Anything else?

Theoretically, Step 1 and letters of recommendations would be enough. However, you would be more competitive if you are ECFMG-certified(ie graduate and passed Step 1,2 and CS). Needless to say, US electives make you a better applicant as well. Other things to help polish your CV include research projects, publications and volunteer work.

How do you find a suitable one for you? How do you apply?Can you choose to do it in any department? How many electives do you need to do? Thanks again.

These details have been discussed thoroughly in some threads in the international forum. Anyway, you have to approach each med school separately. Each med school has their own requirements. the requirements may include any combination of the following: Application fee, tuition fee, TOEFL, Step 1, Malpractice insurance and health insurance.

Theoretically, you can choose any department you want. However, the rotation you are interested in might turn out to be full once you apply and have your application processed. I wouldn't worry much about this issue anyway.

Usually, each elective lasts 4 weeks. The more you do the better.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm an American doing med school overseas so that's probably why I wasn't familiar with the things you just mentioned. I understood it all except the last part on how to apply...what if I don't go to med school in the US...how do I approach each med school seperately if I'm not a US graduate? Can't I apply to hospitals? I'm sorry I'm a little confused, can you elaborate a little more on that point please?

The reason I decided to post here and not in the international forums was because I thought this topic was more general and not just international, plus the fact that I wasn't getting any replies in the international forum.

Thank you so much.

Last edited: